Were these selfies worth a felony criminal charge?

Just read this article about paramedics (a girl and a guy) who were having a selfie war and just doing dumb poses with patients who were sedated and stuff. The guy was charged with battery (which is basically a variant of assault) because in one of the selfies, he held a patients eyelid open.

Now should these guys be fired? Yea Should they have to pay some kind of fine and maybe community service or something? Yea

I don't think these people belong in the same kind of jail that people who rob banks and kill cops end up in.

Here's the article:
http://fox6now.com/2016/07/22/florida-sheriff-arrests-two-paramedics-for-degrading-selfies/

To be honest, it sounds to me like whoever is setting up the charges, is exaggerating so I don't know how honestly his charges the represent the situation. I have a feeling they aren't a very honest depiction at all.

What about you?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• So if they did that to your family member you'd be cool with it? Let's say your mom was just in a car accident and you find out some asshole took a selfie with her while she's In a coma. The civilized thing to do would be press charges and sue. The thing I'd want to do it place that motherfucker in a coma and take photos which would be mailed to his/her parents.

• You know what else those kids did? They replaced the blood she lost, being careful that her body was accepting it, they cleaned her cuts, gave her drugs to kill the pain so powerful that they're illegal outside of their field-why? Because they have special skill sets to use them. They saved my mother's and many other's lives, and they saved the quality of countless other's lives.

If it happened to me I would find them, tell them that what theyre doing is wrong and if I hear about them doing it again, I'll report them to the hospital and they'll deal with them. There's no reason for anyone to go to jail for being disrespectful because I bet from an objective point of view, we've all done worse.

What Girls Said 2

• Yes, I think so. People who are placed in a position of trust have the obligation to be respectful of those in their care. If they cannot do that, they should be fired. If their disrespect of those in their care amounts to sexual assault of unconscious persons, then they should absolutely be criminally charged.

• Well, I don't expect it any other way when we (people) are the ones to set the punishments...

What Guys Said 6

• well i think this is that kind of humor you can have between paramedics... between colleques i don´t think it´s hugely problematic. but this is disrepsecting the patient and if you get caught doing it or stuff gets public, then deal with the consequences.

• Actually it breaks HIPPA.

• @bcromartie well as long as they don´t harm her and take pictures like that, i don´t really mind xD not even if they´d do it to me.

• Yea, I don't see how snapping the occasional selfie distracts a nurse from anything. I totally agree with you

• I think it's all silly. Here in Florida we have a large contingent of old people who frequently depress the rest of us by dying and/or getting gravely ill. I thus feel that some level of humor should be added to the mix when possible. Of course we should draw the line at funny though degrading practices such as snipping off their lips and sticking darts in their eyeballs, but they're taking things too far as usual by filing ridiculous criminal charges. We need to try and keep things fun!

• i think their occupation changes the situation. if they weren't healthcare professionals and clearly doing things that were not helping their patients but in fact the time spent doing this could be a detriment to the health of their charges seems to me to criminal activity.

• Why am I not surprised this happened in Florida?

• They need some lesson to know how to not be retarded

• They should have felonies.