Can I go to jail?

Hey guys so I did something stupid
There's a site that people give for free things they don't need, so they ship them to others
The person that want the item pays the shipping fee.
But it's not like eBay, you talk to each other through inbox, you tell them the fee and they pay you to PayPal

I did this I mentioned a series of fake items
I got the money but I never shipped
Can I get in trouble? I once logged in from my ip, the other times I logged in from hidden ips
I mean I said this guy hey I will give this item send me 4$ on PayPal and he said oh ok I will ship it here thanks.
I know it's stupid I was stupid I can't do anything right know the admin said he can track me and bring me to law, is this possible? For $10? He said he will sue me.
He only know my provider's ip.

I know it's stupid but can someone enlighten me?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, that is considered theft so you can go to jail. Unless you can afford a good lawyer, I'd recommend contacting him and seeing if you can remedy the situation. Perhaps offering to reimburse him twice as much (since it is only $10) including the fake shipping fee as a courtesy for the inconvenience. If you're really that concerned, offer him $50 and say something along the lines of, "I am so sorry for the inconvenience. My 13 year old nephew was clowning around from my computer. Please accept my reimbursement and save yourself court fees and lawyer fees."

• But it wasn't a secure payment like eBay he transferred himself the money from eBay writing down the fake email address

• Ah, I see. Well this is one of those rare instances where I'd recommend lying to save your ass and keep your record from being smudged over something so silly. :/ Blame it on the 13 year old nephew that doesn't exist lol then make sure you offer to reimburse him FIVE TIMES as much. Be very sincere and apologetic.

• no biggie. Lets just focus on damage control at this point

Most Helpful Guy

• oh yes you will be in trouble big time man there are so many people would say want something to pay pal and even ips and even fake items big time man don't to this to your life get out of that please don't waste your life what would your parents say and towards that they would ground you man and even taken away priveleges do want that and how old are you dude come on man tell your parents whats going on I am doing this because I care about you and I care on what you do and do you think what god would feel about this do you believe in him and I know he would tell you to not throw your life like this

What Girls Said 9

• yes u can

• You could get in trouble for that, but tell the admin you'll pay them back the money and do it and maybe he won't

• Really depends on how eager the person is that owns the website. If they keep persuing you and actually go through with suing you then yeah, you can be fined. But put in prison? i don't think so, this only happens when a lot of money is involved. It costs a lot to go through with suing and its very time consuming. You would have to have ripped off people by thousands for prison time.

avatar 12 even in any amount of money he will be in trouble any ways for that amount will be community service not jail

• Seeing that it went through paypal I would say yes he will be able to track you. And you can get in trouble for this but with the amount being 10 dollars it would be considered petty theft I would think which is usually a fine or a few days in jail. Honestly he might be trying to scare you into either fixing the problem or so you don't do it again to someone else because that seems like a lot of effort to go through for 10 dollars.

• Why don't you give the money back?

• give him the damn money back and tell him you're sorry

• No way, it's only couple dollars

• it was you... suing your ass

• Yes you can.

What Guys Said 4

• Logging in on an ip doesn't matter for you there chief, you used a paypal which links to various other accounts, which all have previous ips stored. Don't be a scamming little piece of shit. Paypal will likely refund it.

• They have your PayPal info, yes return the money and hope for the best.

• Are you so stupid that you don't understand crime/punishment? But, no, I doubt jail time over $4

• How exacly was this a crime?
      It wasn't a sale, he gave me his money I did not sell him something I told him I will send him something for free but I didn'

• Fraud. Using paypal makes it wire fraud. Oh, hell. You're just bored and trollin.

• Anyway, if paypal was used, they have a dispute process.

• That would be a con, and yes since you went through PayPal, tracking you will be easy. Have fun in jail.

• It was a fake paypal email

• Still easy, dumbass.