Using technology from another country?

I'm moving to Europe soon and I wanted to know if I bought a laptop charger from there if I can use it on my laptop from the US? Also can I use my gaming consoles if I get European adapters? I know I can just use a converter but I've had things burn out and I'd rather not risk the safety of my laptop.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would contact the manufacturer of your system. If for no other reason than to see if it violates the warranty if you have one.

Having said that, I don't know the answer because I have no idea what kind of chargers are used. But if I were to guess, I'd say that it would not be compatible. It's not about the plug (which there are many different ones in Europe). You can get an adapter for that. The problem is the voltage. Unless the charger has a switch to change from 110 to 220 then I would not trust it unless you find out for sure otherwise.

The game console would be the same. There may be converters that will work, but I would assume they won't until you find out otherwise.

What Guys Said 7

• You need to check the little letters on the transforner.

Most of them will say something like:
    Input 120/230~ V

120V are used in the US and 230V are used in Europe.

So, if the transformer supports it, you can use a cheap adapter and it won't burn down your equipment.

Most chargers/transformers these days are ready for both, but AlWaYs double check it

• 1|0
  • Bringing your American consoles to Europe would be kinda dumb if you buy games here. European games have different regions so you won't be able to play them on your American consoles even if that console is in Europe at that time.

• Yes I knew that but I just wanted to be able to beat the games I currently have instead of having to start all over on a new console

• You need a travel adapter.

• Check for voltages in chargers. I think its different in both the countries, try searching on internet for home electricity

• You can use your devices, but you cannot use US power adapters in Europe and vice versa.

• Thank you! Yes I knew that, I just wanted to make sure I could still use the devices

• You need adapters, our plugs are different to the US ones (and remember that UK plugs are different to continental Europe plugs).

What Girls Said 0