Do you agree with this saying?

"Prostitution exists because women are willing to do it."

• I do
  • I don't
In a survey of prostitution, the majority of prostitutes say their own sexuality, sexual curiosity and money are the main reasons they chose their line of work.
http://sciencenordic.com/what-drives-prostitute

Most Helpful Guy

• Prostitution exists because there is a demand and there is a supply.
    It's just like any other business in the world. If there's a demand and somebody can supply, they will make a business out of it.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Historically prostitutes were often slaves. Even today sex slavery is billion dollar industry.
    It's a buyer driven market. Some men want "cheap" sex and nothing else matters to them

I remember this statistic that from germany saying roughly 80% of women there were trafficked. And then noting that legalising it increased trafficking even though the ration stayed the same, simply because the demand increased. There's money in it obviously. So prostitution exists because some people are willing to hurt and kill others to profit off it

What Guys Said 20

• What's up with all the prostitute questions? I'm sure there's no black and white here. Where women often paid for sex because men (or other women) stood to gain from it sure. Also sex slavery is very common around the world and it sucks, but so does the global affect of capatilism. Women and men if lesser backgrounds and lineage have always been disenfranchised and shit on. Flip side, there are women who enjoy sex and know they can make easy money privately. Not like strippers (when your dad can walk in at anytime lol). Honestly, I don't know why women with high sex drives don't.

• I have my doubts about the saying, there may be women like this but there are very many dark elements involved in the trade.

• I don't agree with it, even in today's times... women and even children are sold into the human trafficking market and often end up working for someone else as prostitutes.

• Pretty sure prostitution is mostly a buyer driven market but I could be wrong lol

• Partially, a lot of it has nothing to do with 'willingness'. More 'forced into'.

• Supply and demand. Both parties play their role in it

• more to do with men willing to pay

• General statements are never true...

• Naa.. A lot of em are pimped out

• Yeah the supply is there but so is the demand, that's also the key

• A lot are also forced into it though by gangs

• Women are one part, but guys keep the demand. Both sexes are to blame.

• well thats a fact

• If they wouldn't, it would be considered rape

• Not necessarily, there are many women being forced against their will to do it.

• In some cases that's true but in others it's not.

• I want to agree but i scare

• I don't.
    In Mexico prostitution is legal because there" a need for it. Cuts down on rape too.

• Sure, it's true.

It's also true that 'prostitution exists because other women aren't willing to do it'.

Did you know in inflation adjusted terms, the wages for prostitutes have fallen significantly over the past 100 years? Competition from free sex is really cutting in on their action.

• no, prostitution exists because it's tax free. girls will prostitute because they know they dont have to claim it as in income, thats why prostitution is illegal. its tax free

What Girls Said 7

• It is definitely a supply and demand market and believe me the demand is higher than the supply.

Many men seek the services of a prostitute (I hate that word) for a need their wives are not willing to fill. For example in my age group not many women will give blowjobs and guys love them. If wifey isn't giving any blowjobs then for many men a prostitute is the way to get the blowjob without having to try to juggle 2 relationships and keep the 2 women from finding out about each other. Anal is another high demand act with prostitutes (did I mention I hate that word). Men are like kittens, they are curious creatures. Most women I know wouldn't even consider letting their man go "in through the out door" but nearly all prostitutes (I cringe every time I have to type that word) have anal on their menu.

A lot of men are simply too busy with their career to have time for dating and relationships but still want to have sex occasionally and again the prostitute is a viable option for him. Guys like that will however seek a higher class prostitute known as a Courtesan or CallGirl. A Courtesan/CallGirl is definitely not the kind of girl you see on a street corner peddling her wares. You could be sitting right next to a Courtesan/CallGirl at lunch, the bar, the movies and never know it. You'd just think she is a very classy and dignified woman of means.

Back to the original question. Yes prostitution exists because women are willing to do it. If women weren't willing to be available for a fee then the men would have to seek out alternative solutions to their problem of not having their sexual needs met. In a time when prostitutes were put to death men sought their sexual gratification in sheep because the demand was there but women weren't willing to risk death to fill the demand.

As to human slavery and child prostitution that's an entirely different scenario and I think those who will sell humans into that kind of life deserve the death penalty. No one should sell or buy humans!

• Not necessarily, I would say that it exists because there's a market for it, and there certainly is various forms of prostitution. There isn't just female prostitution. Hell there's even child prostitutes. It exists because there's a demand that can easily be filled and there are unfortunately people desperate enough to take the cash for it, or whom are forced into it.

• I don't because so many, especially children, are forced into it. :(
    That's why I'm on the fence about prostitution, but I'm aware that there is no protection from laws so they have pimps forcing them.

• I guess to an extent but not all do it willingly.

• Women can be forced into it

• Prostitution is immoral

• Prostitution exists because there's a demand for it.