Ever lost a gift someone important to you gave you?

My boyfriend got me a beautiful bracelet, unfortunately it has come off over the months but I was stupid and wore it again, it fastened with a silver bar through a circle hoop bit so it came undone yesterday out of all days I was out and about. I'm devastated. What did you do when you lost the item that meant a lot to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I lost a pocketknife given to me by a fellow FF for being in his wedding.
    I moved across country & then lost it 3 times. I went to look for it. Easy enough since I could remember the last time I pulled my keys out of my pocket.
    The last time I couldn't find it until a few years later when I was getting a new couch. There it was under the old couch.
    I felt bad because I liked it, used it & no longer see this person.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't remember when I've lost something someone important gave to me but I do remember when the fastener for the necklace my boyfriend got me broke and my mum fixed it. I later admitted to my boyfriend about that and he told me I should've just told him and he'd have brought me another one but I told him there's no need to worry since it's fixed now.

I have lost items I liked or they've gotten broke beyond repair before though.

Those things upset me at the time, particularly when I was little but then one Christmas, when I was 17 I got a bottle of Katy Perry "Purr" perfume that I'd always wanted since I saw it in a Top Of The Pops magazine years prior. Since I was little I've always had a bit of an obsession with cats so I wanted this cat shaped perfume bottle almost as soon as I saw it in that magazine and finally they were selling it in Argos so I asked for it as part of my Christmas present.

I was so excited when I finally got the bottle and placed it carefully back in its box and on my chest of drawers after squirting some. I kept taking it out and looking at the bottle but ensuring when it put it down, that it was no where near the edge of the drawers in case it fell.

I asked myself "What would I do if this ever did break?" at first as I recall, I thought I'd be upset but maybe I could get another one anyway. I thought about it for a moment and realised that actually, it didn't really matter if the bottle broke - I have 2 REAL cats who I love more than some plastic/glass bottle, especially my cat Monty, she is far more important than a cat shaped perfume bottle.

possessions don't necessarily make you all that happy anyway, bonding with good people and animals does -

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd rather have my cat Monty than a silly cat-shaped perfume bottle, I'd rather have my Mum than my childhood toy (which she always did the voice for anyway), I'd rather hang out with my friends than have a load of teddy bears and I'd rather save up and spend my money on having a day out with my boyfriend than on an expensive dress.

Basically how I get over losing items I like or those items breaking, is realising that people in my life are way more important than objects and some can make me much happier.

Yes, you lost the necklace he gave you, but you haven't lost your boyfriend :)

• very true! You think so positive and its refreshing. I haven't lost him and he meant to get it fixed for me, I suppose i'm just sad its only been 12 hours hahaha

• Haha thanks :) Sometimes I think positive, other ways I think negative.

On this topic though, as long as I got the people I love, it's cool. I may be still be upset/disappointed about losing the item but the people I love are so much more important that when I think like that, it puts it in perspective.

You got your boyfriend and he's getting the necklace fixed anyway so you got both a nice little possession and a caring boyfriend.

Even if the necklace can't be fixed, you still got that boyfriend you love - an actual person who loves and supports and cares for you and who surely means more to you than a bit of silver (or whatever it is) so I think you'll be good :)

What Guys Said 5

• ... get a new one... or just tell em. things get lost all the time... if the person can't understand that... they shouldn't be special/important anyway. best case... they get you another...

• I'm not scared about telling him as he knows it comes off, I just hold sentiment to it.

• thats cute... just get another then... or tell him and see if he gets another.

• I received a watch for my birthday from an aunt that raised back when I lived out of the us, I lost it in a bathroom. It disappointed my aunt and made me feel horrible about losing it

• I think the worst thing someone can do is kick you when you're down.

