Why do all American feel like the live on the top of the world?

I've seen some questions and americans act like they are the best or sth but here's what i think about america:
1) you're not safe
2) people are lazy and ignorant and selfish
3) there's so much racism there
4) you have killed a huge percentage of your native people and basically most white people have european roots (read some history)
5) you have a kinda shallow culture (soronity parties, pop etc)

So can someone explain me why americans feel like they're on top of the world when they're not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Why do non-Americans think they know everything about America?
    Don't tell people to read some history when you got your history wrong.

I'm European, living in America for 3 year now, and America is MUCH different than what you see on TV. Stop being so gullible.

• I agree with you that America is very different from what you see on TV. However, I have lived in the US for 2 years myself and... let's be honest about it: some clich├ęs are true. For example American culture/mentality can be quite shallow. For example a lot of people pretend to care about you and they're all cheerful and sweet and they say stuff like "I love you" but when you actually need them, most of them won't give a rat's ass.
      Also, I don't have any data to back up whether America has more racism than other countries but one thing that is clear is that American society is insanely hung up on race. We have problems with extremist muslims here in Europe but I don't think we speak about them even one tenth of the amount that Americans speak about other races and race relationships and race in general.

• @BlueCoyote Every society, especially Western society is shallow. It's not just an American thing.
      You're right on what you said about race, but that doesn't mean Americans are racist, the thing is that there's no country as diverse as America, that's gonna bring up some differences. I have a friend who went to Switzerland and he told me people are very racist and fascist over there, unless you have money. From what I've heard from people in the Scandinavian countries, there's lots of racists too. Go to Africa as a white person, and you'll encounter a lot of racism.
      The reason why you hear about it a lot in the US is because there's a big variety of people. No one's gonna listen to the 2 black people in Finland (hyperbole).
      Also, the reason why you hear about it a lot here is because the issue is still kinda sensitive, but in reality, most people aren't racist, and actually the most racists you'll encounter are minorities.

• Well, there is one huge difference however and that is institutionalized racism. America has a HUGE amount of institutionalized racism and that's something we absolutely do not have in Switzerland (and I doubt they have it in Scandinavia). My girlfriend is a foreigner (and of a different race) and she never encountered any problems because of that. Our police doesn't do random stop and frisk people because they have a different ethnicity. We also don't have stuff like higher jail sentences for the same crime if you're black or a much higher chance to fall into poverty if you're black.

Also, I would love to hear what exactly your friend experienced because I can't remember ever having experienced racism here in Switzerland. We have racist politicians but people on the street are very friendly to each other (also we usually don't stick our noses into each other's business like in America but we like to keep to ourselves). And we CERTAINLY don't have fascism.

Most Helpful Girl

• We are taught to think we are safe etc. and honestly for the most part it's pretty safe outside of the major cities. America doesn't equal New York and Miami and Los Angeles.
    Yes there's racism, but that's not specific to America. Yes many people are lazy and selfish, but that's not an American thing either. The ignorance thing - again, we're taught a lot more about our own country than we are about others, and we sort of gloss over what was done to the Native Americans and others. I'm not making excuses by the way, just explaining.

That said - that's only one part of the American public. "The public" in almost any country tends to be a mix of less-than-educated, it's not just America. And there are plenty of educated, non-lazy, etc. people in this country who are very aware of the problems. So it's a mix.

I think America's economic and cultural influence allows its people to be complacent about the rest of the world - I don't think it's right but it's how it is.

Basically - people who act that way seem to do so out of both ignorance and lack of perspective.

What Guys Said 26

• 1) find me one nation where the people are "safe." it doesn't exist. the risk of crime, or external forces, exists for everyone.
    2) true everywhere. when we have a population of 330 million people, makes sense we would have a sizable population of idiots. we also have a sizable population of geniuses.
    3) there is racism everywhere in the world were two races meet. you want to experience REAL racism? Be a Korean living in Japan. Or a white person in Zimbabwe.
    4) people like to pretend no one else ever invaded anyone else. like to pretend no one else, historically, left bodies of the people they invaded in their wake. like to pretend the natives knew neither war, nor even death, before we came. get over it. And what is your point about whites? of course we are European. So the fuck what?
    5) Show me a culture that does not have shallow aspects.

"So can someone explain me why americans feel like they're on top of the world when they're not?"
    our flag is on the moon.

