How to NOT fall asleep?

I need to work on something incredibly important tonight and I can't just fall asleep. Any tips that can help me through the night?
Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Opening your windows and letting in fresh, coolish air can help a lot. Also moving your body is a good way to stay awake (for example you could step outside and go for a short, 3-5 minute walk every hour or so). What also helps to stay awake and alert is drinking a lot of water and taking a cold (or lukewarm) shower.

What you should NOT do (although many people will suggest it) is drinking a lot of energy drinks or coffee. The sugar and caffein in these beverages is counterproductive. They make you super hyper and awake for 10-20 minutes but after that, your energy level nosedives underground and after 45-60 minutes, you actually feel sleepier than if you hadn't drank that coffee or energy drink. That's why drinking a lot of water is actually better.
    If you feel like you really, really need some caffeine, try drinking a tea.
    Oh and if you're hungry, eating some fruits can also help you stay awake.

• P. s. One more thing that can help you feel refreshed is paying attention to your breathing. For example when we yawn, the cause usually has to do with not enough oxygen reaching our bran (for example because our breathing is too "flat"). This makes the brain exhausted and it turns on low energy mode.
      In order to prevent this, take a break every once in a while (one or twice and hour) and do a little breathing exercise: sit comfortably on your chair and relax. Then, slowly and deeply inhale while counting to 3 in your head. Once you can't inhale any more air, slowly exhale it again, while counting to 3 in your head (both the inhaling and exhaling should take about 3-4 seconds each). Repeat this for 1-2 minutes and solely focus on your breathing. This is both refreshing (because your body receives a lot of oxygen) and relaxing. It's an exercise that is also sometimes applied for different types of therapy (in fact, I was taught this exercise by my mom who is a psychologist).

• That's really good advice, thank u very much.

Most Helpful Girl

• Coffee but honestly, it can get ineffective once you get used to it. That's what happened to me. However, you can try to take a cold shower, it'll wake you up. =) Also, adrenaline keeps our body up so exercise enough to raise your adrenaline but don't do it so excessively that you exhaust yourself and knock yourself out.

What Guys Said 4

• well, if you're working on something then you should stay awake automatically.
    that's at least how it works for me.

• But I have to stay awake til I can start working on it. Which is like til 3-5 am.

• Red bull and lots of it

• espresso

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• Set a REALLY loud alarm to go off every 10 minutes on your phone and put headphones in so if you do fall asleep that will wake you up

• Drink coffee