Which art style do you find more appealing, the Japanese manga style or the western comic style?

• Manga
  • Comic

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally, I'm not a big comic fan anyway, the only comics I've ever read and enjoyed as a kid were "Asterix and Obelix" and "Tintin". I've watched a few anime recently but overall I would say I like the western style better. However, for me it's not so much about drawing style as it is about realism. I enjoy comics or cartoons that are more or less realistic. That doesn't mean every little detail has to be realistic (for example the magic potion in "Asterix and Obelix" obviously isn't) but there needs to be a general sense of realism in the story. I really like some Japanese anime but I don't like the type of manga/anime where superheroes fly around and have all kinds of weird superpowers and when they fight with another superhero you see colorful backgrounds with stars and lightning flashes and stuff like that. Even as a child, I thought that was kind of stupid/boring. That's why I also never enjoyed things like Batman. I just think it's a bit weird. I like "Tintin" because - apart from some minor details - the stories seem credible and realistic. I've also been a huge Simpsons-fan for a long, long time. Obviously, some details in the Simpsons are totally unrealistic. But the general sense of the cartoon, the fact that it's about a normal family living a normal life in an average town, spiced up with some pretty intellectual social and political commentary is the type of comic/cartoon I really love. I wish there was more of this stuff.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Manga.

• Western Style, By a mile...

• Neither, don't like comics