How do I tell my parents that I've become a Muslim?

I am ready to commit myself to this religion and do everything I can to uphold the five pillars of Islam. I still have a lot to learn, but that will come with time.

My main concern is my parents, I have no idea how to tell them or how they will react. I'm just afraid that they will look at me with pity and disgust. I want to start wearing the hijab and stop eating pork but my parents are catholic!!! Although I was raised Catholic, I've always been a Muslim at heart.
I have been an atheist my whole life until this point. I'm posting anon because I don't want to be bombarded with PMs.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think your parents will get upset so long as you aren't planning a trip to Syria or Iraq! Siam recognizes Christianity as a related religion, accepts Christian figures as prophets...

What Guys Said 13

• You are 'ready' to become a Muslim, you aren't 'yet' a Muslim. Just tell them. If you are an adult, the religion you follow is YOUR choice alone. They can't object.

• i think you just have to tell them

religion is personal thing and while they may be disappointed (or they may not be) it really isn't up to them. your religion doesn't or shouldn't determine whether or not you are a good person. being muslim doesn't mean you are going to suddenly become a awful human... hopefully they can understand that

• Well the only thing you can say to them is that you are ready to pick up arms against Christains. Islam is not a religion of piece it states clearly that every one must convert even though forceful means. The true followers of islam are the radical terrorists who follow it to the letter and are being garenteed a spot in heaven for themselves for the virgins and for their family members. If you don't believe me read the whole Koran all the way through without looking at it as your religion or a religion of piece. I would get you the references for the verses that I described but I don't have time to do so now. However do talk to your parents about it but say that your looking into it and would like to learn more about it. Don't hurt them by saying that your betraying their faith and them for another religion that is the sworn enemy of theirs.

• True while they are a small group of them they are following the koron to the letter. The peaceful ones have denounced part of the moron to be peaceful. You cannot only believe part of a religion and reject parts of your holy scriptures.

• christians do it. jews do it. almost every religion does this. they choose to accept the parts of their religious texts that fit in with their personal beliefs. hence there are christians who can support LGBT rights, or don't believe in slavery or that women are a possession. or jews that eat pork and don't keep kosher.

you isolate Islam as if its the only religion that...
      every religion has its zealots, its radicals, conservatives, its orthodox, its liberal members

• Have you actually converted to a muslim? have you actually become one?

• Well tell them that you was searching for the truth and you found it and this is what you want with your life and so
    They should accept you darling

And if you wanted any question about Islam at all I am a scholar you can ask me

• Its ur choice ur life. Everyone has to respect about ur decision especially ur parents. by the way if u got any question I can help u as a Muslim

• Tell them this when are completely independent of your parents , they won't do anything against u. I am too. 😊 ask me any query if u have regarding the religion

• im really proud of you, may Allah give you more success and ease in your life. and may Allah reward you for this in this life or in after life.

• Sit with them, explain them what appeals u in Islam.
    keep in mind, Islam strictly emphasize on respecting parents. Always stay polite and respectful with them no matter how much they oppose u.

• Try this guy :Yusuf estes on you tube
    He used to be Catholic priest , he has a nice way with Catholics, he can speak their language

• I'm not showing you this vid in the sake of debating with your parents
      I am only showing it to you to get his way with talking with Catholics, he's so friendly he's like common we are almost the same, he focuses on the similarities

https://youtu.be/iHFgcRGIrH0

Ali when dealing with your parents you must keep in mind this :

http://quran.com/31:15

But if they endeavor to make you associate with Me that of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them but accompany them in [this] world with appropriate kindness and follow the way of those who turn back to Me [in repentance]. Then to Me will be your return, and I will inform you about what you used to do.

And your mom your mom your mom

• If you were my daughter, you would be disowned.

