Do you think (most) men are less masculine than say 50-100 years ago?

I read articles about a 20% or so testosterone decline over the past 30 years (and the decreasing was already in progress for quite a time).

(I noticed things like harder handshakes, lower voices, more masculine faces and more macho behavior, harder work environment, world wars and the cold war and more presence of racism).

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah it is but I think it's because times have changed. Masculinity isn't necessarily "needed" since I can't think of a better word...

• Metrosexual have been risen in demand thee days!

• I didn't neither I was just trying to explain that even though I care about my looks I'm not feminine (and in my opinion) not feminine looking just a little old-school that's often a stereotype: caring about your looks and being feminine

• Got it, I see, very true!

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, if the testosterone levels are decreasing at such a rate, then that is very interesting. What possible reasons could there be for this decline? Well, IMHO, there's only one which makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. Testosterone may be the primary male sex hormone, but it's also an anabolic steroid, with its anabolic effects including growth of muscle mass and strength, increased bone density and strength, and stimulation of linear growth and bone maturation. It also increases competitiveness and aggression, and plays a role in regulating cognitive and physical energy. And many of these purposes are now effectively redundant, or at the very least far less necessary than they once were. Who needs stronger muscles and bones if you no longer need to perform active physical labor to support yourself, when machines do all the labor for you? Competitiveness and aggression are impediments in a modern, civilized society, one which emphasizes egalitarianism and peace above all else. And regulating our cognitive or physical energy isn't as important any more, because we have resource abundance supplying up with as many calories as we need and then some. Testosterone just isn't needed to the same extent that it once was; the advantages of having higher levels of testosterone no longer outweigh the disadvantages, and thus the average levels of testosterone are in decline.

• Also worth mentioning- The period of the early 1930s to the 1950s was called "The Golden Age of Steroid Chemistry", because this was when they first managed to artifically synthesise testosterone. Work during this period progressed quickly, with research in this golden age proving that this newly synthesized compound, testosterone, and a family of family of compounds derived from it, were potent multipliers of muscle, strength and well-being- from the start of WW2 into the 1960's, literally everyone was being prescribed testosterone supplements, male and female alike. Coincidentally enough, this trend of prescribing testosterone boosters to improve people's health was only phased out and ended in the late 1970's- immediately before the 22% decline in testosterone levels began in 1980. Maybe it's just because we aren't popping those testosterone-boosting pills, like our papas, grandpas and great-grandpas used to back in the day...

What Girls Said 8

• I really like older men... I'm beginning to suspect this may be why... lol

• hope so. fuck macho.

probably why i like younger guys.

• More dumber I'd say.

• Uh yeah

• Yeah I do.. partly because of our culture I assume

• Of course they are

• Not most more like 95 % of them...

• Yees, so many things has estrogen in it so women have too much estrogen that leads to such high cancer rates. And mens testosterone is lowering while their estrogen is becoming higher. Maybe one day you'll have as much estrogen as a woman.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes because one of feminist teachings is to forbid and punish masculinity as being toxic, saying that its the real reason of why women are raped or treat inferior as such. So what they are doing is trying to social engineer our culture to raise men from children in to believing that women are better than men which creates beta orbiters, white knights, simps and mangina's which makes women empowered.

• To be honest I think you're associating a small amount of man-haters and attention seekers with feminism.

• I can't exactly sum up feminism in a nutshell as feminism is such a broad topic to discuss but since we were talking about masculinity they are a few aspects regarding that which I explained above. Feminism is about female supremacy who aim to have a system which they have complete control over that suits them. Like having special treament/privilege, using sexual strategic laws to lock alpha males down or screw men over with resources. They use culture, media or social engineering to demonstrate female empowerment or superiority and belittling beta men like they are disposable utilities while praising alpha males. An blah blah I could go on forever but I will run out of space lol

Trust me study it on a deeper level and you will get the big picture. Feminism is camouflaged and not many people see their true intentions. I disagree with feminism because its cancer. On the other level of it is that elites funded it to destroy the family unit, western civilization and to tax women.

• i dont think you can associate testosterone with hegemonic masculinity. but indeed testosterone levels are lowering due to our unhealthy lifestyles. but if you look at how fitness culture is now on the rise all over the world. testosterone levels will rise in men as well as women.

• I hope not I like feminine women...

• its not like working out is going to mess up the hormonal balance in women that they suddenly become masculine. also testosterone is the sex hormone so women will only become more sexual.

• Yeah but I mean muscular women... Not my type to be honest.

• yep men today are a bunch of whiny pussies

• Absolutely. My grandfather says we are all pussies today and I agree with him lol

• YES.

Men used to be intelligent, kind AND tough as fuck.

Now men are mostly only one of the above. Or worse, a mangina.

• of course

• No.. They're actually worse. They are "Alpha".

• Some are some aren't.

• That's quite an obvious answer man...

• There use to be tons of civilized city folks that didn't like to get their hands dirty or to get into trouble with the law or the good lord... There have always been weak men and strong men... Movies and books just tend to glorify the hero over the coward.

• I was just giving my opinion and asking about yours but yeah that's probably true.

• Probably but it's due to how the human world has changed. It's not my fault I'm more of a girl lol

• Definitely

• I think (most) women are less feminine than before definitely. Men I don't know.

• I think there's a difference between "macho" and "masculine". Masculine, I would say, is a relatively neutral, perhaps positive term. Masculine men are confident, but not arrogant, they don't need to put out a persona for the rest of the world to see because they know who they are. Masculine men respect other men and women equally. Macho men, on the other hand, are very insecure, they feel threatened by real masculine men, so they try to promote themselves in a "hypermasculine" way, which is really just a caricature of real masculinity. They are deferent to men who they fear are better than them, and have no compunction in berating men who they feel are equal or below themselves. They generally don't respect women, as they see women as a "badge" of their supposed masculinity, rather than people with whom you can just interact with.

Now that I've made my definitions, I will say this: I think today we have far more macho men, and far fewer masculine men.

• I think you have people who are truly more dominant (leaders) and people acting like they are to protect themselves.

• No i dont think so... Old folks are just sad their idea of masculine is not on the menu.

• I don't know man... But if the results are correct than there is a huge decrease.

• Well I think it's not only that but you're of course free to have your own opinion.

• yeah thanks man.. Just my opinion :)