Tips for a soon to be college freshman?

Ok so I'm happy to say i was accepted to Middle Georgia State University. Now that I've been accepted to college, what are some tips you guys can provide for a newbie like me?

Also i have a couple of questions.

How many classes per day do you take in college?

And also, would you say college is fun and definitely worth it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Congratulations first off! You made it!!

The only tips I have for you is to study well and take the classes seriously, because professors dont take too kindly to students who dont want to educate themselves. Always be prepared in class with reading material, always stay one step ahead of the professor. They like to call on the shy ones, so do your best NOT to be shy. Oh yeah, get comfortable with speaking in front of the class, they like to give presentations!

I had 3 classes in one day.

College is not meant to be fun, but it is worth it. Just dont give up.

Best of luck!

• I don't know about the "shy one" part. There's always a few shy people in my class and they weren't called on at all.

• Then you'll be fine. Unless you have a problem talking in front of other people during a lecture. It should be like high school when a teacher calls on a student to ask a question.

• @Abe90 Yeah i can handle that, it's only embarrassing when you are exposed for not paying attention lol or when you're not in the conversation

What Girls Said 8

• Awesome :) College is going to be so much fun.

Go by credit hours, don't take ANY more than 16 your freshmen semester (preferably about 15) (4-5 classes, but not all hard.) Yes, each credit point counts. Each is an hour or more away from studying, socializing, and anything else you want to do.

It's fun if you get involved and meet some good friends. Since you're a freshmen, you'll be living in a dorm-so, you should really get to know your hall and create some great friends. :)

Manage your meal plan if you don't get unlimited. Also, manage your snacks. Set up rules about snacks with your roommies. If they eat all your cheetos, you might hate them, haha. Some people are more open to share-others aren't, just say some rules. Try to do this for other big things-gaming systems, toiletries etc. :)

If you guys are in a dorm hall with bathrooms down the hall, sweet! No clean up except the sink.

Study! Really, DO set aside a few hours each week to go to the library, hunker down, and get your study on. For real, don't skip this. You need to set a routine and do it. If you don't set good habits now, you'll be freaking out your junior and senior year.

If you ever feel like you're about to break-go to a counselor, they're really helpful and paid to help.

Don't get caught up in stupid stuff. I dated a guy who had all the accolades in high school. He got to college and lost ALL his scholarships. Just because your friend doesn't need to study or invites you to a party every weekend, doesn't mean that's gonna work for you. Be able to say no to fun stuff. The rule I have in college is that if there's 2 fun things I want to go to and my grade isn't good, I have to sacrifice one of those. Without sacrifice, you can't gain anything.

Anyways, that was longer than I thought it would be. Enjoy college and congrats, freshman :) I'm a senior >:D

• Take risks. Do things outside of your comfort zone. I found a major I love just by taking a risk.
    Take care of your mental health
    Don't try to make all your classes on a few days. It's better for them to be spread out because you won't have million different things due in one day.
    Check all your professors on ratemyprofessor. com
    Find a way to effectively study, my way of studying is two hours of hardcore studying then I reward myself with watching one episode of a show on Netflix.
    Do ALL extra credit
    An easy way to make friends is to leave your dorm room door open, people will just walk in and introduce themselves
    Spend money wisely
    Read what you will be doing in class beforehand, then the lecture will be like an in depth review.
    Don't ever buy from the bookstore. Use Amazon.
    Try not to register for 8 am classes. Just because you managed it in high school doesn't mean you can know.
    Don't compare yourself to others. My best friend from high school bought a house a month after graduation and is expecting a baby. I work at Round Table, still live at home, and am waiting for football season to start so my brain will stay occupied until Game of Thrones returns on HBO. On the bright side, I am starting my nursing classes this winter.
    Parks and Recreation is the greatest show on Netflix, just in case you need a good laugh.

• Choose a major that has great job prospects and join a lot of clubs

• If you're gonna have roommates I suggest putting your name on your food or putting so much food in fridge because someone might eat everything. Actually just buy food day by day just to prevent that if you can. My sister is about to be a sophomore in college and she wasted a lot money freshman year buying lots of food at the beginning of every month only to be hungry and broke by the end of the month because of all that. Spend your money wisely.