• Well yeah but I felt bad at the time. Now I just be careful of where I place stuff and if I do I don't dwell on it

• I lost a beer pong champ t shirt after like 2 says from my friends who have it to me 😭

• Yes 😥

• No I have not

What Girls Said 14

• Things of this Not so Nice Nature are always An... Omen to me here, dear.
    When I had returned from my First trip to Egypt, before going out again to be with my husband whom I ended up Tying the knot with, a Glass bottle of Colored sand Inscribed with our names on it, that we had gotten from the Pyramids, had Suddenly... Broken. I kept the sand though and Part of Piece of the glass.
    When I went back and we Ended up marrying, it was a Difficult time for me while I was residing out there. And even Coming back to the States, our Marriage years later dissolved, and Now... Even though we are still Married we are Not Together, but Merely bonded instead with Memories of Rings and things we still have, and Memoirs of places we Cherished like the Sands of Time.
    Some things may be Lost forever but the Memories never Die.
    Good luck. xx

• That is completely true! I like your positivity :) xx

• Thank you, sweetie, I am just a bit superstitious, I guess when it comes to some things. xxoo

• I've lost a lot :/ beautiful gifts, things I've borrowed, things handed down to me. I'm not good with jewelry or other small things. :/
    Honestly, you just have to realize that at the end of the day it IS just some metal. It was pretty, it was given with emotion, but you can get more metal, make more emotion, heck even get more from that person if they decide to.
    I know it sucks-trust me. I lost an important bracelet and some earrings like a fool. It's not the end of the world though.
    Also, I know you're afraid of telling him-but one day he will find out if you decide to not say right now. I woudn't never tell him, but take a day if you need to pull up the nerve.

• Thank you, he does know I just feel awful he said we can get another one but its still not the same xx

• After skimming the answers, if looks like just about everyone has done it-we are just human.
      best-

• It makes me feel better and know that its just an accident!

• Yea I have lost and I was very sad but then I guessed that things have a meaning for us only because they are connected to the important events or our lovely people.
    Sometimes we worry about things more than those people we love. I guess that gift was symbol of your love to that person but let your memories be your symbol.
    When something really sad happens in my life I just love looking from the window in the sky or just relax and think about that person and our time together, I need some time all alone to feel good again, after a few minutes of sadness and thinking about it I feel fine. Sometimes I write about my feelings, that is great way to put all of bad things on the paper and stay full of energy and good emotions. Remember things are not that important, that's people who matter. Take care of him rather than gifts that he gave. That gift still exists in your memory, It is main not to lose it there.

• Yes, but I've been extremely lucky and found the two most important ones. The most important one of them all was missing for three years though and it broke my heart because it was a family heirloom. I beat myself up over it for a long time, and one of the happiest moments of my life was finding it.

• I can't say I have. I try to be careful with those sorts of things and will not take them places if I think they could get damaged or lost.

• I lost a pair of earrings my boyfriend got me for a birthday, I loved them... I was very sad when I realised I'd left them in a hotel. Called the hotel but they were never found :(

• Aw yes, sometimes I have faith in humanity as i've always returned lost items however not everyone is like that :(

• I may not have left them there, to be fair cleaners in hotels are usually very good and return lost things. They were beautiful earrings though!

• I lost my Nanna's silver wedding band that she gave to me on her death bed, I suspect I lost it as a party (I wore it 24/7) but I was really upset.

• Aw i'm sorry to hear, seems that we all lose things and its best we don't beat up ourselves over it x

• That's good advice, thank you :) x

• Yes a diamond necklace my aunt gave me for my 15th birthday Lol I lost it that same night.

• Can't remember

• My father gave me a locket and I accidentally broke the chain :(

• :( Hopefully you can still cherish the locket x

• My boyfriend got me really nice diamond earrings, and I lost just one of them. ( it fell out ) he was pretty disappointed, but he didn't get mad.. He just will never buy me earrings again. 🙄

Note : I lose one of every set I have..

• Tell him the bracelet he got you was a piece of shit and you want a better quality one so it doesn't keep falling off! Lol

• It was a Tiffany's one lol.

• But he knows, I just am bummed.

• I didn't sleep. :/

• Don't remind me, please.
    Shit.

• Sorry, this is just my first time actually losing something I cared about.

• Sorry about that.