Why are drawings more appreciated than stories?

I feel so sorry for myself for asking this but I just feel the need to vent and to seek answers.

I have had classmates who draw at a very magnificent level and whenever they finish artworks, they are greatly acclaimed by almost all people who see the work at their first sight.

Whereas, I have had classmates who write stories at a very proficient level. Whenever they finish writing a piece, they are almost not recognized until it is read. The title sometimes does not keep the attention. Most of the time, few people actually have the patience to read the piece and leave comments after reading.

It bothers me this much because I think it is unfair that one gets more recognition yet both equally employ dedication and hard work.

56

Most Helpful Guy

• Where there's you're problem you think it's about dedication and hard work and art (drawing/painting) is more so an emotional adventure...

• They can, but often times writing is tedious with multiple revisions, proof reading, rereading the same story over and over and over again as small modifications in language are made to craft a story the author thinks others will like and potentially relate to. With art you just flow and it's only for you... Many tend to admire it when they see the end product, but to the artist it's all about the journey. They are very different fundamentally.

• Raw language like freestyle poetry is closer to the visual arts in spirit.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know it's unfair but life is almost, always never fair. I think it's all because we tend to be lazy creatures. It's easier to see things than to read words. Some people don't even bother reading things if it's too long. So, it's no wonder that it's easier to appreciate an artwork than a literary work. But, there's places for these two things to thrive. If they really wanted to be recognized, they should go to sites about poetry/stories and I'm pretty sure there's places for these stories too. You just have to know where to put your work if you want the proper recognition.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 5

• Because it takes time to go through and analyse a story while you can deduce if a painting is good or not within a minute.

• It is the instant gratification thing - An image can be taken in straight away but a story takes time to read and not as many are willing to do this.

• We are becoming a visual society. The brain can draw by far more superior pictures from carefully selected words than any artists hand.

It is not that the stories are not appreciated, they take longer to assimilate and therefore less attention is paid to the detail of the prose.

• Because they are different. you need longer time to anylise the content of a writing

• As someone who is an artist and writer I think it's because writing isn't as 'in your face' as art.

• were more viaual,, and were also lazy and dont like to read

What Girls Said 4

• Because, like you already hinted at, you actually have to *read* the story in order to appreciate it, which requires more effort than just glancing at a picture. Similarly how people sometimes just watch the movie adaption of a book because they can't be bothered with having to read a book from cover to cover. It requires more time and patience. Whereas you just have to look at a picture for a few seconds to see that it's good.

• It's more simplier to just look in painting and give a judge, while reading takes time, you just can't look through and give a judge. And visuals are capable to attract more attention in general, because it's more open for admiration and can catch an eye in the beginning while text is incapable to do so.
    I understand it can be frustrating, especialy for creators it is nightmare when nobody recognises your piece. But some have to put more effort in advertising ther work, that's how it is.

• Good point! Visuals are indeed pleasing to look at first sight
      Advertising does play a role, too. I haven't thought of that.

• Wow! Amazing, really. Those are very insightful and those thoughts of the two of them going hand-in-hand didn't cross my mind until now.
      Am I really a writer? I mean, I just love to write and it is where I consider my life revolves.

• @kastinis Yep -- This, exactly.

This is also the reason why superficially attractive women get the most attention at first from men, but women with solid character, confidence, and interesting personalities get MUCH more interest for serious long-term relationships.

• Artwork you just look at, stories take more work to be properly seen.