How do you tell if you're a good singer?

I've heard you can't really tell just by listening to yourself, because you hear yourself differently than others do. Not sure if that's correct or not. I assume that's why singers wear headphones and ear pieces, so they can hear their voice back and not what's coming out of their mouth if that makes sense? I've noticed it takes about 5 minutes for my voice to warm up and sound decent, but I don't do much singing so I normally don't see how good it will get. A co worker of mine once said that people who can easily change the sound of their voice are usually good singers, after I impersonated the voice of an old lady. Apparently he used to sing. Is that true?

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• No, sorry, that story your coworker told you sounds like bullshit. Anyone can change the pitch of their voice. That doesn't mean they're all good singers.

Being a good singer has to do with a variety of factors. Some of these can't be influenced. For example some people simply have a pretty voice while others do not. If you have an ugly or moderately nice voice... tough luck. You can't do anything about it.
    But there are also a lot of technical factors that you can influence. One important aspect that makes a good singer is that you hit all the correct notes. You should be able to hear a song a few times and then sing it yourself without being too much off. This is something many people struggle with. Many people know how a song SHOULD sound but they're not capable to singing it that way. It's a bit like drawing or painting. You might know what the Mona Lisa looks like but that doesn't mean you can paint something that comes close to the Mona Lisa. Another important factor is rhythm. Some people naturally have a great feeling for rhythm, others are very poor at it. Personally, I was always very good with tones and melodies but I used to suck at rhythm. However, this is also something that can be practiced and learned. I had private classical singing lessons for several years and during this time I improved my feeling for rhythm tremendously. And finally, good singers (and good musicians in general) usually also have a decent knowledge and understanding of music theory. Many of the famous artists from the 1960s (such as the Beatles) went through a classical music education. Most of the modern pop stars don't have that anymore and that's one reason they can't write their own songs. If you know how to transcribe a song to a different harmony or you know the relationship between different tones, it also helps you to be a better singer.

• Good explanation. I can hit the notes and keep the correct rhythm, but I don't really like how my voice sounds all that much, although it does sound better after 5 or 10 minutes.

• Once I felt resonance that is very funny feeling.
    But I think chord did not always run like that.

• You mean like you sing and it feels like your teeth are buzzing?

• Yeah, but not teeth still ear but I check internet a teaching does use the way to tell from

• I watched a youtube video about how you can put something in front of your ears, so you hear what's the noise in the room which is what others hear. I think my voice actually sounded better, it just wasn't as loud.