Do you think the Police needs reform?

In training or recruitment or whatever it would be to make their officers more competent.

That female cop was incompetent as fuck. what the fuck was that? There was absolutely no attempt to descale the situation, pulled a gun with a civilian bus driver right in behind the guy, then ran towards the guy with the gun drawn.. Jesus christ, do they not get training?

The answer is no they don't. To become a cop in America it takes about 4-6 months. To become a cop in England, for example (this is just one country of many), it takes 3 YEARS. You're basically getting a degree if you want to become a police officer in England. It's just a big mess in America where money is king and justice takes a back seat.

• YES
    79% (33)78% (46)78% (79)Vote
  • NO
    21% (9)22% (13)22% (22)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
12|25

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, there needs to be reform, and a changing in how police think. The situation has not gotten worse, just more public. It used to be that if a cop shot someone, or beat someone up, it wasn't broadcast to the world in moments.
    First we need to de-militarize law enforcement, the SWAT concept started as a good idea, there are highly trained, and well armed groups out there who may well misuse that power, (SWAT started as a response to the Black Panther Uprising: witnessla.com/.../), but we don't need an army to bust a drug dealer, who is sitting stoned in his house, unarmed.

Second we need to de-emphasize lethal combat (honestly there really is no need with modern technology for common law enforcement to carry deadly weapons at all), and emphasize negotiation, and conflict resolution.

Again there is a time and a place for lethal force, but it should NEVER be a first response.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• Yes. It's becoming a regular incident where PUBLIC SERVANTS are caught abusing, mistreating, bullying, and/or straight up EXECUTING an innocent civilian over petty ish. They're supposed to DEESCELATE AND DISHARM, not be eager to injure or kill someone as if they've been watching too many damn video games.

1|2
    0|0
    • @CoconutDrums you see only what the media shows you. Cops aren't all out there to kill innocent civilians. You really think that when a cops shoots & kills someone that they're indifferent about it? That is not the case at all.

Cops are humans and make mistakes too. Oh yeah, and there are a couple few bad ones out there too, but few and far in between. Please don't subscribe to this bullshit "all cops are killers" mindset. It's so NOT true. AT ALL.

• Show All
    • Because it's pointless to get into a debate with you. Just let it go angry woman.

• @Tenseven You're right; it is pointless because after watching video after video of innocent civilian being executed by PUBLIC SERVANT, there's no amount of delusional nonsense you could say to convince me that police culture does not have an aspect of violence and power abuse. I'm also not angry at all for simply being firm. You invited yourself to my post so why are YOU getting so defensive?

• I am all for more training. But some people want to abolish the police altogether. These people are nuts.

1|4
    0|0
  • See the cops are being militarized, they're trained to shoot first now. They for some reason don't think to shoot a leg or an arm, their instincts are to kill now. And it's ridiculous.

1|1
    0|0
    • In police training they urge you to shoot to kill, if you shoot an armed man in the leg he can still shoot people with his hand. Police are trained to shoot twice in the chest, and one in the head.

• Show All
    • Your hearts in the right place but there a lot wrong eith your logic.
      Have you ever fired a handgun? Do you know how hard it is to hit a limb? Never mind a moving target, under stress and in a split second.
      @Hasaboyfriend Rubber bullets absolutely do not work. They hurt, but they do fuck all to subdue someone. A guy thats coked out or hyped up on adrenaline can take 5-10 fatal shots before going down.

• I think the police culture needs to place less focus on punishment and more on crime prevention. It needs to be reinforced that they're there to SERVE and PROTECT the community they're in, not prosecute at every turn.

3|3
    0|0
  • I do believe that there are lots of excellent police officers. There are also some not so great ones. However, overall, the police are incredibly tense because they are always on high alert and this makes them very anxious. You can see in the recent videos of police officers shooting civilians that the victims are calm, reasonable, and complacent. But these particular police officers still immediately shot these civilians. I personally think guns should be used as a last last LAST resort. A police officer would still be able to incapacitate an attacker without a gun because there are several other types of weapons that do the same thing without killing or permanently injuring the person. How about a pellet gun or a stun gun? Pepper spray or an electrified baton? And these alternative weapons would've worked in these past few incidents because these victims were shot multiple times at point blank range when they could have been stunned or pepper sprayed. Again, I'm not saying that all police are bad or that they are out to get us, however, there are some flaws in the system that need fixing. I respect and appreciate the opinion of anyone who disagrees with me. Thank you.

0|0
    0|0
  • No way, Sting was Ok back in the Police but they've had their day. No need to reform, we have iTunes now.

2|1
    0|0
  • You can't really judge unless you've been there in the trenches of society.

They need more equipment to be safe themselves oftentimes.

And yes, cops make mistakes, training or not, they're human too and have to make decisions in split second time. Being humans, they sometimes make the wrong decision. A degree doesn't make a cop better necessarily. Common sense and luck do.

0|2
    1|0
  • In some countries one needs a bachelor degree to become a cop.

0|1
    0|0
    • The smartest man I ever met did not finish high school. If memory serves, Bill Gates didn't have a college degree.

• I voted "no", but I mean: the police ought to be abolished, not that they do a satisfactory job at keeping peace, law & order. Evidently, they make things more violent, they are a danger (especially to Black people in America). Reform will not be enough.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe while they're in school for years, they can learn to stop beating mentally ill and autistic people to death...

#JusticeForAbdi

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I think black people need to reform their behavior. Stop breaking the law and screwing with cops.

