GAG'ers, can you enjoy "close to home" vacations?

Many of us really need to travel to exotic destinations during their summer holidays.
Others, like me, can also enjoy close to home holidays, like the coast of your own country or state.
Or a region with beautiful nature where you can do hiking, bike riding or visit some nice town.
I can certainly enjoy that, excotic travel is not a must for me.
How about you?

• I love a close to home vacation
  • I can enjoy it but not during my summer holiday
  • Not against but I prefer seeing the world.
  • No way, I need to get out of this country :o
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• They're the only ones I can afford :) only been abroad twice, one of those times was to visit family. I go on holiday every few years and it's usually £500 or less.

• Don't feel shy, as long as you're in a calm environment, you'll relax and it does the job :D

• MH is all yours... enjoy the next close to home holiday :D
      Make it Belgium, coffee is on me :D

• Haha excellent!!

Most Helpful Guy

• I rather go somewhere where me and the people living in the area are exotic to each other. The ultimate goal is to get my "passport tatted up" but any kind of trip is welcomed though. Just getting lost on the other side of my city felt good cause I got to see some new places and people :D

• Yeah I have that too, I often hike from home and even than I sometimes see places where I've never been :D

• Got stress sending an SOS lol nice

• An SOS? What happened? Mayday, mayday, mayday? :o

What Girls Said 17

• I've never been anywhere. But close to home vacations are really nice! Not everyone can afford or is able to go abroad.

• They're nice for sure, as long as it's a different environment, even 30 mi from home, it relaxes you :D

That's for sure! I usually go to the beach, or a nearby city. Typically I just go shopping. Maybe one day I will take a trip somewhere. But I'm afraid to travel alone. And I don't currently have anyone I can travel with. None of my friends have money or can travel with me, as they have obligations (kids, spouses).

Yeah indeed, like in so many things having "a running mate" (to do things together) is really nice :D also for support in hard moments :D

• Me and my boyfriend go camping a few times a year to a lovely place about an hour and a half away, we usually go away somewhere further away and don't camp but get self catering or a hotel, but still in the UK.

This is the view from where we go camping, it's a beautiful spot... no need to go any further most of the time :)

http://i68.tinypic.com/2gy6804.jpg

• Absolutely agree! I'm a little jealous :D

• It's beautiful up there, and so peaceful until the schools break up :(

• Haha yeah playing kids have their charms but they can be a little loud sometimes :o :D

• I like both. I love doing weekends away either camping in the summer or snowboarding in the winter. But I like taking longer vacations abroad or far across the country.

• Where I live, there is a lot right in my back yard, like within a 5 hour drive.

• I haven't been to Norway- it's on my list though! A friend just got back from there and said it was beautiful

• Oh yeah, the fjords... girl that's like heaven! If you can afford, the most beautiful way of going there is by boat. It was the most expensive holiday I ever did and certainly not one I could afford to do regularly :o

• I don't mind them at all. It's nice to get away at all.

• Sure it is, the birds and the bees don't need to fly on another continent :D

• Definitely. A lot of Aussies rent beach houses for summer, or travel interstate. For those that don't live in Melbourne and Sydney, they're popular as well.

• Yeah, on the other side of the globe, in Belgium, travel to the beach is popular as well :D
      That is, if the weather is nice... which in many parts of Australia will be more probable when on the 51st degree of latitude. Lots of rain coming from over the Atlantic :o

• Why would I need to travel I have it all right here. As a matter a fact this is a holiday destination for many people from the U. S. & other parts of Canada.

• Yeah, the landscape you live in is not comparable to Belgium :D
      Although I can do some walking here, all around me for hundreds of km there are houses, roads, railways, cities, towns and business areas!

• Yes, I enjoy traveling around new spots of my town. Or even the next town over. I don't need to go far to have a good time (although I do enjoy to travel if I am able).

• I don't mind that

• Enjoy them :D
      I also learned that in the USA "close" means something else than in Europe haha :D
      Here close is like max 2.5 hours driving. In the USA that would probably take you to the shop and back :o

• I feel like holidays are a waste of money tbh

• I must say that over the last 4 years I haven't gone either... and as long as I can have my 2 weeks off from work I'm okay :D

• Yessss. My parents have a summer home which is about an hour away from home, during the week I gotta stay back for college and work -_- but when the weekends come 😅😅😅 I love it there.

• Well ideally I like to visit my folks back in México when I go on holiday.

• Yeah seeing family back and hugging them for minutes is one of the nicest things to look forward to :D

• i think it's nice to take a trip to a nearby place. i am interested in travelling overseas as well.

