What would a chemistry teacher be charged with if this happen?

I always remembered this episode from the ''Are you afraid of the dark'' series (good old times).

It's 30 years later and a hippie girl's ghost from the late 60's keeps showing up. Long story short, it's discovered that the girl wasn't careless in the after school chemistry exam. The chemistry teacher didn't check his equipments and left a gas valve tube rotting through, which caused an explosion and the girl died.

In real life what would he be charged with and for how long would the sentence be?

0|0
1|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Sued and sentenced as well as any admin involved and the school district for not inspecting their equipment.

I used to love that show!

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• Likely nothing. While there is a master shutoff in the teachers desk for methane gas, it's not like those things have the strongest security measures in place. A student could get in the cabinet and turn it on pretty easily within about 10 seconds with no tools. It's also common for there to be leaks in the valves due to lack of maintenance (reduced funding for schools). The school I worked at for a short time as a science teacher had several gas leaks and the entire school had to be evacuated several times... It was the newest school in the entire district and was the second best for science programs with strong biotechnology academy... Even then it still had those sorts of problems to deal with. It's not likely a teacher would be held accountable for a gas leak...

1|0
    0|0
  • Possible no charges would be laid, but if so it would be criminal negligence casuing death. Probably 2-5 years.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. School would.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the investigation but if that were found he would be charged with manslaughter and negligence.

1|0
    0|0
  • Manslaughter, around 15 years.

1|0
    0|0
  • At worst, criminally negligent homicide. A few years...

0|0
    0|0
  • All I can think of is criminally negligent homicide.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!