Am I stupid for leaving school and college for getting married?

I'm 19 years old and i left everything behind to marry the guy that i love so much. My mom said i will regret leaving school and college when i get older but i think she's wrong. I mean i'm my mom did this in the first place.

• You're stupid
  • It depends

Most Helpful Guy

• There is a consensus here for the results that tells you it's a bad idea for you to marry at your current age. There are statistics that shows consistently that almost all marriages that happen before the age of 25 are more than likely to fail and end in divorces. But if it's really what you want to do, no one can tell you otherwise and stop you. Know what you're getting into. Marriage and married life is a big life changing decision. And to make matters worse really think carefully and see how things are actually working out within the first 5-6 years or so after you've been married before deciding to just go ahead and make babies. Because if the marriage does fail, and things go bad, your children would be the ones that end up paying the ultimate price for it. It would really mess up their lives. Also, without a college degree or education you really need some other kind of backup plan to bring income to help support your family. There are other kinds of job and training for trades that you can look into. Do not solely and absolutely rely on your future husband to provide for your family at all times in this economic climate, because if for any reason he loses his job unexpectedly or can't work and can't provide for you and you're kids, then that's going to be a huge problem. If you're already working then you should be fine. There will be lots of adult responsibilities you both will have to share from chores, bills, rent, taxes, etc. Don't expect it to be simple easy fairy tale happily ever after kind of results because that's a complete lie and a made up fantasy.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. You have the right to get married. But once you do settle down do make time to go back to school. Because the work force is not a joke, and unless you have experience and qualifications for better jobs, you won't hardly get anywhere. Just be smart with your choices. You can always go back to school. Don't ever let somebody tell you you will regret it. My late mother married my dad at 19-20. She is thankful that she had me, because she had three miscarriage's and I'm the only daughter out of my two parents. Yes there were things my mom did regret. But my mom was also happy because she had me, when she didn't really had no one else. So who knows. But only you and your future husband can work out. And prove her wrong. Don't make her mistakes. Because I believe your mother is no longer with your father, and she made some really terrible mistakes with him and is still bitter about her choices. But just because she made them, doesn't mean you have to. Just be aware of the consequences of the choices she made and learn those lessons well. So that when you finally have children, you can nurture them and train them well to be responsible loving caring adults. And congratulations with your engagement and upcoming marriage.

What Guys Said 12

• Yeah you are cause if you are patient and wait better things can come especially if you are an attractive girl.

• She forced me to do this 😕 And now blaming me for taking this decision

• What country are you from.

• You are not stupid.
    There have been sucessful people who have gotten married while in college or left college only to return again. The only reason most people voted in this poll as you are stupid is because marriage is not popular nowadays and people dont take relationships seriously.
    Yes some people have failed at it, it doesn't mean you will. You can do well and succeed in your life while married. I know people who have gotten married, had kids and still went back to school.

I wish you the best of luck in your relationship and future career.
    Its you life, fuck everybody else.

• You're very stupid.

But who here hasn't done something stupid for love?

• You're fine

• Yes you are. End of the story. You threw away your education. Your mother is right. You will regret it later.

• Like when i'm in my 30s?

• You can still continue school when you are married. There is no point of leaving it.

• What if something happens and then you guys wants to separate? Have you ever think about that?

• I haven't thought about that but i guess it's too late for school now :/

• It's okay, we all make mistakes in life, the thing is to learn about them, what i would recommend you is, be independent first, that means study and be of a good profession, and then after that be free with your decisions

• You're stupid

1. You let others control your life
    2. You give up school just cuz of marriage. Stupidest reason so far to drop out

• It's not just for marriage. My mom used to control my life and wanted to make me perfect with no mistakes, i wasn't allowed to do many things and when i finally find the one she refused to let me marry him for stupid reasons so i make my own decisions.

• I hope you stay married to him. Sounds like you've never had your own life. Many women like you get older and realize that then leave because they felt they were controlled their whole lives. From their parents house to being married and a husband. No time to explore.

