Why do people hate Muslims?

Most Helpful Girl

• Many people in N. America don’t come across Muslims very often. When the only information about Muslims the average individual comes across typically involves a bombing in France, or ISIS decapitating a US citizen in Syria, it is hard to not form preconceptions against Muslims in general.

When more of these similar news pop up, the viewer’s preconceptions further strengthens via confirmation bias. That is not to say that this action is right, it isn’t. However, it is simply a heuristic (mental shortcut), coined as ‘schema’ that is generally pretty useful when it comes to daily life. Not so useful when it comes to grouping people though, because that is how stereotypes are formed.

• so what you're saying is that North America needs more muslims? lol

• @HyperNova Not necessarily. I'm simply explaining why this phenomenon occurs.

Most Helpful Guy

• Thanks to a shortcut human brains take called "Out-group Homogeneity Bias". Basically, it's the notion that people in other groups we don't belong in are more similar to each other than people within our own groups.

For example: I would consider myself a nerd, a group of people who are intensely infatuated with video games and the fiction/fantasy genre. Being a nerd, however, is a bunch of different things. There are gamers who are speed runners, casuals, or achievement hunters. There are Kirk Trekkies and Picard Trekkies, and so on. To confuse any of those groups with the others is not something you want to do in front of them, because that would be like calling a Catholic a Pentacostal (similar, but with drastic differences).

To the outside observer, however, we are all just nerds. Let's take a sports jock, for instance. To him, nerds are just socially awkward individuals who live in fantasy worlds. In his world, the world of a sports jock, there are a bunch of different subgroups- there is American Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Rugby, Hockey, etc. To confuse any of those sports, their fans, or their players, would be an egregious mistake to someone who is a part of jock culture. On the outside, say, to a nerd, jocks are all just dumb meatheads.

Out-group Homogeneity Bias necessarily comes from a lack of information. Because all that nerds who aren't involved in sports ever see jocks doing is being meatheads, they make the assumption that sports fans are all that way, which is not true. Just in the same note, jocks see nerds as socially awkward individuals, which I can also tell you is just not true.

Knowing this, we apply it to your original question, "Why do people hate Muslims?" The answer is simple: Out-group Homogeneity Bias. The only place many in the West see Muslims is on the news channels, and it almost always is about how they are terrorists in some attack somewhere in the world. They only see them as the enemy. They don't know that that is a very small portion of Muslims. They make the assumption that what they've seen a few people do is true of all of the people who are Muslim.

Is it right? No, it's not. We need to be more aware of others today than ever. The problem is is that Muslims need to be cast in more roles than just "Terrorist". The people of that faith need to be shown as more than religious fanatics. Otherwise, all people will ever see are terrorists. And who can blame them for hating terrorists?

What Girls Said 11

• Because Muslims are violent, homophobic, misogynistic, racist, narrow-minded, vindictive, self-righteous jackwagons.

• There's a difference between misogynists and muslim gynophobia.

• Because there are a group of people who paint our religion to be some violent, hating one.
    When the truth is, if you meet 'actual' Muslims, such as myself, and many others I know, we are tolerating, respectful and actually just like everybody else lol.
    It's just a belief, doesn't change who I am as a person.
    Trust me, it sucks how people have these expectations of me because of ym religion, i'm human just like everybody else.

• ı go along with you

• I'm not an Atheist but I get your point, we should accept all beliefs as legit, no matter how insane...

Dumb:
      1. lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted.

I'd say, believing a flying horse flew a man up to heaven in the clouds is pretty dumb, so is worshiping a man who happens to be a warlord and child rapist, qualifies as lacking good judgement.

I know this isn't soft and tender to people feelings but it is the truth, therefore feelings do not matter because the truth does not care about peoples feelings, it is neutral, it just is.

• @Jager66 I understand that some of Islams teachings are awkward. Firstly there's sectors, and I belong to the Shia sector, where we don't believe half these teachings - we even believe in sex before marriage LOL. But I just wanna point out that were not crazy, but we realise that these teachings were many years ago, where society's morals are different. Of course today we wouldn't do that stuff ourselves. But I get your point.

• They keep attacking my continent and slaughtered innocents including children because of a belief in a so called god.

