Do you think it's difficult to commit suicide?

There's this notion that those who commit suicide are cowards, but those who once attempted, or wanted to attempt suicide, have said that it's very difficult.

So what do you think?

• Yes, it's difficult
  • No, it's not difficult
  • No, and they're cowards
  • I don't know
I'm just curious to know what people think about this, it has nothing to do with me, so please GAG, don't remove the question.

Most Helpful Girl

• If someone really wants to kill themselves, they will.
    Jump off of a tall building.
    Jump in front of a bus.
    Blow your brains out.
    These are ways that will end it immediately.
    Someone saying they "attempted suicide" is a HUGE cry for help.
    That person really doesn't want to die and is looking for someone to help them out of this before it is too late.

• What's wrong with crying for help? I think is best for someone who has delt with feeling like they want to commit suicide to tell others and get help with it.

• Calm down. Jeez.

• Take your own advice, you're the one attempting to tell me what I mean by what I wrote.
      I said what I had to say and that is all.
      You could have been "calm" by not responding to my comment in the 1st place.
      Good day!

Most Helpful Guy

• Saying suicidal people are cowards is probably about the most unsympathetic thing to say to some of the people who need a sympathetic approach above all else. People who tend to say this are often in a healthy state of mind trying to diagnose people with serious psychological problems.

• "People who tend to say this are often in a healthy state of mind trying to diagnose people with serious psychological problems."

Indeed.

What Girls Said 32

• Lol @your update...

It's very hard though, I've tried it more than a few times and my sister even had to talk me out of it because she walked in while I was in the middle of it.
    It's one of the toughest decisions and for me personally, yes it was super selfish. It would have been the most selfish decision of my life. Probably one of the only selfish decisions though. I'm so used to putting everyone's needs over mine that there was a point, many actually, I just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted out and death seemed like my only release.
    I couldn't do it a few times and ended up feeling worse about it after.

• For what it's worth, I am profoundly glad you didn't kill yourself, buchita. The world is better with you in it.

Tell me, where do you stand now? Are you living because you want to live, because you enjoy life? Or are you living out of obligation?

• @Bluemax eh I'm in no rush to live or die

• Committing suicide is very cowardly because you are allowing the mental lies, the self told lies to consume you and judge your worth. In truth it depends on the circumstances of the person. For some people suicide can end up in failure, or it can be very successful depending on how well though out suicide plan is. I know a friend of my mom who tried to commit suicide after the death of her husband, and jumped from the almost three story home to the lobby floor from the second floor. However she broke a lot of bones and ribs so she was taken to the hospital. But after being in the hospital for nearly a week, she died of internal bleeding from the fall. I knew of friends that was once cutters, but got better. All of this is psychological. And I always say our life is left up to God. If he allowed you to die, it would happen. But if he let you live even when it is nearly impossible for you to recover from the brutal harm, he will left you live and recover as if it never happen. A lot of things can be done in mysterious ways. Some say its luck, but that only gets you but so far.

Our bodies intact are designed for self healing, unless you destroyed that by eating a lot of unhealthy food or having a poor diet and immune system. But if the person wouldn't have to think about suicide as long as that person has a stable home life. Have a great support system, and has a healthy psychological outlook on life. If the person is gong through abuse, has been emotionally neglected, which is a parental fault, and living in a poor environment at home. Thoughts of suicide becomes common. I've been thought it once or twice in my life, my parents have, a few friends of mine have. And some family members have as well. Its a lot on familial background. Overall seeking help and having healthy relationships can be beneficial. And always look for signs of depression, and other factors leading to a persons mindset and how they function.

• I actually tried to commit suicide countless of times, when I was much younger to be exact. But long story short, I never couldn't. I always thought of my family's pain and what they would go through if I actually committed suicide. They know of my attempts and they were always there.

Going back to topic, I never did it because maybe I was too much of a coward to go through with it? Or maybe I realized that it wasn't the answer. But I don't see people who try or did commit suicide as cowards. We truly don't know what they are or were going through.