• I am not American but I understand what is going on a bit. I find that in American self affirmation is encouraged, it is not a bad thing just that it can seem a bit braggish but it is just their natural state. The same way several other countries have traits that seem different often strange to other countries.

• 1) I've never felt unsafe and have rarely been a victim of a crime.

2) We're in the top 20 for most hours worked annually. We're a post industrial nation, so we should be able to work far less than we do but Americans hustle like a motherfucker. Everyone I have talked to who has moved to America has complained about how everything is so fast paced, competitive, and how we are overworked... lol

3) No really. It exists to some extent. In some places it's far worse than others, but in most places it's a non issue. But there are always people immigrating to America that are on the bottom of the pile. Yesterday's Irishman is today's Mexican.

4) I haven't had to kill anyone yet. I'm sure the same is true for the majority of Americans.

5) Is that what you think our culture is? You sound like an ignorant person that has no exposure to the world in general.

• 1) I live in a nice and safe town with great people and artists all around.
    2) Unfortunately you can find people that are lazy, ignorant, and selfish in any country. The media just likes to follow those types around. The rest of us try to enjoy life and travel.
    3) Racism is everywhere, just ask the Aborigines. While racism does exist, it's not as rampant as the media makes out. The news does love following idiots.
    4) This portion of the list is sadly true. Genocide has happened in many places, and the US pushed the indigenous population to the brink of extinction. My roots are mainly European, South American, Caribbean, and very small percentage of Native American. I was born here, with a rag-tag mix of DNA that makes me uniquely myself. While I can't change the past, I can move forward with compassion and humility to the future.
    5) I've never been to sorority party. Or a fraternity party. Or a pop sorority fraternity party. I like going to see live bands around town, hanging with friends, or reading random things online such as now.

In all, I can say that I feel the US has many things that are good and bad. It depends on how to look at things. I don't feel superior to any other culture. Last year I had a great time in Western and Eastern Europe, and enjoyed meeting and learning about the places I was.

I would like to ask you where your negativity comes from? Are you getting the majority of your information from the television and big media? Have you traveled to the US, explored, and met the people you accuse?

If you are living in a country that the US has caused problems with (the list is long I know... ), please know that a large part of the population does not agree with the government's choices. Governments everywhere tend to do the opposite of what the people want.

I hope you dig a little deeper and find the good people that are here, their culture, and the excitement we have in meeting those different than we.

• On top of the world? I have never thought that I was at the North Pole.

• All of the above, with the exception of number 4, could be said about any number of European countries.

Noting that Asker has not disclosed what wonderful utopian paradise they hail from.

• Why is everyone obsessed with us? Oh probably because we have one of the best and developed systems in the world. Stay Mirin

• Or maybe for the simple fact that no other country exports so much of its culture to the global community.
      I think this idea that people talk a lot about America because America has a great system is quite faulty. Norway or Sweden also have great systems (in fact, better ones than the US as I would argue), yet nobody ever talks about them. On the other hand, lots of young people are obsessed with Korea and Japan for the simple fact that just like America, they are very good at exporting their pop culture. However, if you actually look at life quality in these countries, you might start to question your obsession. I have lived in South Korea and while I find it a very fascinating country in many respects, I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life there. Especially school and work life is absolutely no fun in Korea or Japan.
      Plus, contrary to Korea or Japan, America is also a political and military super power, which is another reason people talk a lot about it.

• @asker
    1. Who do you feel us on top?
    2. For the country/people that you selected as your answer in Question 1, why is that your answer?

• That's because they were on top of the world from WW2 all the way to George W Bush.

Many of us still want them to be the best again, but that's looking increasingly unlikely as each year passes.

• Because the level of patriotism attached to pop culture. Mix that with the fact we are 34th ranked worldwide in the IQ dept. Look up American Exeptionalism.

• Well my country is 15th in the IQ Dept but that doesn't mean anything

• Doesn't make a noticeable impact. Every thing causes a ripple. From a grain of sand to the meteor. Unless your a sociologist you wouldn't know. There ate theories to show how IQ affects countries.

• i've lived in somalia and the US for nearly equal amounts of time. in my opinion, my life is more happy and meaningful in somalia. it's more dangerous, sure. but the beaches are enough to make me die happy. planning to permanently move to berbera when my girl finishes her degree.

• It's quite simple really... it's because...
    https://youtu.be/jXrh8rQWDxg

• Well, they're the only super power in the modern world.

