Would a guy feel intimidated of a rich girl even if he was smarter?

Straight A student kind of smart?

I mean for some reason I can't help but notice that he comes from a humble background. Doesn't mean I look down on him I just notice it.

He hates me or he's indifferent but I wonder if it's because of the money thing.

Forgetting him for one second, is it normal for people to feel somewhat reserved around rich people? I feel it too. Like I won't put up a picture of myself if I feel I don't look 'rich' even if I want to

I'm actually 23. Just finished University.

Don't know how to fix it on this site

Most Helpful Guy

• For me it's not really intimidation. I think rich/middle class often look down on people of lower social class, and I think some especially tend to be very status oriented. The majority of men don't give a shit whether a girl works or not whereas women tend to prefer a man with a good career. So that's what it is, I assume that she'll judge me as being below her, which of course I don't believe but the fact that she'd think that way is off-putting. Perhaps it's a false assumption a lot of the time, but I've had some experiences where I've had people talk shit about me being low class for example her parents when I've dated middle class girls being a working class guy myself. I get paid well now but when I was poor I had girls ask me stuff like what car I drove and because it was just a cheap little VW polo they weren't interested which I thought was strange. Stuff like that.

• I don't get why. I really don't. Why don't women have to work/earn money?

Wait do people assume stuff about you based on what car you drive?

• We just don't care. Traditionally it has been a man's job to provide for the family, so even though women can now work as well there's that. It's just not something we fin attractive in a woman, for men it's more about looks and personality, status or career doesn't really matter, and in fact a lot of guys want a more traditional girl who will stay at home and raise the kids at least while they're young. We just aren't the same as women, we look for different things. That's why it isn't so much intimidation, but the asumption (whether true or false) that he thinks she's above us so we don't bother. If anything what intimidates guys is a ridiculous hot looking woman.

Yeah they have done, or what job I worked.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm wondering this as well. I just started talking to a guy who is 25 and has hardly much to his name since he's in a band and came from a poorer background. I'm middle class, but I am spoiled.. Kinda daddy's princess I guess.. But I'm 21 and still go to school.. So yes I live with my parents still and don't work. But I don't give off any negative feelings towards those who have less money or those who have more money. I see a person as a person. However, I am cautious with this guy because I sense that he and his friends don't like me because they think I'm from a different kind of existence of which I was handed things to me and may not understand life as they do or something, but that is far from the truth. I don't know what to do about it though. I can see why it would be kinda frustrating.

What Guys Said 18

• Absolutely.

It may not be rational, but you need to understand masculinity. Feminists have repeated ad neuseum how women are held accountable to feminine standards yet no one discusses the fact that men are likewise held accountable to masculine standards. And unlike women, we have never had our own feminist movement or its equivalent.

One of those standards is being the provider. A man's success is determined by how much money he makes and his ability to take care of his family.

If the woman is making more money than him, then it is interpreted as if the guy were a failure and/or is effeminate.

• Like if chick is richer than me? Thatd be lot of rich bexause my mom's hella rich too lol and if we look at this way she is "girl" and i definitely have ZERO problems with her earning funding my stupid shit lol but I won't her to do that all my life doe

• it's about the difference between the guy and the girl, some girls look down to the guy if he has not much money even if she loves him, and that hurts his feelings when he knows that he can't buy some thing she used to buy often as a gift , like he he is a loser even if he satisfies her emotions.
    but some girls are able to help her guy to overcome that , and do not let that bad feeling sneak to his heart.

• I don't know him well enough to really think of him as boyfriend or not boyfriend material. I don't even talk to him.

I guess I was in school with him and thought he noticed me. Once when I was in his class or something I realized this guy might like me.

Like he looked so happy to see me he kept blinking a lot and was all embarrassed it was cute.

Plus the whole class whenever I'd look up he'd sorta move his head to look at me out of the corner of his eye (was sitting behind him).

Before going he was like fiddling around with his coat I guess hoping I'd talk to him. I didn't. I just kept looking at my phone.

He has hated me since that day and acts as though I am a loser/is really indifferent ot me.

It made me think maybe i misinterpreted the signs or something and he didn't like me to begin with

• i would say , if he liked you then why he didn't talk to you? is he shy? or may be he is just spending his free time around messing with you.
      any way , just try to know what he thinks on you from his friends whithout letting him know, then you will know what to do.

• It's possible if you live in very different worlds: he can think you would never date him because he dresses/acts/talks differently or is not into the same sports, or that you would only date rich guys, etc...

• no, not reserved around the rich. my piss is gold colored. some rich chick on here was posting stuff, i was trying to hint to her that i've got no problem riding dirt bikes in her moms house. =)

• old rich would be fine with a 3 dollar watch, goodwill clothes, hand me down tv set, free food from the soup kitchen. new rich will blow tons of money trying to look rich. there's an old saying, "a fool, and his money are soon parted." i reject money because i see it for what it is. control, power, financial slave mastery. you forget little things, how to cook, how to clean, before you know it how to think, how to act. so gains in one area are easily translated into losses in others. are you as rich as you think you are?