I just wish they would seek out help just I did to keep on living.

• Having considered, attempted, and ended up in hospital multiple times, I'd say it's a very hard thing to do. I can understand why some can see it as a cowardly action, as seems like the easy way out, but it's to rid your life of the mental pain and torture you get from your own mind and from other people. The fact that people get so depressed and tired of fighting life and not getting anywhere, in so much pain that death seems like a better, more hopeful option than living, is deeply upsetting. I wouldn't wish those feelings on anyone.

• Sometimes, it isn't hard. Sometimes it's down to impulse and you just can't take it anymore and do something crazy, like jump off a bridge or something similar. But if it's planned out, there is time to think and that's normally what hurts.

• It's different to each person. If you are suicidal your mind doesn't work on the same plane as everyone else. Your mind is fundamentally changed. People who commit suicide are not cowards and to say that isn't fair.

• No it's not, I've attempted suicide before and it's literally the easiest thing in the world unless you don't actually wanna kill yourself so you hesitate.

• It's not difficult, it's a scary thought. If you think about it, a person that wants to commit suicide is only weak, they can't endure hardships. You can end your life in a flicker but is it worth it? I gotta give it to the people that actually have committed suicide, a lot were successful. Take me for example, in the 7th grade I got bullied to no end, and REALLY thought about committing suicide. I had a bottle of iodine in the house back then and I grabbed it, opened the bottle and put it to my lips... then I had a scary thought. "What about my family?" Or "I have too much to live for to die so early".. Bullies will make you want to kill yourself.

It's not difficult if you choose an easier way to kill yourself. Hope I answered your question the right way. But this was from my experience, I think each of us has thought about suicide once or twice in our lives, especially when times are difficult.

• Action itself may need some bravery but to what it is aimed to makes me think that It is a run from life and problem.
    Probably everyone has thought about suicide and me too, when I was 13-14 just thought how could I kill myself in that way that no one has done in the world?
    All the ways of suicide are also tried and I didn't want to be just like everyone so I decided not to think about it anymore.
    My habit of being outstanding made me forget that idea and I am happy.
    I decided that my life should have been lived in a special and unforgettable way and not suicide committed in outstanding way.
    There's nothing brave in not loving and being tired of your own life, there's nothing brave in running.
    What I call bravery is not to surrender to life and fight back, fight till death. Cause no one remembers losers, the only ones who are remembered are rebellions and not the ones who run in the middle of battle.

• I think if the person REALLY wanted to kill themselves then it would be difficult for them. But I don't even want to imagine what they go through in order to want to end their own lives... it painful to think about.. And I dont know how people can call them cowards. I mean seriously, the person is about to take his life away which means they have suffered A LOT to get to that point. We should help them instead of calling them cowards

• It sounds extremely difficult and normally only the people that literally have nothing left and have lost all hope possible. Like when I heard about this japanese dude that committed suicide. He did it on a train and asked everyone in the car to leave with tears going down his face, he then set himself on fire. I don't think anyone could do that half hearted plus something serious must have happened to push someone that far.

• He must have been dead inside if he decided to put himself on fire, that's the worst way to die.

• I'd say it is, I mean your body including your brain react badly to pain obviously so it's going to take a lot of will power to purposefully kill yourself. I haven't tried so I could be totally wrong tho

• Depends on the person, it takes courage, but it's kinda selfish and cruel to the people who love that person.

• It's difficult. Some people will get it done, but it's a freaky thing one way or another.

• I'm sure it is, I mean they are going through so much pain that they can't bare to live anymore, how emotionally painful would that be.

• No it's not difficult. If one REALLY wanted to kill themselves they would do it. I think for most people who have attempted suicide and failed probably never really wanted to die, they just were in a really low place and felt there was no way out besides death. I think calling someone a coward for feeling like that is very unsympathetic and wrong, instead of calling someone names and judging them why don't you try to help? Or get them help?

