Why are men portrayed as being gross and dirty and women portrayed as being clean and tidy?

When in fact women are just as gross as guys?
Probably even more disgusting than guys actually.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I honestly don't understand this either. Most girls I know have filthy apartments or junk lying around everywhere. Meanwhile, anyone jumps on the opportunity to call me "gay" because I keep things clean and tidy. There are some girls that are clean and tidy, but in my experience (at least with the guys I know) guys are generally tidier and cleaner.

Perhaps it's because women have "moved on" from the gender stereotypes of past times (they aren't really EXPECTED to clean anymore) but have retained the positive attributes associated with their sex even though they're not consistent with reality. I think that throughout history, cleanliness has also been a masculine trait. Men like to keep their work areas clean etc. So much media (sit coms, etc.) portraying men as dirty and disgusting has built up this annoying stereotype.

Of course some men are pretty gross too, not gonna lie. So, this answer mostly addresses the popular perception of the genders, rather than trying to make an actual generalization.

What Girls Said 2

• I live with five boys they are disgusting and dirty I'm just like how do they make such a big mess although I know not all guys are like this.

• No they are not. It's my observation that majority women tend to be tidy and neat with any work and many guys do that in haphazard manner.
    The crucial word here is 'majority'

• Nothing wrong with that tho. I mean men are better at some things than women and vice versa.

What Guys Said 16

• Nifty little thing you learn in sales friend; Always undersell and over-deliver.

If men are expected to be gross and dirty that means that we score points whenever we're not. If we were expected to be clean and tidy we would lose points when we weren't. Why change something that works in our favor, no matter what reality may or may not be.

• Every person who ever was in a public bathroom for women know that women can be and are as disgusting as men.

But it has become common occurance that its completely fine to make fun of men and mock them, but the moment the same is done to women everyone loses their shit.

• Perhaps generally men are seen as more gross on average but on the flip side, when a woman sleeps around, she's seen as a garbage dump as opposed to the man.

• Because many guys don't really care about their looks or the place they are leaving in, take me for example, I only care about my looks and personal hygiene , but not my living space. While most of the girls have a concern about anything that it's not clean or in it's place. Who knows, maybe it's a leftover from when we were hunters (mostly men) and gatherers (mostly women).

• Because it's funny and people don't take it and other gender stereotype jokes personally.
    Well, normal people don't.

• cause we live in a misandrist, double standarted society, that still somehow manages to victimize itself and calls everybody who thinks otherwise a misogynist.

• Not sure, I've been to several girl's dorm rooms and apartments, and most of them were REALLY messy and dirty. Clothes everywhere, shoes everywhere, random crap all over the floor, etc. So I know from my personal experience that girls are way messier than men.

• Dunno. It's vice versa actually. If a girl got a pennies for every dirty thing she had done, most of them would be a millionaires by now. I mean what else can you expect from a creature who enjoys in having a penis in her mouth just after it visited a but-thole?

• This question kind of makes me upset. But, first I want to know why you think that mayne?

• My sister's room is a wreck lol. I don't know how we got such a bad rep. I think cleanliness makes others think of femininity for some reason.

• Girls are super messy. I'm clean af. Most WOMEN I know though, they're pretty clean like myself.

• Yin and yang

• this is the social construct.

women are just as bad

• dont know

• Sexism just how guys are expected to pay rent and for dates and support her baby and her if you split up

• thats just how god made us