Can you please explain me this sentence (native English speakers please help me 💜😊) ?

The sentence :
"Rob's making some bold claims that Feifei can't taking seriously."
why do we say Feifei can't taking seriously shouldn't we use "take" there instead of using "taking"

Most Helpful Girl

• I would reword it as:
    "Rob's making the bold claim that Feifei can't take him seriously."

Speaking English is much easier than writing it, and as someone who teaches it, i can understand the challenges of it.

This sentence is written in the present tense, which means it's happening now. "taking seriously" on it's own doesn't make sense. so i ask myself, who or what am i taking seriously?

i am taking HIM or HER seriously. when i take someone seriously, that means that the words they say are considered important to me and they have my attention.

sorry if i over explained.

Most Helpful Guy

• The sentence is grammatically incorrect.

The natural reading is, "Feifei can't take seriously."

It is correct, but awkward to say, "Feifei can't be taking seriously."

• English is a hard language, so don't feel bad. It is hard because it is a jumbled mix of so many other languages.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah that sentence doesn't sound right

• yes, if you have to use can't in that sentence, but if you change can't to isn't it would be correct

What Guys Said 4

• "Taking" should go there, it doesn't make sense. I don't know what they're trying to say, but I guess they meant "Feifei can't be taken seriously".

• "Can't taking" makes no sense at all. It's not correct.

• You are correct. "Taking" makes no sense here.

• "that feifei can't take seriously" is correct. "taking" makes no sense there

you should also remember that you don't have to be a native English speaker to speak it proficiently.