For those with depression, Why do I feel worse later in the day to the evening?

Like I could be having a good day till four or five o'clock then I just want to crawl into a hole and die.
This happens fairly frequently like maybe 10 times a month and it happened today

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure mine does this so much. I mean Sunday evenings are the absolute worst but other than that I don't know, if I feel like shit it's usually as soon as I wake up :/ but I do understand it

• Sunday evening. This. I feel the same way. To me it's because I am worry about my work on the next day.

• @desidoll I think it's normal to feel that way even if you love your job. I totally get all those feelings too, Sunday afternoon you start feeling it and by evening it's full blown :(

• Thanks for MHO :D

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's just your mind realising you have to go through the same arduous routine after you wake up.

Could just be as it gets later your mind just thinks. 'I can't enjoy tonight because I know have work tomorrow' or something like that. I'm not sure. I get the same feeling too.

For me it's worse when you wake up in the morning. It's not uncommon for me to just lie there for 30mins-1hour just trying to gather the mental enthusiasm to drag myself out of bed.

What Girls Said 5

• I think it's because during the day you can keep yourself more occupied, it is brighter outside, we can go out easier, see people etc.. but come evening it starting to get darker and we can feel more alone and then anxiety/depression can feel worse. Then there's also the direct link to sunlight which increases serotonin levels (serotonin is also known as the happy hormone) - it's actually been proven that regular exposure to sunshine can increase happiness levels in people with SAD or clinical depression.

• I don't even have clinical depression and I have this problem like nearly everyday

• I was diagnosed when I was young, also three hours ago i was feeling great then all of a sudden,
      I just got really depressed and now I feel like I want to crawl into a comfortable dark space and die

• On a smaller scale I totally get that. I really have no idea what the cause is but I am fairly certain there is a logical reason

• Probably your brain reacting to the stimulation during the day. Take it easy, take it slow when you can try to relax and unwind.

• That's so weird, I've been like this lately too. I could be having a great day but once evening/nighttime hits, I fill like shit.

• Because there's less to do then so your mind isn't distracted

What Guys Said 4

• Well thats odd. Their is something called sundowning which affects people with alzhemiers and dementia wich causes a worsening of symptoms around the times you are mentioning. Maybe your depression is functioning in a similar way? I assume it has nothing to do with light levels?(Light exposure helps elevate mood and thus could excacerbate depression when you haven't gotten enough sunlight). Obviously I am not suggesting that you have dementia or anything but perhaps their is a similar mechanism that is causing you to have similar symptoms. Here is a list of things to do when affected by sundowning, maybe it will help you with your depression: www.healthline.com/.../dementia-sundowning#2
    Either way good luck (you might want to mention it to your doctor).

• I feel like when you go to sleep, your mind sort of reminds itself that things are gonna be okay. This means that you're fine for some time but then later in the day it comes back.

• because thoughts and memories pile onto your conscious.

it's why you feel best the first moments you wake up w/ a clear mind.

• This is actually a phenomenon, not sure what it is called. But just know what you are experiencing is more common than you think