• Trust me, the same thing happened with my parents, they regret it now.

• How?

• Also they got a divorce and that basically added more bills to pay.

• Oh! This is really bad

• Nope. Most of the people who go to college are retarded believe it or not.

• I shit you not. The course I was on held me back so that all the retards could catch up to the level I started at...

And they are indoctrination centers.

• Why don't you
    1- wait until after?
    2- so both?

• You're stupid

What Girls Said 11

• Most people say stupid, but I really do think it depends. These days you'd be lucky to find work at a McDonald's even WITH a degree, so if you're like me and have ALWAYS just hated school, then why bother with four years if you can get your life going now?

• I have everything now but i still don't know if i should study or just leave it especially with my husband's jealousy from guys :/

• You can finish school and get married. You may have to transfer schools or go part time, but it can be done. You'll have way more income potential later on with a college degree. In case you want to work, or your husband can't work because loses his jobs, gets sick, etc., you need to finish your education.

• I guess it's too late for high school now :/

• Depends... Where do you live? If you're in the US, you can get a GED and take courses at a community college. I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but there may be options.

• You should never put all your eggs in one basket. You should always strive to be qualified enough to be able to get jobs and make your own money. You will struggle, possibly til the end of your life if you start life with absolutely nothing and no way to claw back up. You will very likely regret this decision later, but I get why you did it. I get it, but I would say it probably still not the best choice.

• You're probably wrong. But you'll just have to wait and see. Nothing is certain.

• You should have stayed in school.

What career path will you choose without a degree?

How will you help support your family on low income (not saying that a degree justifies a high income), but you get the idea.

How will you be able to face your kids when they find out you didn't go to school?

Education is uber important. Is it too late to go back 😕

• Am i going to be a loser mother for not finishing high school and not going to college? :/

• I don't want to say it like that, but how can you expect your kid to do something you didn't even do?

Its like being hypocritical.

• Depends what you aspire to be job wise.

• Why did you leave college? You do know that you can continue going to school while you are married right? My mom did that...

• I didn't finish last year in high school so i can't go to college anyway :/

• Oh, well there are classes you can take online to get your GED so you can get into college if you like.

• I'd say it's stupid but I don't know your life, maybe you'll regret it, maybe you won't.

• No offense but you're stupid. If the guy really loved you he would have (a) waited for you to finish college or (b) married you in college. You threw away a degree. Who knows how the marriage will turn out. He may leave you but the degree won't.

• He didn't ask me to leave school or something! i to runaway from my mom who's trying to make perfect and not to make any mistakes and try to control my life :/

• Maybe she's right she does love you after all. Waiting to get married isn't the worst thing- if your love remains that's how it was meant to be it will be even stronger when you marry; if it doesn't, then you're love was not strong to begin with. Can you re enroll in college?

• You don't have to quite school to get married. I know lots of college students who are married.

• You can do what you want with your life but I agree with your mom. School is MUCH harder to do when you're older. When you're older you'll have more responsibilities and less time to do them all in a single day. Throw kids in the mix and you are looking at a really stressful time later in life. It would also take longer to get your degree finished because school will conflict with every day adult situations that you CANNOT ignore.

As a young person you can make more sacrifices to get things done because it's only temporary and you have the energy to do it, but when you're older you'll have a lot more baggage to drag around with you. You're going to be so, so tired if you wait until your older. Your body changes, your health changes, your tolerance level changes, your patience and attention span for things in every day life will shift as you age. Also when you're out of school for a long time, you forget all those useless facts because you haven't needed them in forever. Going back to it after so many years can be intimidating because you recognize things but you don't remember the details anymore.

You're young and in love and that's a huge leap in life. I'm happy for you. But do understand, everything decision you make at this part of your life is going to be what shapes your future by the time you're my age. High school was just a preview. Real life is now. Putting off school sounds great at the moment but there will be a day when you're older and think, damn why didn't I?