• Because Murica, that's why.

• We usually don't.

• its a racially divided country with shit gun control and a lot of psycho people.

• It's a Freedom thing, you wouldn't understand

• What freedom?

• @mntwins66 No.

Let's put it this way, if every country that has freedom has more freedom than America, then what would you call American freedom other than bullshit freedom?

• @Tarvold Freedom is freedom. I'm free to do things. The freedom that I have isn't bullshit, it's still freedom.

• Yea Americans do that, it's so short sighted
    But the USA is no1 country

• Believe what you want, I personally do care what random people on the internet say.

• Sounds like you're jelly of our freedom OP

• Not everybody

• cuz for the most part they are relatively happy I think.

• Because America is the best god damn country ever created by God

• Yeah that is now fucked

• No it's not long as DJT is the next president.

• Back to back world war champions hello?

• Russians did the fighting in the world wars. America just swooped in at the end and collected the prizes.

• @Waffles731 Fair enough. I'll take that.

But you've got to admit, as effective as America was at ending the Japanese, it really was Germany's stupidity of attacking Russia in winter, and the Brits breaking enigma that won that side of the war.

• @Tarvold I already did

• Do you think you can argue with Americans? They will start telling you about their "freedom" shit.

"You will never have the freedom we have, retard." (The "retard" with heavy thick American accent.)

That's the most common answer you will get from Muricans.

• because americans seem to be very obnoxious, cocky, conceited, self centered people.. they think their shit doesn't stink

What Girls Said 12

• 1. There's lots of places where people "aren't safe"
    2. There a lazy, ignorant, selfish people all over the world
    3. There's racism all over the world
    4. Nobody's history is clean
    5. Stop generalizing based off shit you've seen on TV
    No country is perfect, so who are you to tell people how they should feel about their home, esp. if you don't even live there? Please take several seats

• Maybe i dont live there but i have relatives there so it's kinda the same

• There's terrorist attacks in Europe every day now and you have the gall to critize Americans "safety" when France prime minister stated that they had to learn to live with terrorism? get out

• Amd how the hell do you know that im european cauz im not AND in Europe they have terrorism from foreign people and in US your police kills you
      Drops mic

• @mntwins66 besides, your most likely the catfish himself using an alt account or a friend of his.

• @unpleasentruth I guess if you won't believe facts, then there's nothing I can do to get into your thick skull. Too bad there's no way to find my IP address and hers. That would disprove this bullshit.

• See usually I'd agree, but you sound sort of bitter and sort of like you think you are much better. Go unanon if you are sooooo great OP, I dare you.

• Honey we're safer than anyone in Europe or Middle East. And why are we ignorant? And there is no racism? You're just jealous you can't be here. Everything you said is BS.

• lol there's no racism... thats funny... i can't even wake up anymore without seeing news of a mass murder in your country... how safe are you really?

• mean to hate on America but claiming that you're safer than in Europe is simply wrong and it can easily be disproven. America has a higher rape rate than most western European countries, it has a higher STD rate than most western European country and it has a significantly higher homicide rate than most European countries.

• @BlueCoyote Direct hit.. Everything you said is true. the sensationalist media is doing a disservice to people. it is a shame.

• 0|2
    • Actually that's not a reason..

• That's a sweeping generalization and honestly, this sounds more like how you view white Americans, not Americans in general.

• we can always count on you to interject skin color

• @Table20 'you have killed a huge percentage of your native people and basically most white people have european roots (read some history)'

Yeah, I was totally the one who interjected race.

• *i* killed people? who did i kill?

• Why do you give a shit?

• I agree with the culture part, it is like they are ashamed of their real culture

• yeah? now look at who's being ethnocentric lmao

• All Americans is a great generalization that makes accurate assumptions, since you know every and all Americans. I've lived in various countries, and each has it's pros and cons.

• Yep, you are so right, they are very arrogant people.

• You all need to look up something called a GPI (Global Peace Index).
      News flash. People die. Especially when they do it for a guy in the sky. This is going to keep happening, as it has been happening off and on since the fucking Crusades. It has nothing to do with citizens, ir a flag, or a particular type if government. It's about oil and maintaining the U. S. dollar as one of the most influential currencies in the world, and if the UAE manages to stabilize without the U. S. then they can rebuild around crude oil. in my opinion.

• Don't whine about being sleepy like a child, just take your ass to bed.

• @NoFcks2Give LOL, right...