• Im assuming you're talking about ISIS - they kill Muslims too.
      My family are living under threat right now in Baghdad. And they're Muslim. We always say over and over again, that ISIS are not representative of Islam.
      I'm sorry you feel this way.

• @Alyssa1111 I've nothing against actual muslims at all. I just dislike anyone who uses religion as an excuse to be bigoted.

• Yup, totally agree with you.

• LMAO are u kidding me? let's just think about this for a second...

• Uh terrorist attacks. Ever since 9/11, the culture has been a threat. Yeah, not everyone is a terrorist- but it's better to be safe than sorry. That's why security is so strict with their culture too.

I get some people might say this is racist or whatever- but maybe try to think about it from another's perspective.

• You are on a roll today. Why do people hate Muslims, Christians, and Jews...

• I dont hate

• Because the media and a few bad ones makes it bad for the peaceful ones out there, one bad apple makes the whole cart rotten.

• Isn't it obvious? TERRORIST

• Have you been watching the news for the last few years?

• Becuase they come to our countries and commit horrible crimes, try to change our culture, take over the world, live of off benefits and demand to be treated like royalty or else they will scream racist and cause chaos.

• all muslims don't want to do that this is what isis wanna do not all muslims

• @Bilal11 Yes I'm european.

• Which country in Europe just curiosity

What Guys Said 17

• IGNORANCE - Believing the crap that some public figures are dishing up to serve a self serving agenda - According to stats, most murders in Ireland are committed by White Irish Catholic Males, I want to make Ireland safe again so all White Irish Catholic Males should be banned from Ireland - That is a perfectly logical analysis to reduce the murder rate in Ireland (At least my stats are 100% accurate unlike some peoples)

• your stat is extremely flawed and uneducated

• 1) Ireland is 85% christian, so basically christians will be the majority of anything that takes place whether its a good thing or bad..

2) there's a difference in the way a muslim and a christian do their killing... when a muslim does it, he does it while praising allah because muslims think theyre doing gods work when they kill non believers, hence the " allahu akbar".. when a christian kills, he kills because he is just a random, screwed up human being.. his crime cannot be attributed to the bible because the bible doesn't give us permission to kill non believers.. when is the last time you heard of a christian guy kill in the name of christ? you haven't because thats not what christ taught his followers to do

• I think some people are against muslims because of the terrorist attacks, the brutal executions that happen and stuff

• Because private military cartels pose as Muslims to cause chaos and destruction while the media covers the tragedies they cause to instill fear and justify the rape and pillage of their land in the Middle East, as well as distracting us from the atrocities the Western nations actually bring among their people.

• I don't hate Muslims

• Because people are too stupid to differentiate and rather believe what some populist idiots have to say

• Because religion is not as great as it makes out

• Cause noone educated , all talk about Islam and Muslims , and noone really studied it
    Cause media focus on crimes Muslims do like that rape in Canada, Canada has 450,000 sex assults, they only focus on one of them
    Cause some Muslim countries have oil, so hate is needed to justify invasion

• Because they are trying to get sheria rules to countrys that they live and they are trying to make jihad and they are forcing me to be a muslim. And they think I am a qafir.
    I was born as a muslim and I am living in a muslim country but when I saw how bad is islam. I converted into atheism.

• people who hate muslims they follow the media

if people read the quran for once their idea about islam will change

jennifer williams said :
    sorry i read the quran to learn about terrorist beliefs but ended up converting to islam b/c of what it said.

if you wanna know about something do some researches dont just throw some words u heard it from media

• Lol you must be the same person who just has asked the question "why do people hate Jews" as i said there , people dont hate average muslims but hate muslims who think they can insult-kill people just because they dont believe in islam so on

• I don't hate Muslims.

• People don`t hate Muslims, they hate the ones who misinterpret Koran and blow up people in the name of Allah , Islam needs some serious introspection

• I don't hate muslims, I respect everybody, including their religious beliefs.

• muslims deserve to be hated.

• thats just the way it is

• go read the quran... itll give you a slight hint

• If they read the Quran it will actually be better.

• @ElissaDido are you sure? they might stumble across the 108 verses in it that teach and promote hatred and bloodshed

• Open a newspaper any day of the week.

They treat their women like property, they are incredibly violent, their attitudes are backward, they lie about their goals, the do not integrate into other cultures, and for a religion so backward they have an incredible egotism.