2|3
    1|1
    • I feel it's a mixture of both, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

What Guys Said 24

• Yes - In regard to more training and training in crisis management. Yes - In terms of oversight, body cams so forth, in future if an incident happens the police can release video and say this is why officer reacted this way, If force felt officer reacted wrongly they can say we are using video for dismissal/suspension proceedings or handing it over to prosecutors for a trial.

0|1
    0|0
  • The police in the US just needs to start actually being prosecuted for the gross and constant abuse of authority and use of excessive force.
    If the Europeans can get by without shooting everybody who resists arrest I'm pretty sure the muricans could do so too.

But wait, they are scared for life because the person could have a gun.
    And heeeere we go again.

1|2
    0|0
  • I think cops shouldn't pull out their guns unless they're really fearing for their life. They should use more tasers than guns, and if they have to use a gun, try shooting on the limbs first instead of to kill.
    That's the only reform I say American cops need. If the suspect is unarmed, use a taser, but if it's armed, use a gun.

In the video, the cop was justified to shoot, since the guy tried to get the gun.

1|1
    0|0
  • this video seems to patronize the matter. clearly in this situation you have a suspect who physically engages an officer. so based on this video the officer did what she needed to do

but generally speaking i think reform needs to take place. reform doesn't mean massive overall or anything like that necessarily. but i think additional training can only benefit police to protect themselves and the people they serve AND also help them to do their jobs more effectively

0|0
    0|0
  • More training is definitely a good idea. I think some changes in training are necessary too. That situation was poorly handled. You NEVER go running blindly into a situation like that. That could have just as easily ended up as another dead officer.

0|2
    0|0
  • We should have a draft for police and firefighters like we used to have for the military.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sort of bothers me how the yanks can have such a trigger happy police force :O

0|2
    0|1
  • Yes. But they also need a pay increase and greater benefits. The job of a police officer is shit to be honest, so it is not surprising that many of them do not take it seriously. If it were up to me, every police officer would have to be a 6 foot tall male proficient in at least two martial arts with a college degree in topics ranging from psychology, health, ethics, and sociology. By that same token they would be paid at least $80k a year and afforded much more benefits.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on which country we're talking about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Police are trained to stop the threat when they shoot. Arm and leg shots are not standardized training for a reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • Forget the years of training. Yes training will help a *little* bit. Put cameras (two or three) in place. It'll prove the innocent innocent, and the guilty guilty and put EVERYONE on notice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Police departments need an entire purge across the US. When too many rotten apples fall from the tree, it's time to replace the entire apple tree.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes absolutely

0|0
    0|0
  • Things will always look bad as long as people record the bad incidents with cops. There thousands of cops and only a hand few that have problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do bears shit in the woods

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course. Just because BLM is full of shit doesn't mean that the police doesn't need reform.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely! The police force all over the US and even Canada is a disgrace. There is too much to say here but i think most sane people know how messed up they are

0|0
    0|0
  • ANARCHY

0|0
    0|0
  • i think black people need reform more than the cops need it

0|0
    1|0
  • I do not. I don't let extremely rare circumstances let me see all police as incompetent.

0|0
    0|0
  • I too think black people need to reform their behavior. Stop breaking the law and screwing with cops. OBEY their orders & not escalate a situation.
    But the age, height, weight, education requirements went out the window many years ago.
    Too many female cops CAN'T FIGHT. See how she already has her gun drawn. WHY was that necessary?

0|0
    0|0
  • That idiot should've put his hands up when a cop is pointing a gun at him. When you're out manned and out gunned, just cooperate with police, cuz fighting them is a battle you'll lose every time.

props to the bus driver who was calm, cool and collected though.

0|1
    0|0
    • p. s. what's the back story prior to him getting on the bus? was he wanted by cops? a suspect in a violent crime in which case she may have warranted in pulling her gun. obviously he's running from someone but who? cops most likely.

• found the back story.
      http://newsok.com/article/5506713

• Black people need to realize that many in their communities are THUGS. The police get weary and wary of dealing with them all the time. Get your shit together.

1|2
    3|0
    • That guy wasn't black. Get your shit together.

• Some white people need to correct the odd, weird, inappropriate, mistaken sense of authority they seem to have over tons of black strangers they've never met and will never even know. It's weird how you'll find some white people who think like you and you guys literately sound like Christopher Columbus when he first got here and spoke of the Native Americans as if he was their father and they were incapable of surviving without his mental ways. Weird as hell.

Even if your (cowardly) racist idea that these black people are "THUGS" was true, the police are not the jury and executioner. If they're too afraid of black men or too lazy and want to act like spoiled pigs who can't control their emotions, then they're doing the wrong job. Maybe something less scary and demanding like a librarian.

• @CoconutDrums They have to be on their guard as things happen quick. The police DO have authority. Manay blacks have never had to do as they are told from an authority figure and rebel, and then get shot, they are stupid. You just hold on to the thought that it is about racism (of course, the answer to everything) instead of having these thugs or stupid people who won't listen be accountable.

• Rewind that shit all the way back, before anything happened. Why was he that afraid?
    This nigga got on the bus and was willing to give away everything in his wallet to get away. Was he running from someone else or the police? Regardless, he was genuinely scared for his life. If that female cop would've waited instead of rushing into the bus with a weapon out, this would've ended differently. This dude was afraid for his life the last few minutes of being alive. Was it stupid to grab the cop? Of course but she was stupid for rushing in. Just a poorly addressed situation with another person being murdered and no one will pay for taking his life.

1|2
    0|0