Is it better to use paper to take notes? or Laptop? Which one do you prefer?

I love writing out my notes.
It's very hard for me to study from the screen since it hurts my eyes; and I can't seem to focus.
With papers, it feels more convenient and comfortable?

Anyway, this girl mentioned it would be waste of papers to do that. : O
And she mentioned something about killing trees.

Anywho, so which one is better?
I use both by the way. I write my notes in class, and then do some more research and type those and print them out... so I guess I am wasting papers. > :/

Can I just go with papers?
This is bothering me.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I always take notes by hand, be it when I'm at the actual lecture, to studying and highlighting key points from a textbook, to when I'm setting up the outline+draft for my end-of-sem reports. Most people usually tease me about being oldschool like that. That I should just do it all on my laptop, it's much 'faster' and 'efficient' but I've always found that it's much easier to give my whole focus and organize my thoughts better when I do everything aside from the final copy, by hand.

• Totally agree with this " it's much easier to give my whole focus and organize my thoughts better"
      Am the same way

What Guys Said 10

• I'm like 'Old School,' probably a Monk, in a Library of Old Times!! I like writing things on quarter sheets!! When I print something that doesn't come out right, I cut that sheet into quarters, for notes!!
    I guess I learned that from a lot of other, REALLY smart guys, writing notes on little papers, and then organizing them.
    Not yet trusting this computer nonsense, and how so many put their whole Lives out there, electronically!! I like my little note papers, my library, and I am here, with all the answers, and books, when the Internet fails, and so many are totally lost without their phones!!!

• If you use a laptop why not capture the whole damn lecture session via video capture from the webcam or something?

Get all of the audio and visuals and then you can play the captured video back over and over again and see if there are anything you had overlooked or missed or misunderstood or thought you had understood but in actuality that you didn't understood at all. if you could zoom into stuff on writing boards or projection screens.

There's also the OneNote app from Microsoft IIRC, which is designed and specialized for taking notes from computers, tablets, and various mobile devices.

• As a side note, if you do this you should ask your professor of its okay first. Same with recording lectures.

• You're welcome, but what are you thanking me for?

• @Miezko For reminding me that I would need to ask the professor first before recording his lecture : )

• You can turn the screen brightness down, also do you do it in a dark room?
    Who gives a shit if you wanna murder innocent saplings go ahead! (just kidding write on whatever you want)

• haha :D

And nope, even in daylights, I can't study from electronic devices.

• Ah I hate looking at screens with a light on I don't know why, never have any issues though!

• Paper is better to study from and won't disappear from a screensaver but yeah I have the same problem as you

• I still have all my notes from college classes, and I actually went back, looking for some things I did in some labs, working at a job!! They were really amazed that I knew those things, and when I showed them copies of the lab notebooks, they were really impressed that I knew how to document things, and we actually used some of the things I figured out, years before!!
      You never know where GREAT ideas can come from!!!

• @SomeGuy37 yeah you must have so much paper notes piled up but organized. I'm old school with most things too but after awhile there is so much clutter

• It's all about organization!! I have notes, on different things in little card boxes! When I am bored, and there is nothing on t. v. or between fruit-canning seasons, I just randomly pick a box, take something out, and Google it!! Hours of research, MORE paper for the printed files!!!
      But I know so many odd facts that I can easily impress women, at parties, just whipping out some crazy odd facts!!

• Laptop forsure but you always get that professor that references some study that says you retain more information with hand written notes

• I much rather take my notes on a Laptop.

• Neither, I've always found note taking to be a waste of time.

• How did you study for tests then?

• I have a good memory/retention. Plus with good rest taking skills you'll find the majority of the answers right on the test. Same with essays, a good writing strategy can make even a vague understanding seem good. Personally, I've never found school challenging and consider myself more self taught.

• Lucky you :)

• Laptop in my opinion because i can type really fast where as with writing I write fairly slowly

• Android app these days

• I like my laptop...

What Girls Said 17

• It really depends on the class. If it's the type of class where I like to write side notes and highlight things and draw arrows, I do it by hand. If it's a lecture where I can write out things word for word, I do it by laptop because I can type faster and I don't get hand cramps trying to keep up.

• I usually take notes on paper during lectures and then type t up later when I get home, though that person is right, it is a waste of paper 😕

• I used to take notes with my laptop because I can type somewhere around 120 words per minute so typing what the professor was saying was more accurate than writing and missing something. I would rewrite them on paper as a means to review and study. There's just something about writing down the information and seeing it in my own writing that really helped it stick.

• It also makes it really clear to see which part of the lecture was most important to retain.

• I like to do both. I guess whatever is more convenient for me. If I have my laptop open and it's there, I use my laptop. If I don't have my laptop and I have a pen and paper, I'll use my pen and paper.

I feel like I use a pen and paper the most though. It doesn't take up much room in my bag and it's not weighing my bag down making feel like I'm carrying a bag of rocks lol

• Just do what works for you. Everything else is secondary.

• From a neuroscience opinion writing in a notebook solidifies the info in your brain better.

• Is it truly so? Although I have personally experience itthie way!:)

• @Youusername I study instructional design right now so we learned about this. But not everyone's brains are the same. Some may find typing more effective.

• Paper is better because it gives you a better overview. You can spread them. A laptop or pad is OK once the text is finished and you just want to read it or do a simple lookup. But for comparing stuff on multiple pages, paper is better.

• Tell her to shove it. People are slowly destroying the planet already all your doing is taking notes. I personally type slow so I have to take notes plus looking at a computer for a long time gives me migraines.

If you prefer taking notes do just that.

• I've never taken notes on a computer. Always handwritten.

• I used to prefer paper. But after two years going to uni, there's a lot of paper to carry... so now I'm more on my laptop.

• I take notes with either pen or pencil and paper. Then I type them down in my devices as a back up.

• I use automated calendar/cell/email reminders

• I have to write everything down.
    Tried the whole typing thing and I just can't.

• I use paper because I like it... and because I am not in college yet.

• Go with paper because you'll always have it. When you read something online it's better for you to write it down in your own words so you'll remember it better.

• Take notes is easier and you absorb more of the info

• My laptop. I type faster on it and it's easier to edit