Question for anyone who knows English as a second language, was it an easy or hard language to learn?

• English is my first language
  • Easy and my native language is a romance or another germanic language
  • Hard and my native language is a romance or another germanic language
  • Easy and my native language is another Indo-European language
  • Hard and my native language is another Indo-European language
  • Easy and my native language is not an Indo-European language
  • Hard and my native language is not an Indo-European language

Most Helpful Guy

• It was easy for me, although, my first language is Slavic (Croatian).

Most Helpful Girl

• I am fluent in English and Spanish (bilingual from birth, although my father strongly emphasized English assimilation).

My "second" languages:
    • professional-level in Italian and French
    • conversational in Tagalog and Haitian Kreyol
    • passably functional in Russian, Khmer, Korean, Japanese, Finnish, Ilokano, Portuguese, and Catalan.
    • I know a few words of Navajo, which I tried to learn as a gift to my grandfather before he passed.
    I might be forgetting a couple "passably functional" ones, LOL.

Some observations:

• Italian, Catalan, Portuguese, and (to a lesser extent) French were pretty easy, because they are so similar to Spanish.

• Becoming passably functional in Tagalog and/or Ilokano is easier than it seems, because most Filipinos these days throw about 40% English words into those languages. (Think of how internet-language contains lots of English words, in most languages... except imagine doing THE WHOLE LANGUAGE like that.)

• My husband has spoken Kreyol since his early childhood, so, picking it up in bits and pieces just kinda... happened.

• Japanese and Korean have VERY few sounds, so they are very easy to understand. This makes them easier to learn.

• Finnish is super complicated, but has almost no words that are "irregular". So, once you are familiar with the crazy variety of Finnish noun and verb cases, there are pretty much no surprises, ever.
    Also, EVERY Finnish word is stressed on the first syllable, always.

• Russian was harder for me to learn to understand -- especially because I learned it from a Russian roommate whose Moscow accent made 3 different vowels sound exactly the same😂😂
    Also, Russian words have irregular stress (like English words -- I want to PRESENT you with a birthday PRESENT). You just have to memorize which syllables get the accents. No other language I've learned (besides English) has that, so, that added a whole layer of difficulty.
    Cyrillic wasn't a problem, surprisingly.

• Khmer is fucking hard. I still can't read it at all, just speak the basics.

• Compared to Navajo, EVERYTHING is easy. Probably even learning to fly with my bare hands.
    My attempt to learn Navajo was a total shit show. There's a REASON this language was an unbreakable code during WWII, kiddies.
    Scroll down to "Navajo" on this page, and behold the hot mess:
    robertlindsay.wordpress.com/.../

• You can speak conversational Tagalog? That's very impressive 👏

• Tx for the MH luv <3

I just realized that my answer has nothing to do with English as a second language... ahhahhah 😂😂😂 But still, the usual flash flood of info that you've probably grown to expect from me lol

• And thanks for the input luv :)

What Guys Said 15

• I can't answer that question in just one sentence ;-).
    My native tongue is Swiss, which is of course also a Germanic language. In that sense, I certainly had a significant advantage compared to speakers of non-Germanic or even non-Indo-European languages when I began learning English. And indeed, the beginning felt like a piece of cake. In Switzerland, we start with mandatory French at age 10 (5th grade) and with mandatory English at age 13 (7th grade). Within 1.5 years or so, I had acquired the same level in English that I had acquired after 3.5 years of French. English was a very "thankful" language to learn because things work pretty similar to how they work in Swiss (both in terms of easy, every-day vocabulary as well as in terms of grammar). Therefore, it was a lot of fun to learn English because the initial progress was huge. After the first year of school English, I was already able to understand Beatles songs and these kind of experiences give you a tremendous motivational boost.