• Everyone's different. For some people it may be an easy decision and they get it done. For other people, the opposite. It's cowardly though. And selfish especially if u have people who love you or people who depend on you

• yes it is hard to have that decision but not too difficult to do it like you can just take some pills

• Pills are quite painful and they're very ineffective actually.

• I prefer that, at least I won't break my head and make someone clean my blood from the floor

• It sounds very difficult

• Yes it's hard to do

• People are afraid of dying so to actually try to kill yourself is had to do involves a b lot of crying and shit for most

• Actually killing yourself is easy, but the mind doesn't take the idea of 'death' very well. This is one of the big reasons we have religions. There's also the cost of a funeral, and dying-costs and the the idea of the people who would miss them..

• Depends on what you do

• Depends on how much u hate urself. Its probably different for everyone

• I know I couldn't do it. I've always wanted to but I'm too afraid of death.

• Don't mind me, im just posting before gag removes this question

• I never took my life but sometimes once in a while I feel like I get suicidal thoughts in my head all because I'm so sad that my dad died and cause he's not here but as for your question its not difficult

• I've been there and it's hard going through the whole suicidal mindset and being unstable and uncomfortable and unhappy. I think it's easy to lose your life in a blink but it's never easy to make that kind of decision. Never. It's not that these people are cowards! You don't know what it's like so why critisize something you don't understand?

• I would say it is difficult because some people think that suicide will end it all but you could be starting difficulties for someone else or a loved one. Sometimes you want to escape without letting go and sometimes you're not even sure what you want to do. You think about your life and all the shitty things that's happened and then you realize that even though your life is shitty it's yours and you can change it but other times you know you're ready. You know that you need to do this to feel comfort an to rid yourself of all your problems.

• I almost committed suicide... and I can say first hand that it is hard and terrifying. I remember sitting there for what felt like ages before actually useing the knife. when I finally did I felt relieved that it'd all be over but scared of what would happen.
    Luckily for me my mom walked in right as I put the knife to my skin. I hid the knife and she didn't see it. After that I had a nice long talk with myself about why I shouldn't commit suicide. I quite regret the whole thing, especially the scar I have from it.

• Just a note to the people say committing suicide is cowardly your ignorance is disgusting. You've clearly never had to deal with anyone with a mental illness or deep depression. You do realise you can't just snap out of it. And Yes most of the time it's difficult. My friend went out on a cold night got into the freezing water for a swim. After he got out he lied on the ground in shock for hours dying by himself suffering. He didn't die a quick death. He had a very hard life and defintely was not a coward. He was just a person so sad it he just wanted it to stop.

• Yes it is

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 30

• From my own experiences, A, always. Because for me, It's difficult to "self-terminate" because the fear of death and the fear of suffering from great amounts of pain or any other kind of suffering prior to suicide completion is ALWAYS there in the back of my mind and the will to live to survive is ALWAYS greater than wanting to calling it quits and ending it, also because I know it's going to really fucking hurt in the process of ending one's life no matter what is used or how I do it, even if it's suppose to be "brief", as your heartbeat has to stop and you have to completely stop breathing in the whole process of death. I think death is almost like holding your breath in forever pretty much. I know that it already feels very fucking awful even when I try and hold in my breath for about a minute.

I would rather face death alone all the way if that's the last thing I ever do and never give in to suicide despite how greatly unhappy I am with this reality and world for what and how it is.

I think only those people that are really really fucking aggressive and can snap really easily are the only ones that really don't have a fear of the consequences of what they do or how it would result in horrible pain and suffering for them or others will be able to complete their "self-termination".

• I've studied suicide methods, and there is an easy way out through inert gas asphyxiation using a suicide bag. You pass out before you die.

Even to this day, there is plenty of reasons for me to go. However, I would never want my mother to have to endure it. Imagining her suffering made me realize that I never want to cause her pain, and she doesn't deserve it after all she's been through.