• I love it.
    There's nothing like national tourism when you live abroad.

• Haha I see... do you live in France or are you French?

• I have done those a few times. They are nice, especially when I used to live on an island :)

• I live in Bristol and my Dad often books holidays at Burnham on Sea. It's not too far away or too close I don't think. Usually just takes a train or 2 and a long walk if we can't get a taxi to get to the Haven bit.

Sometimes the shops can be a bit expensive but we have fun - My Dad often books a good quality caravan, me and my brother pick what rooms we want, everybody gets settled in and then we go to the Mash and Barrel for some food. The sell Slush Puppies too so I often decide to be a kid and get one, there's a complex with different games in too - Grabber machines both toy ones and candy ones (although I'd recommend just going on the candy ones as no one seems to win any of the toys), 2p pushers which I am practically addicted to, a stimulator, dance games, bowling and others (I forget all as I mostly stick to the 2p pushers and candy grabber).

There's entertainment at the pub in the evening, sometimes they have games like "What's in the box" and whoever guesses correctly wins a bottle of cheap champagne. Sometimes though, the entertainments so rubbish it's just funny and that can be entertaining in itself - It's so bad it's good.

On the 2nd day we're there we go into the shops in town, one of my favourites is a place called the market which sells relatively cheap, but nice looking clothes. It sells knock-off perfumes too but they do smell nice - I've got a bottle of "Fantastic" which is a Britney Spears "Fantasy" knock off. I've never smelled the original but the one I've got smells like candy floss and is actually one of my favourite perfumes despite also having proper brand ones.

We also order a Papa Johns Pizza to share on the 2nd day. On the 3rd, my parents sometimes go to play golf while me and my brother just hang around in the complex or I'll be a kid and play on a swing at the park.

On the 4th and last day we're there, we go to the shops in town again and order food in a pub called The Railway.

There's other stuff too like different complexes we go in there, renting Go Karts, walking along the beach eating ice cream and other stuff too.

I know it's nothing super exciting or like a "dream holiday" or whatever, but we have fun and I always look forward to going there :)

• Yeah most share your opinion: close to home vacations are an escape from our everyday routine and we love them :D

• True :)

• Yes but exotic get aways are still the best

• They probably are... but a little expensive so in terms of value for money the close to home holidays are maybe a better choice. Difficult choice haha :D

• Yes, because of my medical issues I am unable to travel far and for long periods of time. I enjoy going out and exploring new parts of town for a few hours. That is a nice vacation for me.

• It's nice that you can have those, in life you sometimes have to make the best out of things :D

• Oh yeah, and there's a ton to see and explore. It's all good! :D

What Guys Said 14

• The things is, I'm from Switzerland. Just like your country Belgium, Switzerland is a very small country. However, contrary to Belgium, we don't even have a coast because we're landlocked. So there's only so much you can do here. About 40% of the Swiss territory is occupied by the Alps. They're awesome for skiing and many Swiss people love them but personally, I'm not a big fan of the mountains. As for other cities in my country... I can just hop on a train and do a little day trip around the country. I think I'd become kind of bored if I had to stay in another city of Switzerland for a week or more as tourist. The thing about Switzerland is that it's an awesome country for living - but it's not so fun for travelers. We don't have tons of sightseeing places you could go to and most of the cities are pretty small.
    And finally, Switzerland is also an awfully expensive country. If I stayed at a 3-star hotel in a Swiss city, I'd easily spend 80-90 Euros a night.

Therefore, I prefer going on vacation in other countries. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be super exotic. I don't need to go to the Seychelles or New Zealand to have fun. I also love traveling around in Europe, including my neighboring countries. For example I've done trips to Germany, France and Italy with my girlfriend. And I've gone backpacking in the UK and in Finland with some good friends. Traveling in Europe is cool because it's easy and doesn't cost a lot. For example if I want to go to Paris, I can just hop on the TGV and I'm there in 4 1/2 hours. That's pretty cool.
    One thing I've been wanting to do for a very long time now is to go on a big Scandinavia trip, including Denmark, Sweden, Norway and possibly Iceland and the Faroe Islands. That would be awesome.
    I also enjoy discovering new places in my own country but I prefer to just do this in small one day trips where you leave home in the morning and you come back in the evening.

• Sounds like a valid reason to go abroad. And that Scandinavia trip would be exciting :D

• Depends on the country. If I were in Spain, I'd much rather go to other parts of the world and see something different, even though Spain has a LOT to offer, I'd still want to see other countries (though maybe I say this because I've seen the main places in Spain).

Now that I'm in America, I'd prefer to visit other American cities/towns, and once I'm done with that, visit the rest of the world that I've yet to see.