• There is a minimum number of credits you have to take to be considered a full time student. Taking 5 classes per semester is good. College is SO worth it. It is what you make it. Join clubs and organizations. Talk to new people and make friends. Time management is important. You will need to put your academics before your social life but your social life is important as well. It is a balance that you will get used to with time. Keep up communication with close friends from home and family.

• Are you living in the dorms there? That was something my parents made me do for the 1st year. I was like ehh... ok. But it ended up creating some of the best and most fun college memories ever!

• Congratulations on your acceptance!
    I'll try my best to give you some tips, I'm a junior and a nursing student by the way.
    1. I would say one major things is to be ORGANIZED. have a planner and use it, don't rely on your memory so much lol. Have folders for each class and match them with your notebooks. If you have a computer make folders for each class on the desktop, so you have places to put papers a computer assignments on there, and they'll be easy to find.
    2. Don't procrastinate on studying or doing homework, I try my best to do my homework right after the class because the information is fresh in my head, giving me more free time to chill with friends and etc.
    3. Have a group of people to study with, especially with math and science courses
    4. Make sure your teachers know your name. I became best buds with one of my professors, so when it came to recommendations and grading I had nothing to worry about.
    Now for your questions
    1. The most classes I've taken in one day is 2, but I don't dorm so that influenced my decision.
    2. College can be fun if you enjoy your major and hang with the right people. I love being a nursing major, although I'm always an emotional reck during finals week lol I hit some bumps though with hanging with the wrong people, they liked drama. Girls can be really catty. I feel college is worth it if your striving to do something you REALLY want to do. join some clubs also, only if it won't take from your school time and like I said don't procrastinate so that when the weekend comes you can go out and have fun or relax without worrying about your school work.

I hope this helped!

• Don't lose control, focus on work, have some fun but not to the point where you don't know who you are anymore/ so you're not hungover crying about some college guy as you do the walk of shame to your dorm. (My sister went to college haha, I'm going to be a freshmen at UCLA this upcoming fall)

What Guys Said 11

• Fun and definitely worth it... Hmm... Sex? That would number 1. 😂 Seriously though, you'll be surprised how much everyone is DTF at school. Join activities & clubs, between that and your classes that'll be how you make friends. If you're living in the dorms, talk to everyone. Literally everyone. The more people you know (and that like you), the more likely you'll be invited to parties, activities, etc.

Class wise I'd say 15-18 units is solid. You need 15 units a semester to graduate in the traditional time frame. Any more than 18 units in a semester and you'll drown (even if you were smart in high school). Most of my roommates did 12 and would up having to stay an additional semester. Keep in min if you want a minor you'll wind up having another 21-30units on top of your degree.

Grades don't matter unless you're going to grad school. You can have a 2.5 & no one cares, "C's get degree's." If you do want to have at least the possibility of grad school, try and maintain at least 3.0-3.2 GPA. Those were the requirements that were typical when I was looking at grad schools

• socialize with as many students as you can. Join clubs or groups. Don't procrastinate on a lot of assignments. I know we procrastinate every once in a while, but don't start a habit. Get into coffee if you don't drink it yet. It'll be your aid to help you get through those sleepless nights lol

I take 5 courses in a week adding up to 15 credit hours. So maybe on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, I'd take 3 courses. Then on Tuesdays and thursdays, I'd take the other 2 that i have left.

College can be fun. And it can cause some stressful moments, like doing things that we're not good at. But depending on the major, it can definitely be worth. Just make sure that your major is in demand

• i had 3-4 classes a day typically. i had a blast at college. if i could do it again i would. fuck we had some wild parties.

• I'd say stay in the dorm for Freshman year. Study quite well.

• Don't drink the water.

• Rush ato or stay gdi

• difficult

• Depends on the type of school

• Condoms
    But them

• FUCK BITCHES GET MONEY

• Don't go in with the expectation that you'll get laid or lose your virginity.