Is it a bad thing that every once in a while I try to get away from people just for a little while?

Today I really needed space from my family and since we weren't doing anything today, I told them I got called in early for work. I am actually at the library. I love my family to death but at times they make me feel like I am suffocating. At dinner parties and during the holidays whenever it gets loud, I sneak away eventually they find me and they think it's a bad thing. My dad always freaks out because he thinks I will turn into his brother, who is extremely introverted.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see a reason as to why enjoying time by yourself would be a bad thing...
    I personally have become and still do get exhausted after speaking with just one of my friends or family members.

This is because I actually listen to and genuinely care about what they are telling me. Sometimes this leads me to continue conversations that have already drained me emotionally. And this is where the problem begins. I don't feign interest, so sometimes I have to wonder what emotion I'm actually portraying. I really don't know._. But inside my mind I'm asking them "Don't you see the look on my face, I'm utterly fucking exhausted! Just stop talking."

and well... that's just who I am. I couldn't fake caring if I tried. My pount is, do whatever you need to do to be the best you possible! Don't feel guilty for taking care of yourself! It's you're family being selfish and a little ignorant, tbh.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not bad at all. We all need our alone time, some more than others. Introverts need more of that time to recharge since being around people wipes us out.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm the same way. There's only a certain amount of social interaction I can take before I start to suffer from over-stimulation. At that point I start to get anxious and irritable so I need to just get away from it all and watch some Extra History or something.

• I am the same way. If I have been around people for three hours with no break I get anxious, I stutter, and my patience is a lot shorter. I will get annoyed at someone if they ask me a simple question. The worst part is that my family gets offended when I tell them to quiet down.

• I never tell my family to quiet down for that exact same reason.

• Nope, I stay by myself all the time at home. I just retreat to my room and chill there. I don't mind being around people at work. Or when I go to the store. But If i'm with my family I like my alone time.

• I like time to myself as well. I take at least an hour or two a week alone. There's nothing wrong with it.

• Not at all, there is a party going on upstairs and I'm in the basement,
    I'm fucking exhausted and in no mood to party

• No I did the same when I had family around

What Girls Said 2

• It's not bad, I'm exactly the same way. Sometimes you just need space away from drama and people in general.

• I think its normal. Everyone needs their "me time."