Do people in your country tip at restaurants and bars?

I dont think we do this here in Belgium i have never seen it happen.

• yes
  • no
also maybe state your country.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I hardly ever see it people already feel the food is expensive and won't pay more.

What Girls Said 10

• Not really, no. Sometimes we'll leave the change but I guess since people get a minimum wage here and aren't depending on tips to survive, we don't really do that.

• Most countries outside of Canada and the US just pay their servers and barkeeps a higher wage and don't do tipping. Here, they rely on tips for their income.

• I usually don't go to restaurants and I've never been to a bar.
    But, based on my experiences in restaurants, I think people don't do that here.

• Yes I'm in the US and a server. We expect 20% because we have a 3$ hourly wage, which is nothing after taxes. Our salary is the tips.

• jesus fucking christ, that is actually depressing.

• Yeah. They thought about including the tip in the price of the food and drinks. first problem is it would be less appealing to the people who were more frugal. Second problem is we make more money if people just tip us, and we work harder. We're directly accountable for the amount of money we make

• i guess thats more like self employment then, i mean you are responsible for your own wage more. here the government has to interfere with everything, thats no good either.

• nope never

• In the UK we tip if the service is good :)

• I used to work at a buffet and I got tips a lot

• Yes we do.

• Nope not here

• noone have the nerve to walk out without leaving a tip, and noone have the nerve to tip less than 5 euros.

• what country?

• thats just plain stupid.

• I was kidding damn. But I honestly don't get less than 5 euros as a tip, I work in a 5 stars hotel. Good night.

What Guys Said 23

• Yes, but it's not mandatory. It's not like in the US where the waitress has to eat old bread for the rest of the month if she doesn't get tipped enough. The waiters and waitresses do earn fair salaries in Switzerland but it's considered polite to leave a tip if you were satisfied with the service. The general rule of thumb is 5-10% of the total bill, depending on various factors such as how happy you were with the service, how fancy the restaurant is (you should tip for in luxurious restaurants), how much money you have (a banker is expected to be more generous than a university student) etc. I usually tip somewhere around 7-8% of the total bill. However, there are also exceptions. For example tonight I was in a restaurant with my girlfriend where the waiter was fast and efficient but pretty unfriendly, so we didn't give him a tip and we also didn't feel bad about it. Tipping is considered more of bonus here. If you do good work, you get it, otherwise you don't.

• U. S. and we do. I wish we could get rid of the tipping system here honestly. It's kinda' a scam. What other profession do the customers directly subsidize the employees pay directly?

If anyone should get a tip it's the cook. I went their for the food really.

• they should make a system where you go get your food directly from the cook so waiters are unnecessary.

• No, a 15% tip is always included in the bill.

• where do you live?

• what a shitty thing to do, to include a tip in the bill.

• We don't even see it anymore. Many bills are quite simplified. I usually leave an euro or so extra if the service is good.
      But it gives waiters a 15% cut in the turnover of the business. I wish I had that much.
      And if the owners does it alone, without waiters, it boasts his turnover by 15%.

• In the USA on the west coast in California, yes people tip all the time. We are one of the few states that has the standard minimum wage for wait staff, so most people don't tip more than 10%.

• In California most people don't tip less than 10% unless it was horrible service.. Which part of California are you talking about?

• @KittieCat southern California, outside of Los Angeles county

• Ah. In the Bay Area it's seen as rude to tip that low haha. Crazy to think how different it is even if it's just 300 miles

• Yes, I tip 15 percent standard and 20 or over for good service or when the server looks like they have had rough day.
    I'm American

• Yes I always tip.

• in germany it´s kind but not obligatory to do so.

• Yes, in Canada, all the time.

• yes, but I only do it if I have the money to spare or if I think they earned it

• Yes, you're expected to top in my country (the United States of America).

• Yes. I tip 20% for good service.

• Yea, in the U. S. it's considered rude not to.

• Not that much here in the UK

• I am Belgian as well, and no.

• yea in england quite a bit unless your poor and go to shit restaurants.

• Not really

• I tip at restaurants because the waitresses usually get paid minimum wage.

• That's interesting. I've never been anywhere where there wasn't tipping in restaraunts or bars.

• In America it is extremely rude not to tip.

• yes :)

• Always tip as a form of courtesy and thank you, unless the waiters did a terrible job lol

• No.. Most european countres dont have tip culture.

• It is usual to say to keep the change rounded to the next Euro or 0.5€ if it was multiple Euros. If it was expensive and feeling generous, it is not unheard of rounding to the next 5€ or 10€.

• It also keeps the copper coins out of yor pocket and the waiter/waitress the hassle of searching the smaller change.