Do people usually wear really casual clothes at college?

I'm starting college in about a month and I'm wondering if I might stand out a bit because of how I dress. I wear a t shirt and shorts 99% of the time even if it's really cold because I had cancer and a bunch of spinal surgeries so I have a lot of nerve damage on my back, ribs, and legs which makes normal things like pants and dress shirts painful for me to wear. Would I stick out or be looked down on for wearing really causal clothes to class every day?

Most Helpful Girl

• I went to College for my education, and gave a rats ass how people dressed.
    This is coming from someone that would wear high heels and tight dresses at times.
    I gaves no f**ks about blending in.

• I normally don't care about blending in at all either. I just don't know anyone at my college so I want to seem normal long enough to make some friends lol

Most Helpful Guy

• One of the ways college is different from high school (for me at least) is the way people dressed. In my high school, the students would dress themselves like they were going to the damn Grammys. In College, most of the kids dressed up liked they literally woke up 20 minutes ago. A person who wear anything over the top will definitely stick out like a swore thumb in college

Down here in Florida during the winters, college guys would wear sweatpants, T shirts and sandals to class. When Spring comes around, they will swap the sweatpants with Gym shorts and call it a day. Moral of the story is that people in college do not care what you wear.

What Girls Said 12

• University is basically the same as American college, right? :P Anyway, here people just wear a t-shirt and jeans, it's a super casual thing so I assume that it'll be fine for you to attend in your casual clothing, it's what I think most people do.

• You know how you could always tell first years in college they looked good everyday. Literally the longer your there the lazier your style gets. Like first year you do your hair wear nice clothes. Last year you probably didn't brush your hair that day and wearing the same clothes as the day before

• I go to school in Hawaii, so... You can imagine what people wear here. Haha. Sometimes I see shirtless guys outside on campus. lol I love fashion so I wear skirts and heels, which makes me stand out, but I refuse to wear flip flops unless I'm at the beach.

• Depends on how bad the winter is in your state lol. I'm sure you'll get looks if you wear shorts in the winter, but I've seen it. Even in super cold Iowa winters lol

• It's in the 20s most of the winter here. I only wear pants if it's well below 20°F so I'm used to weird looks during the winter lol

• It's awkward when it snows and I'm in shorts and a light jacket. That's when I get the most strange looks and comments

• Casual is fine! There are those people who wear shorts and tank tops every day and there are others who wear heels and look like they are going to a party. I usually dress causal but sometimes I like to wear a casual dress.

• It doesn't matter how you dress at all, I've seen kids at my college come to school in pajamas... like you can tell they literally rolled out of bed and just came to class, lol. You'll be fine :)

• Not at all. I've worn pajamas to class before lol.

• Super casual. Too casual even.

• Yup.

• On Occasion

• Wear whatever you want. Be comfortable. If dressing up makes you more confident, then do it. Personally, I vary. Some days I wear yoga pants and a baggy tee. Other days I'll actually try. You'll figure out what works best for you pretty quickly.

• Nope, I dress casually all the time, and I'm actually in grad school now! It's not uncommon to see people walking around in sweats and tees.

What Guys Said 6

• I wore a tshirt and jeans to most every class. Its the normal unless more formal attire is required for some reason like a presentation.

• Casual is the way to go, I don't go to school dressing to impress but won't go looking like a bum either.

• So you are wondering if you look weird dressing like literally everyone? Yes

• In undergrad i wore sandals, shorts, and T-shirts.

• I really don't think people will care that much.

• Depends, if you go to school in the US you can pretty much wear anything. US college kids dress so horribly. Most people look like they just rolled out of bed, and half the girls are dressed like total sluts.

Shorts and a T-shirt are pretty much standard. Most people dress worse in college than they did in high school, of course if you want to get a good job you might want to take more pride in your appearance and come across as professional to your professors (who can be vital to getting a job).