How to cope with being emotionally weak?

So I'm generally quite emotionally weak, the simplest things can upset or stress me. If someone told me to shut up, I'd get teary eyed, the simplest things can be taken personal, the wrong way or just badly. I honestly hate that I'm this way, I've always wished I was someone who could sweep things under the carpet and not care. I've tried being this person but in the end my feelings will all come out. Lets just say I can be a little bit of a cry baby - I don't normally cry in front of people though so I'm not as annoying as I sound, haha.

In about a year or two, I'll be going into training to follow my dream career after I've got my school certificate and saved up. This job requires you to be emotionally stable, all I'll say is the job is related to the law. I'll be away from my family and friends which are basically my supports and as stupid as it sounds it makes me even more sad to think I'll be away from my dog who I'd always cry to when I was sad, lol.

I guess I'm asking, how can I cope being emotionally weak now and in the future?

Please try to be nice with your answers. :(

P. S. I'm sorry I don't know what topic to put this under ;-;

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg I know exactly what you mean. I was like this, and in many ways, still am. My counsellor once told me: When people are born into the world, we're born with different characteristics, one of them being our sensitivity levels. Some people are born with low sensitivity, while others are born with very high sensitivity - meaning, we hold "grudges" (what people would call) longer than others, because we simply cannot heal as quickly as them. We have our good and bads; we are super empathetic to other people and aware of their emotions, but that makes us very vulnerable and easy to react at even the smallest things.

You may have often heard the phrase, "Why do you take everything so personally?" in your life. Worry not - because this is normal for you. It's not normal for them, because they can't understand why we get upset the way we do. They weren't born with high sensitivity levels so they physically can't understand why we are reacting the way we are.

I'm currently in a program called, "DBT" otherwise known as "Dialectical Behaviour Therapy". You should look into it. It helps regulate your emotions, and gives you skills into how to prevent the intensity of an emotion, what do do in distress, etc. It's only been 4 months since I've enrolled in it, but god knows just how much I've changed because of it! I can finally prevent my emotions from getting the best of me, and I can go a full day without breaking down! Sometimes, I still feel like I'm back at square one; but no one said changing yourself for the better was going to be easy.

I really hope for the best of you, because I can imagine how you're feeling right now. Before DBT, I felt like I couldn't go anywhere without being offended at everything people would say to me. I strongly suggest you to look into this therapy. You can PM me if you have any questions! ^_^

Cheers! All the best, OP <3

What Guys Said 11

• Oh man, if you were my friend, you best tell me before hand. I have some friends and we like taunt eachother a bit for fun :o
    I'd have a friend help you work on this problem. Have a friend 'act' and tell you to "shut the hell up" until you like learn to react differently

• Haha I'll try talking to a friend about it, good idea. :)

• it just to be her saying nothing, and just jump up like some bunny xD so a good change!

• Hehe yeah c:

• Join the military.

• I actually really wanted to join the military when I was younger. xD

• You have the rest of your life to get into that career. Joining the military would be in your best interest to correct the flaw in your overall character. 17 to my age is a very important and strong developmental period in one's life. This is basically the defining moment (entering adulthood) on who you will be for the rest of your life. Instill good habits and be the best version self. That's exactly what the military will offer you.

• That's all so true. Thanks for your opinion, I'm gonna talk about to my mum about looking into New Zealand's military here so hope all goes well haha. Thanks for your help :)

• military.

• Another agreeing with military, you kinda make me wanna go. xD

• take the asvab and make it happen.

• I'll definitely look into it, thanks for your answer. :)

• We cry coz we feel sad. Convert the sadness into anger for the person who offends you. It's easier to deal with anger.

• I'm not so much as a cry baby, but in general I know just how you feel. I could use some advice, too...

• You learn to treat yourself kindly or better than you are now.

• You just stop it.

• I wish it was that easy, lol

• It's natural for me to be this away, it's part of my personality. Changing some aspects of your personality is easy, some isn't. This isn't an easy thing.

• Your choice.

• I don't know but here's a *hug*

• Ohhh thats a good idea!
      *also gives a hug to asker*

• No you are
      Your brave to be so open
      Good luck to you in all you do
      If you ever need a place to vent my door is open

• So kind, thank you. :)

And sure thing ^_^

• Don't take everything so personally.

• Try talking things out

• You're a female. You're naturally weak. Don't try to change biology.

What Girls Said 7

• WELCOME TO MY WORLD! You need help! Thearpy.

• I mean, though therapy is a good choice and helps with somethings is doesn't help with all. I used to be in therapy but am not now because it just made me worse lol. I was thinking of picking up counseling when I return to public schooling though. Thanks for your answer!

• You're sensitive and there's nothing wrong with that. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. Learn to accept that you're sensitive and don't beat yourself up over it. Things will be fine. Maybe pick up journaling, making art, or some other kind of coping skill if or when things get tough. Sounds like you have good support from your family and friends so that's good too.

• are you considering a job in law enforcement? If you are that emotional it may not be a good fit. Or as an attorney either.

Perhaps you can talk to a counselor about this? It may help. I wish you the best of luck with your dreams.

• Yeah I was actually considering not going in that direction of a career because of how I am but I don't know what else I'm generally interested in, so I'm gonna try make it happen still. :)

And I was thinking about going to a counselor when I go back to public schooling (currently in correspondence). Thanks for your answer. ^_^

• You're welcome and best of luck!

• Thanks :)

• It sounds like you have a lot of pent up emotion so let it out somehow. Are you shy irl? U could need to express yourself more.

• And possibly talk to a therapist. If you're trapped in your mind, you'll nvr figure out what's bothering you all by yourself.

• I guess that's true, and yes I'm very shy in person if I don't know someone, hahaha. I'm pretty open and happy when I'm with my friends though. :)

I was hoping to start going to a counselor when I return to public schooling. :)

• Ur not weak ur sensitive... Just stop caring about what people think

• It's not what others think that only causes it, it's a mix of other stuff, my past, my life situation/s, myself, it's a bit of everything. I just used being told to shut up as an example haha.

• I can't cope with it, and it bothers me a lot. I just deal with it.

• Same, it's the same deal with my situation everyday. I just kinda want a way to conquer it, you know?

• I know what you mean. Over time you'll get better with it.

• Your not weak! Whoever told you were deserves to be punched