I was just fired now what?

I am leaving the country for two weeks and the job I just got found it best if I leave. My boss reassured me over and over that it was because of the trip and I can reapply if I want to when I get back. They told me at the beginning of my shift they are letting me go. I was completely numb so I set my emotions aside and did my work for the rest of my shift. When I got home, my mom and broer say it was because I wasn't doing good work which is not true, my manager praises me and wants me to reapply when I get back. What do I do now? This was my first job.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a blessing in disguise. Apply for that job at your library.

• I know that I hated it and was planning on quitting I just didn't know how. But honestly being told I suck at fast food was like a punch to the gut. I was in culinary for three years in high school.

• That sucks, but you'll be much happier at the library.

Most Helpful Girl

• So you are only leaving for 2 weeks and they are letting you go because of that? Something doesn't seem right about that. I just don't get why an employer would fire you for taking a 2 week vacation. Most companies give at least a week or two, it's not unheard of.

Something just seems off about this whole situation.

What I think you should do is just enjoy your trip and try not to worry about this. People lose their jobs all the time. It sucks, and you feel like crap after, but life goes on. You will find another job. Enjoy your trip because you deserve to enjoy it and it will be an amazing experience!

When you come back, get ready to write a fabulous resume and get back out there. Perhaps look at other options than this place. As something just seems off about firing you for taking a vacation (are you never allowed to have time to yourself?). Because to me, 2 weeks does not seem excessive at all.

I can see if you were taking time off all the time, but if this has been your only vacation, something about the whole thing just doesn't seem right to me.

Everyone needs time off of work to unwind. No one can expect you to work forever without some sort of break. Don't spend your vacation worrying about this. I know it's hard not to, but things will work out.

You will find another job eventually.

What Guys Said 7

• Even in Europe it's hard to take a vacation the first year you're in a new job.
    Thus it certainly is in the USA.

• reapply

• reapply... and wait for the reply... if you don't get it... there are lots of other jobs out there!

and don't listen to the bullshit of what your mom and your bro says... believe in yourself

• I would reapply if they want you back.

• That was employer speak for "Get the hell out of my sight."

They reserve the "right" to fire you at any time with or without reason. That's life. Get used to it.

• Then why the hell do they want me to reapply when I get back? My manager didn't exactly say he was firing me, he just said he wanted me to take my time off because two other employees are leaving to and then come back.

• I just went to pick up my check and talked to my manager and he said I can start working again when I come back from my trip. I don't even have to apply. The job is still mine. I believe this is when people say, mic drop.

• Don't let it get to your heart, and don't listen to your mom. She doesn't know how hard you worked on your job. Since it was your first job, find a better job. Now that you have more work experience, you have more opportunities available.

• You got shit canned and your manager let you down easy.

• I don't understand why he wants me to come back to the job when I get back from my trip.

• According to you your boss said you were gone and could reapply which means you were fired. Now you boss changed his story? Whatever.

• Well that's what he said.

What Girls Said 3

• You go on your trip and reapply when you get back.

• Just reapply

• You go apply when you get back... or go ahead and apply at that bookstore and quit worrying about this place.