• definitely yes

• Bad move especially with whats happening in Orlando and Nice. Though I'm sure they take solace in the fact that impressionable young girls like you are converting without them having to fire a shot

What Girls Said 9

• A few years back, I traveled over to Egypt To... Marry a muslim. However, being aChristian, I never told my own parents that I wad doing any of this.
    I did end up calling them while I was abroad, but they had no ides until my second trip, that we had tied the knot. They were not too upset, although they did ask me "Why couldn't you have Married an American?"
    Your parents will just have to either Learn to Accept you for your own Decision or Forever have problems with you over this. There is Only going to be Two choices here, dear.
    However, I never gave up Jesus in my own Life. My husband and I accepted one Another's God and This was never an issue. The problem we Did have, was Me returning to him and living in Egypt.
    I believe for now, Silence is Golden. First, get Used to what you are doing as a Muslim and see if you want to Continue... Being a Muslim. Worry about your parents later on as time goes on.
    Being in a Muslim family, residing with them, was not always easy for me. They expected a lot from me, and along with abiding, some of the "Real me" came out once in Awhile where everyone did give me a "Smile."
    Good luck. xx

• My question is what does islam have to offer that catholicism did not? Then ill go from there.

I ask this because I've found that most people who convert have their intentions mixed up.

• True with Christianity your already saved by God's grace all you have to do is believe. With Islam the only way garenteed to get on alas good side and get into heaven is marderdom. In other words to truly follow the koran you would want to go to war with Christians and forcibly convert them. If you believe in something you have to follow all of its rules and verses.

• @Dimmu lmao alright dude. Im not gonna bother, but i will say that the context u speak of makes no sense. Thank u for ur input.

• But I showed all the context

• Don't do it until you can provide for yourself. If you can't take care of yourself, don't shoot yourself in the foot.

• Just tell ur parents really carefully.
    How do ur parents see muslims?
    You can also make a casual relaxed convo while watching news on tv with ur mom and dad , saying "... i think islam is a good religion.. but unfortunately many extrimists...(please continue.. and give some of ur thoughts about islam and then see their response)"

But i would like to know what is the main reason u fall in love with islam.

By the way, i used to learn and pray like a christian/catholic.. and finally chose buddhism. This is very interesting to discuss actually. How you somehow have ur own common sense and determine what belief you think is suitable with ur common sense. 😀

• My dad is an engineer and a lot of his coworkers are Muslims. My dad hates how ritualistic they are. My mom thinks Islam is a cancer and the most barbaric religion on the planet!!!

• What makes u fall in love with islam?

• My best friend is a devout muslim. I've always wanted to be like her. She never smokes, drinks, parties, or dresses provocatively to attract male attention.

• Main thing is you are honoust and explain them why you did it. Their greatest fear might be that you are becoming extremist, so its important to show that that is certainly not the case and your feelings towards the religion are true

• Well why did you become Muslim? Explain that to them. You found the religion that fits you better and I personally think that you should just be open about your life choices with your parents they love you.
    I'm happy that you found your faith somewhere good luck :D

• My parents look towards Muslims like they're one of our own, they're people like us.
    But some people will look at Muslims as bad people, because of all the ISIS stuff. I think that if your parents are like mine, you should be able to tell them :)

• I just converted from Islam to Christianity. I find more peace and love among the Christian community. I have another two Muslim friends who are doubting Islam just like I was. I'll pray to God that He'll open their heart but I guess he already did as they followed me to church plenty of times.

• Very interesting.

I was born as Muslim and converted to Catholism im my 17mvI really am curious. What did you see in Islam which I didn't see? And what did I see in Catholism which you didn't see :/

Anyway I hope they will understand.

• O can you two do that as a mytake? I would love to read that discussion!

• @Dim_121 well it shows that every one has different opinion :/
      I think catholism is the right choice. 7 years ago I converted to christianity but not as a catholic as a protestant. But for 5 years i am catholic and never give up. This is my belief. And i couldn't understand a catholic-born wants to convert to islam. That means we both miss something. Anyway everyone be happy his own mind! :)