How to commit to reading a book without abandoning it?

Each time I pick a new book that a really like, i end up abandoning it. I don't know how people finish reading a book in one week

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't schedule it, then it feels like a task, or a problem, or work. I do not live reading, but have done a lot more over the last year and a half due to just being bored on lunch. You read if you want and don't if you dont

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell yourself that you're going to read 20 pages today. (or whatever amount u feel like reading)

What Guys Said 9

• There's nothing wrong with abandoning a read. 4/5 times whatever I pick up will be cast aside.

• Perseverance, some books can start off slow and pick up towards the end. Also look for genres you enjoy be it fiction, Sci fi whatever but make sure it's something that you enjoy. Personally read a lot of crime thriller and Sci fi fiction books and yes some are slow to start but pick up towards the end

• If it's slow in the beginning, then most likely i'm gonna end up abandoning it and find it boring

• But mostly scifi and drama

• Ok, then as suggested by another reply maybe look at short stories or audio versions as you can listen and do something else at the same time

• Haha set yourself a goal and dedicated time to finish it, hack at it until you get it finished

Remember to relax though

Drink some tea, be comfortable in a nice cosy quiet place

• Read a chapter a night.

• By finding a very good book xD

• That's kinda hard to find. That is like saying "Find the right guy" When you know.. when it's difficult to finding the right person.

• I somehow just don't really like the hunger games while everyone likes it. I hardly liked the 1st movie.

• I honestly expected more fighting and gore, but I guess it's no movie like that xD

• I can never drop a new book but I can't finish an old one.

• well not picking a shitty one, would be a good start xD

• Yeah... Going to a book store or library and having no idea where to start searching is overwhelming 😂

I think it takes too much time though, ifi have better stuff to do

I just finished one book and putted on the shelve. I was gonna get another one today, but... I'm too broke xD A library doesn't have what i'm looking for. I honestly don't have better things to do.

• read it in one go.

• just wait till the movie comes out. fuck reading.

It has benefits in a lot of things. It could help me get in a good university ;D

getting good grades and having good communication skills will help you get into a good university.

What Girls Said 10

• I've read tons of books and sometimes I was tempted to stop finishing the book, cause It was not that interesting for me, but every time when such thoughts came in my mind, I would persuade myself that I was not average reader, I tried to guess what writer wanted to say, why did he/she wrote it in that way and I hated to leave something when I was not done thus I always finish books, always. and It made me more strong-willed and I do not regret finishing them, cause each of them gave me a lot.
    Do it for proving yourself that you can finish them and that you are strong willed and patient.
    If you still can't It is not a tragedy.

• Pick something you really want to read.

I may like 3 different books, but I would end up reading the one that would capture my mood or something.

So say I have a one that would create suspense, another that would make me feel motivated, and then lastly one that would make me laugh.

Depending on my mood, or what I want the book to make me feel, I would go with that one.

• Pick a book that's interesting to you

• Start with shorter books.
    Select a specific time to read. ex) before you go to bed, read for 20-30 minutes.

• lol i do the same thing, I don't know im like a chronic book dumper.

• pick an interesting book?

• Buy the book. Then you'll feel the need to finish it to get your money's worth.

That's the thing, if I have to finish it and the book is not that interesting I'll have the urge to abandon it and I will.

• If you're really struggling then I'd say make it a thing in your schedule (if you have a schedule). So you could go "I'm going to do this, then this, then read 2/4 chapters of this book, then do this.." etc. I find it helps with getting through books.

• Try to read a book that really interests you. Read a chapter or a few pages each day and make a schedule for yourself. Eat while you read. That's what helps me to stay focused because I get that satisfying feeling when I eat and read.

• Try audio books. Or start of with shorter novellas...