Do u believe you can determine a person's level of intelligence from talking to them after a couple of minutes?

Do u believe you can determine  a person's level of intelligence from talking to them after a couple of minutes?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't.

I have worked with brilliant people in the Art, Music, and Science worlds who were not very articulate.

For some years I wrote scripts for Educational films on Mathematics, Computers, and such technical subjects. The experts who supplied me with the information commonly found it difficult to describe the concepts in a visual way, and were often surprised ideas on advanced maths could be presented very simply in visual form.

I also worked extensively with Special Needs children who had communication problems.

www.psyc.bbk.ac.uk/.../...of_images_BBKsite_v4.pdf

Such children included autistic, dyslexic, severe physical or mental problems, hyper active, etc. All of them requiring special education because they could not be taught in normal schools, and commonly dismissed as unteachable, yet some of them extremely capable when taught how to express themselves in ways suited to their abilities

Regarding 'normal people', you may well judge them by their accent, and mannerisms. It is a common assumption that someone who is uneducated and has a common accent is not intelligent.

Miles Davis said he could tell if a musician could play well by the way he stood.

There are different types of intelligence

The only way you can judge a persons intelligence in any meaningful way is to see them working or acting in the field that they are familiar with, and this assumes that you are also familiar with what they are doing

What Girls Said 16

• No because some people are just shy and behave awkward in the first few minutes.

Other people are good at being fake.

I know a guy who never even graduated high school but can convince someone else he's got a PhD in just about anything in a few minutes. He always lands really cool jobs, but loses them shortly after when people realize he actually knows nothing and didn't graduate from anything LOL.

I think I'm pretty intelligent but I can be socially awkward as well... depending on my mood, I can take time to warm up to someone and be more myself and actually talk about topics I truly care about.

Sometimes you catch someone on an off day and they stay stupid things.

Hard really...

• I can, because my main concern is not his looks. A person can have a degree and still be ignorant, and less intelligent. Most things that get you through college is term papers, quizzes and exams. Unless you have other requirements were you can think of solutions out of your head. There is a difference between book-smart, street-smart, relationship-smart and marriage-smart. You can fill in whatever other smarts to the list.

• I don't care much about intelligence but rather wisdom and understanding of love so I tend to focus on that more often than intelligence. A person can come across as very intelligent to me because they know a lot about customs, manners, or a certain topic, or even the English language but if they don't seek to understand and only judge or they don't seek to make sure their guests are welcome but only act too busy this is much more apparent to me than intelligence.

• u can tell the intelligence level they want to *project*. assuming is for idiots.

• No, because there are different types of intelligence.

• No way. There are people who are just not as good at communicating as others. Some of the greatest scientists were socially awkward. Having poor social skills does not make someone stupid. People are intelligent in lots of different ways. Then there are people who are new to a certain language.

• "Poor social skill" is irrelevant here. In fact, the VAST majority of people with hugely superior intellect WILL be socially awkward.

The point isn't that the person is a good conversationalist -- the point is that the person converses in a way that betrays a quick mind and constant, fast processing of the surrounding world.

More discussion in ayyfoxy's opinion thread.

• Most definitely...
    Not every single personal but probably the majority... Like 99.9999%

• I think you can get a decent idea...

• Usually yes but there are exceptions. I got to know one guy who played as if he was not that clever but one day I found out that he was the way more intelligent than I thought before.

• No, there are some intelligent people who are socially inept and there are also some intelligent people who will purposely act like they aren't as intelligent as they really are.

• Absolutely

• Absolutely. Intelligence shows through in many forms, but conversation is one of the biggest. The way someone speaks (word choice, subject matter) can give you an idea within minutes.

• This ^^

Plus all the non-verbal cues, too.

People with quick minds apprehend the whole world in a fundamentally different way from others. They just *take in* more of what's going on around them... there's more "data processing" going on, of various kinds.

Even when they're totally spacing out, they're spacing out in a way that's distinctly lost in *thought*, and not just "switched off". It's a cool thing (and, dare I say it, sexy).

They also "get it" more quickly. You don't need to finish sentences, etc. with them; they already understand the message. Even if they're unfamiliar with a subject, they can usually piece together enough of an understanding to follow a conversation through.

It's also just about IMPOSSIBLE for smart people to play-act stupid. There are just way, way, WAY too many tells and giveaways.

• @redeyemindtricks lmao yeah, impressive. there's proof that experience trumps all :P

• @chintita

I'm with @redeyemindtricks on this one. Anyone who has met with truly intelligent people can recognize them quickly. Its not how well they speak or how confident they are or even how superficially humorous they are. They simply hqve a broader more interested view of the world. I just answered a question and, in passing, made an offhand correction tobher grammar. Now this was an educated woman in college. An intelligent person, even if they were uneducated, would have wanted to understand the correction, a stupid one doesn't. Thats just one of many "tells."