However, like in most languages, the learning curve in English is not linear. While French was super annoying and hard in the beginning and only became enjoyable once I reached a certain level (after about 6-7 years of school French), English was the exact opposite.
    I currently study at grad school with a double major. One of my majors is English linguistics and literature. For obvious reasons, you need to have an extensive knowledge of the English language if you want to pursue this field (both practical knowledge as well as theoretical (linguistic) knowledge). This means that I was forced to dig deeper into the English language than most other second language learners. In fact, I would argue that I probably know more about the English language than even many native speakers (at least when it comes to theoretical knowledge), since I was also required to learn old and middle English for my studies and things like that. One thing I came to understand about English is that it's a freaking tough language. I think of it a bit like a big mountain. Ascending the first few thousand feet is no problem - there might even be a train or a cable car. But once you're very close to the summit, the air becomes very thin, there's snow storms and every inch you progress takes lots of time and energy. English is a beautiful language in my opinion but saying I like to fight myself through the last meters to the summit would be a lie. If you just want to have some fun online or you

• want to go on a summer vacation to the US or England, you won't struggle a lot as Swiss, German, Dutch or Scandinavian person. However if you want to become a linguist, you want to study English on an academic level and you want to be able to understand and interpret various types of English literary works, it takes a lot more than that - especially if you're not a native speaker.

• Easy and my native language is a Romance or another Germanic language.
    But my English teacher was a nitwit. He passed from Chaucer to Thackeray then to the Lake poets, omitting Shakespeare , Dickens and many more. :-P

• Easy for me. Probably because I watched Cartoon Network as a kid all the time.

• it was a little hard but as i grew up watching English cartoons and watching English movies and playing English games i learned English from that

• An absolute piece of cake compared to what my native language is lol

• @phoenix2000, she knows her English is great
    Also I had a girlfriend from Russia and she said it wasn't that bad for her

• My native language is Russian.
    English wasn't hard for me. But I started early and had untranslated Cartoon Network on TV almost 24/7. It's not that I haven't done anything else but watch TV, it's just that it was always on as background noise.

• Pretty much grew up with it.

• My language is Turkic - Altaic language, and no it wasn't hard for me to learn it. Thats because I learned it from online gaming with trying to speak it :D

• English is a very easy language compared to others

• Its easy.
    Just practice, watch shows and movies, talk with others, you will learn with time 👍🏻

• Pretty easy.

• As being an engineer , English was the least of my concerns when I try to study

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 14

• I find English to be an easy language.
    My first language is Hungarian (English is my 3rd language) and we Hungarians are known for having troubles with English. Not me though. 😂
    I need to be honest here, if I weren't to speak Romanian beforehand, English would have been quite difficult to learn.

• Was Romanian hard to learn?

• Romanian is easier than Hungarian (at least in my opinion, many of my schoolmates would disagree with me though 😂), but Hungarian got to be my 1st language because my grandma sent me to a Hungarian group in kindergarten, which made me being surrounded by Hungarians more than hearing my parents talk in Romanian.

• English is one of the easiest langauges in the world. Subjectivley coming from European langauges, but also objectivley English doesn't have a lot of detail that other langauges bother with, such articles of different genders. Generally everything in English is gender neutral, wheres including gender is quite common in other langauges. That alone takes out so much effort out of learning a langauge.

• My first language is English. My husband has told me he found English pretty easy to learn. His first language is Serbian, a Slavic Indo-European language.

• My native language is Montenegrin, and English was not very difficult to learn.

• It is very very easy. Especially compared to other european languages like german, Spanish or italian. As i learnt and speak those three as well.

I am not even talking about how hard chinese, korean, turkish, or russian is compared to English.

• English is my third language and it was easy to learn ^^

• its my third language and it was easy

• English isn't my native language but I'm studying English since 8 I think.
    It was difficult in the beginning bcs my native is albanian and it's completely different accent and everything but then it was super simple. While studying you almost don't understand that you're learning a lot of new words and developing the accent

• It was surprisingly hard for me to learn. Took me years and years.

• It was easy for me.

There is a difference between learning English as a second language, and learning English as a foreign language.

• Was my second language after Russian. It was extremely easy although there were huge differences. I also speak french and it was not hard too. Should be easy if you want to learn.

• My first languages were Urdu and Punjabi (both which were spoken at home, since I was born). My second language was English, which was very easy for me to learn.

• I speak two different types of English: Standard English and Non-Standard English (Jamaican Patois)

• easy I know it since I am 7, my native language is Portuguese