• But isn't asphyxiation painful during the moments before you pass out?

• True, but there's probably people that were saved by others after they passed out.

• They tend to be severely brain damaged.

• I've felt suicidal a few times within the last few years, it was more of a logical thought process than an impulsive decision (i. e. I thought about it and it made sense for me to kill myself but my emotions were too tied to being alive, like how you can bite your finger off easily but your brain won't let you) I was spending a lot of time trying to talk myself out of being so scared so I could just do it but I was obviously unsuccessful, although I'm given to understand this is unusual. Currently I'm letting a list of almost arbitrary things get in the way (e. g. "I want to go through my computer and make sure there's nothing I don't want people finding before I die" or "I want to do my washing and clean my room so people don't think I was some sort of degenerate who failed at life so he killed himself" etc.) which is really just excuses for the fact that I'm actually too scared to just do it

• In my opinion, suicide is hard.
    Once it happens its done and its quick but everyone who has done or who has tried has sat up countless amounts of times and have planned out the different ways it can go as well as them thinking about each and every person it will effect and how badly it will effect them.
    I know for certain besides the fear of the pain of the death (which I had plans on how to avoid) thinking of how my death would have affected others gave me immediate guilt and regret for my thoughts despite not being able to prevent the thoughts. I think that's mainly to do with my nephew and niece being a big part of my life and even though I doubt my niece would understand my death, after seeing how she reacted to my dog's death I couldn't imagine leaving her.
    Then there's just close friends that would feel like they were to blame and that they didn't step in in time to help you and it made me feel horrible every time I thought I was giving someone that guilt with the thoughts I was having in my head.

• I imagine carbon monoxide poisoning would be fairly straightforward, it'd be like being put under at the dentist or something.

I think the fear of pain is what stops most people.

• I think taking your own life is a very difficult thing to go through with.

• Of course its hard. But 'coward' comes from the fact that they are too scared to face whatever issues they're having to NOT commit suicide. Suicide is considered the easy way out because yes its hard to do it. But death is a easy and so called 'sweet' release to our everyday struggles

• I suppose it's very difficult. The person attempting suicide is fighting millions of years of evolution which has selected for a strong desire to survive.

• Well I recall an incident where a man put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, however it was at the wrong angle and blew out near the back of his ear instead of his brain. His immediate response was to call 911. Every instinct in us is to survive, no one wants to die they only attempt it because they see no other option available. So yes I think it is difficult.

• I dont know but this reminded me of this Seinfeld joke

https://youtu.be/2gPJpzgPReE

• Difficult in its practical means? No. Its easy to take a humans life including your own.

Difficult to step over your survival instincts? Yes, I would say that should be fairly difficult.

• Your body trying to tell you NO DONT DO EET. I can see how it might be hard, it's still incredibly cowardly.

• Probably, I would assume. I don't know though perhaps it would also depend on the method suicide too. I have no experience in the matter

• my moms uncle killed himself and if i see the pain it caused to my family i could never do that. i could never kill myself because i would hurt them too much.

• Um... why do you ask, friend? :(

• It's easy to kill oneself, but you need to think about the damages it will cause to your friends and your family or the people that knows you

• Suicidal people need help and should be cared for rather than blamed for their death and called cowards. Most suicidal people are not running from anything, they feel the are insignificant and better off dead, so the coward trope is simply untrue.

• Nah, the only difficult thing about it is fighting your survival instinct.

• I'd imagine it would be.

• "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

It's the easy way out as far as I'm concerned

• Yeah takes a lot more ground work too than people think

• yes its very difficult

• Society doesn't exactly try to make it easy

• Only a weak coward runs out of life

• Depends on your method. If you're using a shotgun, there is no turning back

• Its very difficult...

• It's difficult. I speak from experience.

• The act or the decision?

• hard to say. I mean how do you know google is telling you the truth.

• I recently had a family member commit suicide. Sometimes people think its the only way out. I can't judge.