What's a good car to buy?

I'm 19, a beginner driver. I want a sedan or a hatchback (if it's spacious) with a hard metal body, preferably a Japanese car within a $18-27k. Looks are not everything to me, however, if there is a car that fits these qualifications and does look good, please let me know! I really don't know anything about cars but I do need something safe, spacious and has a metal exterior instead of plastic. Thank you!

1|0
10|11

Most Helpful Guy

• Within that price range, the most popular choices for sedans --- among younger people with no children that they have to transport around --- are the cars within the "compact car" size of vehicles. And for Japanese cars, popular and usually-reliable choices are made by the companies Toyota, Honda, Mazda, etc.

Each car company usually has one car, within its compact-car segment, to sell under its name.

Toyota makes the Toyota Corolla:
    st.motortrend.com/.../...lla-LE-side-in-motion.jpg

Honda makes the Honda Civic:
    st.automobilemag.com/.../...Civic-Touring-side.jpg

Mazda makes the Mazda 3:
    s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/.../...review-2014_46.jpg

There are also other Japanese companies who make sedans: like Nissan (with the Nissan Sentra), Subaru (with the Subaru Impreza), and Mitsubishi (with the Mitsubishi Lancer).

However, the 3 pictures I provided are the ones that I see more people driving. You should of course do your own research into each car; look at things like reviews on RELIABILITY, gas mileage, horsepower, handling, etc. And then pick the one that gives you the best deal, considering everything. :)

2|1
    0|0
    • Oh and just in case you were curious about Nissan, Subaru, and Mitsubishi anyway lol:

The Nissan Sentra:
      st.motortrend.com/.../...san-Sentra-SR-side-02.jpg

The Subaru Impreza:
      static.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/.../...ew.jpg

The Mitsubishi Lancer:
      st.motortrend.com/.../...ide-profile-in-motion.jpg

• Thank you so much! This helps a lot! I was thinking about getting a Subaru Legacy or Impreza but I was unsure about the exterior. I didn't know if it was a metal exterior. The only cars I know that have metal exterior is Mercedes, but that's expensive.

• As far as I know, most cars --- especially in your price range --- still have bodies made out of steel. So that shouldn't be a concern. :) If you really feel like testing it for some reason lol, you can put a magnet to it. It will stick to the car.

The front and rear bumpers for many cars, though, tend to be made of plastic these days, but that's not really a big deal. Modern cars are safer than ever, and bumpers are more effective than ever in doing their jobs too. Hope this helps! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like you should go look at some cars and get some insurance quotes.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• Why throw 18-30grand away? in my opinion just get a used one? I have a 2000 standard mazda that is really fun to drive, it's probably not worth fuck all considering it's old but it has very few km on it. Just find a nice used one in my opinion, esp if you're a beginner.

0|0
    0|0
  • If that's your budget i'd recommend any Subaru. Solid cars but stay away from the used performance models.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get a BMW, they have tons of airbags and are completely safe. You could get a decent used one in that price range.

In that price range you could get a 2009 to 2011 bmw 3 series with some nice package options and even nav if you need it.

The performance and handling are amazing. And they are also stylish cars.

Once you drive a bmw you won't want to drive anything else.

Japanese cars are meh

0|0
    0|2
  • For practicality and if you deal with winter get a subaru forester.

Subarus awd is great and the forester is practical

0|0
    0|0
  • why tf would u get an expensive first car when ur most likely going to curb your wheels and wreck it as a beginner.

honda civic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Buy land cruiser model 2006 .

0|0
    0|0
  • Toyota Corolla

make sure you won't kill anyone ;-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Civic touring version

0|0
    0|0
  • Just get a used Range Rover. Never look back.

0|0
    0|0
  • honda, or lexus. the very first car i drove was a honda, and the very first car i own (ed) (still do) is a lexus

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Honda, Nissan, Subaru, anything Small and Economical on gas, @Apple-mango, and Yes... Japanese for sure here, dear.
    However, to be honest, with a Foreign car, the parts are a bit more Expensive but worth it in the Long Run.
    Good luck. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Manual or Automatic?

0|0
    0|0
  • Honda Accord is really good

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a mustang and a truck

0|0
    0|0