• Nope I coukd care less. I'd like you for you not the money

• You probably didn't earn it. So why should anyone care about you? You have money, good for you. It doesn't make you interesting.

• Like a #Sugarmomma? Hmmm. Dunno. Then again I've no experience whoring.

• I didn't understand any of what you just said

• A sugar momma is an older, wealthy woman who indulges younger men. Basically a counterpart to sugar daddy.
      I'm sorry I misinterpreted the question.

• I'm working class and I kind of have a thing for middle class girls. Bit of an uptown girl thing haha

• I sometimes feel as though I'm confused because I used to be middle class and now suddenly I'm rich.

I feel like a poser sometimes.

• It's really weird for me.

If I can say so lol I saw your profile picture with you and a dolphin. I remember when I was younger I would never take a picture with a dolphin when I'd go for those dolphin-type shows because it was sorta pricey.

And now my parents have enough money for me to go and spend money on the most luxury of things... it's really really weird for me sometimes.

It feels good to have purchasing power but it also feels confusing. It also made me more judgmental of others which is not who I am as a core person

• I get you. You seem fine to me, I don't think you'd put anyone off with a bit of wealth, you're not uppity with it.

• I'm sure many guys would be. Our society reinforces an age old stereotype that man has to be richer than the woman. Hopefully, that'll change soon since gold diggers are dying out.

• what the?

• Nope but rich people have a bad rep for acting a certain way... that could be a reason.

• I'm not sure I look rich lol.

My parents drive this old Camry so I probably wouldn't look rich. But maybe he can tell from my dressing or something?

I'm not sure.

• Ha ha I know, one of my professors pointed this out. I was so surprised.

But it's sorta like.. if you buy a knock off you DO want the real thing you just don't have the money to pay for it. Plus it would be so embarrassing if someone asked you ooh I like your watch where'd you get it from and you have to lie.

Why not just buy a cheaper brand of watch?

He has an Apple computer (laptop) so he can't be that poor. Still for some reason he's sorta cute. Like vulnerable cute.

Except he hates me lol

• Haha just try talking to him or try to help him whenever you can because then he will know your only trying to be nice to him

• I noticed such girls as dependent on their parents, which seems like a weakness to me.

• Aren't lots of women dependent on their parents until they start working?

I think girls usually have a much stronger base, as in their parents pay for everything until they actually start making real money and then they are not dependent on them anymore.

Guys have to actually earn from day one. Unless they're rich spoiled brats.

• Can I briefly message you? He sorta behaved in a way which really hurt me I didn't know what to make of it.

• sure, add me and I'll add you so you can message me

• im not intimidated by a human being.,.. we all take a shit in the morning as far as im concerned

• I'd be cool with it. My parents are pretty wealthy at around $4.5 million so it's not super rich but we never have to worry about money and my mom drives a Ferrari 458. I actually like wealthy girls. I've noticed they are more classy, don't try to show off, and would never be after my family's money. They also share my political views (conservative) so we always have a ton to talk and agree about. Matter of fact, rich girls never get annoyed when I brag about something, whether it be my workout routine, my mom's car, or some achievement I earned. It's always the lower socioeconomic status ones who get salty.

• I'd roll my eyes if you where acting spoilt rich.
    Im not rich and I probably shouldn't say this but i'm 23 and friends with a few rich people but they don't act spoilt rich i'm not intimidated by them it doesn't even come up some of them are also smarter and that intimidates me more.

• I avoid rich guys too.

• He could feel that way you must context what you see from his emotions. How would girl a feel if was the opposite way?

What Girls Said 3

• I don't think it's intimidation as much as it's feeling different. Rich people often reject those who aren't as successful, like they believe them to be dumb or defective in some way. So I think more that he's unsure of how you'll view him as someone from a poorer family.

• He's smarter than me.

I hate to say it, but it's true, he is.

If anything i feel rejected thinking he thinks I'm not as smart as he is.

• Doesn't matter if he's smarter, there's still the whole class-structure thing between the two of you.

• I actually don't know many guys who want a rich girl, especially if she is rich by inheritance and not by anything she did to earn it.

• I'm still young.

I don't know how to fix the age on this site but I'm 23. He's even younger he's 22. We're both in University

• Serious question: Why do you even care?

• Because I feel like he hates me and it bothers me

• I kinda like him.

Not that I would ever ever ever tell him or admit it.

Plus I feel as though I have no right to like him. I'm not his friend. I don't even really talk to him. And he's smarter.

It's not at all a compatible pairing

• I would tell u to forget him but know that u won't.
      Good luck xo