• Sometimes yea, sometimes no. Personally, I get really nervous when I meet somebody for the first time. I make stupid grammar errors or stumble upon my words, but I don't normally do that.

• Depends on the conversation.

• Not really, some people can know a lot about a subject and none in anothze

• You can tell if they're complete morons sometimes, but not really how intelligent they are. Like I know so many people with uni degrees who have no common sense at all and are stupid in day to day life, and I know other people who have no qualifications on paper but are actually pretty intelligent just that life circumstances got in the way. Intelligence is difficult to tell sometimes, because everybody is really good at something. There's a quote "everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish on his ability to ride a bike, he'll forever think he's stupid" so I like to believe everybody has their "thing" it's just that you don't always see it straight away.

What Guys Said 22

• Usually.

I have to dumb down my conversation when I talk to most people. When I was about 15, my dad sat me down for a talk about how to talk to adults so they didn't feel stupid around me. I practiced that, and can make people comfortable around me if I choose to. I can dial the conversation up or down. How far up I can go before losing the person tells me how smart he/she is. Every once in a while, I will be talking to some irritating person who is closer to knowing nothing than anything, and he doesn't know better, so I will crank that dial up until he whimpers away.

Although I have been known to go for actresses and models, I usually seek out girlfriends who can keep up with me, such as graduate students in chemistry or medical students.

• No. Very often an intelligent person could be simply laid back in a conversation. If they were to go at it with their full intellect, you'd have a different idea about them.

• Get into a conversation with two people at the same time and the intelligent one is easy to spot. It does not mean they will naturally excel in common sense. There is a huge difference.

• Some people are better at reading people than others. If you are smart, a lot of people will notice it pretty quickly. They may not know how smart you are, but they will likely know you're smarter than them. That said, there will still be heaps of people that underestimate you capabilities by miles.

• I don't consider what courses someone takes as any real proof of intelligence. Being ignorant to very obvious things/being ditzy... Yeah you can get a good idea sometimes in 5 minutes.

• Can't really gauge intelligence from speech alone. I know a bloke who speaks like his mouth is full of cake, but he's pretty smart.

• only if they are exceptionally dumb

• It's sad how many people voted yes. I can get some vague idea after a few minutes but could easily be wrong later on.

• Intelligent at what? And you can get insight into how quickly they learn and if theyre interested in anything which would push them to learn. But other than that definitely not. I dont underestimate anyones intelligence. I don't think I could learn a lifetimes worth of knowledge after talking to someone for years!

• Usually yes.

• For sure, you can't fake intelligence. It's hard to explain but you can just tell.

• Hmm. Not really these days. Smart people keep their mouth shut because they don't want to offend the thought police too much.

• I hope not because sometimes I'll act stupid for a laugh

• That sure as hell doesn't work on me. I purposely act uneducated and oblivious with everyone I meet for the first time

• yes, thats super easy.

• Nope

• You can determine that and much more.

• well how would you know if theyre behaving normal or if theyre in a joking, clowning mood?

• I guess it's possible for some people.

• what people don't realise is u can be material af but still be intellligent

• Not only are there many fields of intellectual study, but there are many different types of intelligence, e. g.: mathematical, verbal, social, etc.

With respect to verbal intelligence, you may be able to see that someone is more eloquent than you and uses vocabulary words you don't regularly use, but it's harder to judge conceptual intelligence, social intelligence, and other types of intelligence.

Conceptual and mathematical intelligence is about learning concepts well enough to know when they apply. It's about pattern recognition and application. You may be really smart at recognizing patterns of a certain sort. You may notice that you recognize those patterns more quickly than others, though it's harder to recognize the converse. In other words, if you are slow at recognizing some patterns, you will not be able to tell that others got it more quickly than you unless they are teaching you, or there is some external indication, like a test or a teacher's or boss's comment that they got it first. You need that external feedback to know they're smarter.

It's similar with social intelligence. If you are socially adept, you can tell who's socially awkward. If you're socially awkward, you may see the results of those who are socially adept, but you won't be able to mimic them, or alter your behavior to be adroit like them. The only way you know someone is better than you at something is if there is an external judge. If someone is more socially adept than you, you'll only be able to see the results if you can see them succeed in a social situation. Even then you may not be sure of that social intelligence completely accounted for their success, as the person or people with whom they interact may prefer their personality type or appearance.

Beyond that, experience confounds your observations. So if you're more experienced at something or you may appear more capable. Someone who's grown up with socially adroit parents may not have the innate gifts of social adroitness of another who grew up in an environment that wasn't conducive to social development, but it's difficult to tell these things apart.

So in short, you really can't determine raw intelligence. But you may be able to spot it when someone is less capable than you at a task. You also may be able to notice if someone else succeeds at achieving or accomplishing some task you were unable to accomplish assuming there is some indication from the outside world that validates their capability.

• Usually yeah more or less. Though sometimes people surprise you