Do you hate the word “retarded”?

Generally I don’t. But I hate it when an American is using it. Every time I hear someone say it with his/her thick American accent, especially when it's coupled with "Oh man" at the start of his/her sentence…I just cringe.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not a very nice word, so I'm not a fan.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is one of those words that really gets to me. I find it extremely offensive to members of our community who are mentally challenged. I report it on GaG every time I see the insult thrown here on GaG but admin don't seem to make same connection that I do because they let it go.

What Girls Said 10

• Yes, I hate the word "retarded" especially when its overused and out of context. Its like if you disagree with someone else's opinion, they call you a "retard". As if your not entitled to your own opinion. Or if someone make a mistake it's " your a retard!" If you lack knowledge on certain subjects "no, that's not the answer. . . your such a retard". It makes the people that overuse this word so uneducated because they don't know what else to call people.

• The word when used like "oh my god, my dvd player won't work, it's so retarded" "Stan, you're so silly, you're so retarded" yea, it's annoying.

• No I don't hate the word, but why don't you like when Americans say it? LOl, and which American accent, there are more than one.

• Because of their thick accent.

• Nope, but I doubt I'd understand a word they say.

• I don't think you know what you're talking about. If you can understand English then you can very well understand an American person speaking English to you. The problem is you're using generalizations and stereotypes, probably from movies that have an agenda against Americans, or American films that are comedy and are meant to sound stupid. It makes no sense to not like something about a group you've never even encountered.

• i am indiferrent to it

• It doesn't bother me actually. Some people are actually retarded.
    And how does an American accent bother you? (I don't have an American accent).

• You know the "thick" American accent, like pronouncing "R" as "Rrr" or "Oh" as "OO".

For example when an American says "Oh man", he/she sounds like "OO mAAn".

• It sounds unpleasing to my ears.

• I feel like it shouldn't be used. I think it's pretty harmful and we all know that words can hurt

• Nope I don't usually hate words apart from some bad words.

• I use it all the time, with my American/Texan/ Southern accent! I guess I would bug you a lot.

• Yes I would be hairless at the end of the day, if I was living with you, because I would pull my hair every time I heard you saying that with your thick accent.

• But you said otherwise on your original post.

• I was joking.

• Well screw you and your retarded accent too. If you dont want to hear us, don't listen!

Your question is just straight up rude. Piss off!!!

• Because I cannot stand American accent?

• I got it, but I'm not British if you thought so.

By the way it's not a coincidence that every English school teacher I had so far, were always telling us to use British accent and not American accent, eh? Just to see, how highly they think about your accent.

• Your teeth are still gross

• What the fuck is an American accent

• You know this thick English accent? Like making the letter "R" sound very heavy. If you watch any American movie, you can see how American accents are.

• This is getting very foolish. I just wanted to answer a stupid question. So what if my analogy with the fruit was silly? It was a good analogy. If someone has a Cockney British accent, you aren't going to think of "Cockney British accent" you'll think of "British accent." People tend to generalize things and make them more simple. I do not think that fruit is the fucking English language. I was using an analogy, and in case you don't know what that is, which you obviously don't, the definition of analogy is: "a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification." The reason it seems that I keep repeating myself is because I'm trying to get it threw to you that your arguments are illogical and idiotic. Now, I'm going to go to sleep, so don't expect a reply from me for a few hours. We can continue this discussion the next time I have nothing better to do.

• @PancakeFury First of all, telling me I don't know what an analogy is when I clearly just fixed your own one is kind of stupid, sorry.
      Secondly, Britain is much smaller than America, is it not? There isn't very much variation whereas there are incredible differences in accents in the U. S.
      Thirdly, it's "through" not "threw"
      And finally, it was not a good analogy. It was kind of shit.

Goodnight! :)

What Guys Said 9

• It's not a word I use frequently. I have nothing against it.

• I don't care how others speak.

• wikipedia says that you suffer from mental retardation of your IQ is under 70. the word can also be used instead of the word delay, if you are delaying a situation you can say you are retarding the situation lol.

• I'm not really bothered. I don't think I've heard it in an American accent.
    I say "Retard" on a regular basis.

• I'm used to people from secondary school saying "Oh my DAYYYS"

• In other words we sound like a retard when we say retard. Gotcha.

• I don't like the word, as someone that is disabled its offensive. plus people really are retarded and i doubt someone would really make fun of someone with that disability, and if you do there is a special place in hell for ya.

• not really its a word

• This is how Americans say it... "Reetorded" lol