• Yeah I remember when you went to the USA... I was new on GAG than. I guess there's more to be seen in the USA than in Europe as a whole, especially in terms of large cities and rough nature :D

• Agree on that, though Europe has much more history than the US, so in general, it has more to offer, but if we're talking about individual countries, the US offers more than any other country in Europe, mainly because of its size.

• Nope England isn't all that different or fun from top to bottom. The Lake District is ok. I'm like Jeremy Clarkson, see people driving a caravan down to Cornwall or somewhere and think how can you call that be a holiday.

I'd much rather jet off to the Caribbean for two weeks.

• Haha I must say that in the UK I've been in Scotland and I've also briefly been in Kent, and I could pass some nice holidays in both :D

• I'd rather explore the world than staying in my own country. But I don't really have to travel to exotic locations. Staying in Europe is good enough for now. Later when I grow up I want to go to lots of places though, just to see what it is like, going on adventures etc. :)

• Oh yeah, for a close to home holiday you could come visit Belgium... if the weather is acceptable (not like today, very rainy :-( )

• Our historic cities are very nice: Antwerp, Brussels, Mechelen, Ghent, Bruges.
      You don't even like to visit monuments or so, these cities are so touristic that simply hanging around there is nice to do.
      And of course there is the coast, if you come for some days you could for example combine Bruges with a stay at the coast :D

• Yeah the sea is nice, but not when it's rainy haha.
      I'll be sure to visit some Belgian cities one day :)

• Luckily, America is big enough that you can travel the country and feel like you're seeing the world... But I also love seeing the world as well

• Oh yeah! A close to home holiday in the USA is like traveling across Europe :D

• i live in the uk and prefer to travel... just lately i have turned away from flying but i can drive 1000miles in a day so visiting my holiday home in bulgaria by car is something i really enjoy, last trip i was in six countries in one day (including belgium)

• Wow, driving 1000 miles in a day is not something I could do :o
      I've done it by coach, in about 20 hours (one time from Belgium to Eastern Poland and the other time to central Italy). By car the largest I've driven, with 2 drivers on board, was about 650 miles.
      That was on the limit... safe but more than enough :o

• the vote was close and since the morning after 7% of leave voters have changed their minds. the others dont seem to be able to see they were lied to but it is what it is and i personally plan to leave the uk permanently before we build our 'wall'. going to apply for bulgarian residency early next year and hopefully make the right moves to full citizenship as soon as i can

• Good plan... the UK decided to make itself a sinking ship, with Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland probably leaving soon. They'd have had to think before voting :o

• There is so much I haven't seen yet in Canada. I don't mind travelling abroad, but also don't have any great urge to get murdered by bandits doing a backpacking holiday in some foreign hellhole.

• Yeah, your country is a little larger than mine!
      Here in Belgium the largest distance, from one corner to another, is about 200 miles. In Canada that would probably be the distance to travel to buy bread haha :o

• Most of mine have been like that. But it's gonna change once I start travelling in the future.

• Oh I see, you have one of these cars from "Back to the future"? :D

• Rather to go mexico or something, but I rarely go on vacations. If I get time off I'll do something fairly local!

• I can enjoy that as well... will be 2 weeks off from work in a few days and I'll be hiking and visiting some places close to home, just 1 day trips by car, or even by foot from home :D

• Haha I had a job that was actually kind of like a vacation, weekends we went hiking all day with rifles. They called it hunting but we didn't see shit haha.

• Yeah, I enjoy staycations. There's plenty to do and see here in the NY Metro area. I often venture to NJ or CT if I get bored of NY.

• Sounds great! I guess the distances you cover when traveling to the next state would mean international transport here... distances are small in many European countries given our high population density.

• @SoAddicted, I know this is weird, but I'm actually a TB Bucs fan. I don't mind the Giants though!

• The Giants sucked the last few years

• I don't know about "close to home." Like, I reside in the Miami area of Florida, but my favorite in-state vacation spot is Tampa, which is four hours away.

• Yeah, in the USA the distances are a lot larger... 4 hours from where I live would either get me 150 miles into the Netherlands or France, or about 50 miles into Germany! The next city from where I live is about 20 min driving away. Everything is close together here :o

• If it involves Pizza and Sex yes... if not... no. I'll travel thank you very much. >.>

• C. I've seen Belgium enough already, to be honest.

• I voted other, by which I almost mean the opposite of B.

Summer is a great time where I live, people come here in the summer. It's more spring time where you want to leave and go somewhere warm.

• That's nice, when home is a nice holiday spot. I consider it one too :D