Do you sometimes throw in words from a different language for fun when you talk to your girlfriend/boyfriend, best friends, family members etc?

I wonder if anyone else does this too. When I casually talk to people I know well, I love to throw in some words from a foreign language. For example when I fool around with my girlfriend, we both love to throw in some Japanese words and phrases. Our Japanese is very basic but it's still lots of fun. We would say stuff like "Aaaah! So desu-ka?" ("Ah, is that really so?") when the other person says something interesting or "ganbatte kudasai!" (approx. "don't give up!") when the other person struggles with something or "wakarimasen..." ("I don't understand...") when we're confused or of course "sumimasen!" ("I'm sorry!"), if we did something stupid (along with a 90 degrees bow ;-)). When I casually talk to my big brother, he and I like to throw in some Arabic words. Again, neither of us actually speaks Arabic, except from the few words we've picked up on the street. One such word is "yallah!" (let's go!"). Another phrase I particularly like is "inshallah" ("if god wills it"). This fits literally everywhere. Say my mom nags me about something she wants me to get done, I just sigh and say "inshallah" ("maybe I'll do it, if god will allow it" ;-)). Finally, one Swedish phrase I like to throw in everywhere is "Det är trevligt!" ("That's great!"). I just really like the sound of this one.

So do you guys do this too? And if yes, with who do you do it and what kind of words/phrases do you like to throw in?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I just did it right now in my brain. About the hair stroking question, I forgot what softly stroke was in English so I said salaah which is somali for stroking softly. I also do that with arabic, I say inshallah (if god wills) whenever I mean no 😂. And french "c'est la vie" and "de ja vu" typical ones.

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutement
    Si
    Claro

Some words just sound cooler, some times I just don't remember the equivalent word in my language, and sometimes it's on purpose cause the translated word doesn't quite mean the same in my language. I'm sure there is an equivalent, but it's sometimes weird. Especially with feelings and technological words

What Girls Said 3

• Yeah i do! Since English isn't my native language i often throw in some random English here and there when i talk with friends and family

• may have to try this for fun. normally don't speak them to only English speakers but think I'm gonna

• You should, it can be a lot of fun ;-). If you're American, one language that would be easy to pick up some words is probably Spanish because depending on where you live in the US, you would hear a lot of Spanish spoken by young people on the street...

• i speak italian some arabic porteguese and suck at Spanish rn lol

• I love yallah lol, and wallahi

What Guys Said 6

• I do it but *not* for fun. It's an accident always.

I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between English (work and just internet fun like on this site) and speaking Japanese with friends and my wife (though my wife also speaks English which makes it so we kind of arbitrarily choose which language to speak depending on mood).

So I tend to slip words and sounds from the other language often by mistake.

One of the most common ones is that I'll say "ummmm" while thinking of what to say to Japanese people instead of "eeeeeto...". Another is that I have a tendency to say "ne" while speaking to English speakers.

• In my case I really don't know which language I'm more fluent in. I think I speak Japanese better with less of an accent since it's my first language. But I'm better at reading and writing in English. I'm all culturally and lingually confused being half and having lived in both countries for an equal duration of my life.

• Not so much. It's there where I think I'm not that fluent in Japanese since I'm not used to reading and writing it so much.

Because I went to high school and university and some parts of junior high in the U. S. (other is Singapore in a British school -- and that's another source of confusion for me -- British English and American English), I'm not very literate in Japanese kanji. And I'm not used to texting so much in Japan and don't have the kind of internet slang common there.

It's all very confusing. :-D

• Also in the U. S. my Japanese mannerisms often got me in trouble. For example, in Junior High School, some kid wrote my name on a desk.

The teacher then got angry and asked me if I did it, and I bowed and looked down and said "No, but I'm very sorry".

Then she thought I must definitely be guilty because I was looking down, wasn't making eye contact, and apologizing.

So then I had to try to forcefully get over that and my mannerisms and body language as well are bastardized between an American and Japanese. I'm kind of misfit no matter where I go.

• Sometimes I do this to get someone to change the subject. They have to ask what my words meant, and that breaks the thread of their ranting.

Or, to get someone's attention

• Quite often.
    We sometimes even switch languages during a conversation, even a short one.

• So you're basically a weeaboo.

• No, not really. I like Japanese culture and mentality (Swiss people and Japanese people can be pretty similar in terms of mentality, so we feel sort of connected) but like I wrote in my question, I also use words and phrases from other languages such as Arabic, Swedish or also French (and French is a language I actually speak very well compared to the other ones). I just enjoy playing around with foreign languages.

• meh. yala habibi is the best arab phrase atm.

• No that's just dumb

• Why dumb? What's dumb about playing around with different languages?

• I don't mean by using languages but playing languages to throw it around , makes it confusing