Athiests, what are your thoughts on paganism, wiccan, druidism, and stuff like that?

Is it just another religion like Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism?

I'm atheist by the way.

Most Helpful Guy

• They're just another religion. I like them a little better than the monotheistic religions because they don't condone violence but on the other hand they sound very esoteric to me, which makes me also find them pretty ridiculous.
    In the case of wicca and paganism, they're also just trend religions. Most of the people who call themselves wiccas are just hipsters who try to be extra unique. I don't think they really know or care what wicca is about. It just sounds cool to them.

• Don't condone violence? The paganism of antiquity was extremely violent and barbaric even by religious standards. Just look at the Norse for example who inspired Death Metal, or the Romans who conquered Europe and slaughtered millions, same with the ancient Chinese who used to bury women alive, the Aztecs with human sacrifice, or even the Hindus today who treat their fellow human beings worse than animals because of a caste system rooted wholly in a pagan cosmology. Believe it or not, but Romans converted to Christianity precisely because they saw it as a more mellow alternative to paganism, especially women, orphans, and the disabled. I'm not saying that we monotheistic religions are innocent, but paganism was just as bad if not worse than we ever were. Unless of course you're talking about the organic, marijuana shops-at-Whole Foods hippie New Age types, in which case, I would not consider them truly representative of paganism anymore than wacky televangelists are of Christianity.

• @JRICHARDS1996 Yes, I was talking about the modern new age hipsters and yes, they are representative of paganism because this is what paganism means TODAY. When somebody tells you his a pagan, this is what he means. He might think he's into that whole old Norse stuff but most of the things that modern pagans do have very little to do with the original pagan religions.

As for the Romans, you're fundamentally misunderstanding something here. The Romans did kill people - but not for religious reasons. The Romans believed in a cultural superiority but not in a religious superiority. This is why the Greeks (and many other occupied cultures) could keep their own gods. The Romans weren't bothered by other religions, they wanted to rule politically and they considered themselves culturally superior.
      It is also not true that the Romans converted to Christianity because of its supposed peacefulness. In fact, all the early christians were extremists. They were no different from what

• Al Quaida is for us today. This is why the Romans were very hostile towards them. They wanted the christians to integrate themselves, which they did not do. They were radicals and a threat to the political stability of the multi-cultural empire, just like extremist muslims are a threat to multicultural Europe. The adaptation of christianity followed much later and it took hundreds of years for the Roman empire to really be converted to christianity. Even many normal people felt very critical towards the christians. One of the most important reasons why the process of converting to christianity even began is because emperor Constantinus converted to christianity - and that was in the late 3rd century.

What Girls Said 8

• Meh, just another religion. That kind of stuff is probably what I'm most comfortable with seeing as it's closest to the religions I study, but it's not something that I particularly agree with either.

• It's just another religion like any other.

• Being that peganism has started mor wars killed more people no i dont like them. Romans, Greeks. native americans, egytians... etc have killed billions upon billions in the last few thousand years.. and wiccan is just stupid

• I don't really have thoughts on them. I don't give them any thought.

• They seem like spiritual shit rather than an organized religion.

• I'm agnostic, but I see those just like I do any other religion. People can chose what they want to believe in life, who I am to say what is right or wrong, or what might help them get through their day.

• I'm an atheist but I've also called myself a witch for a long time.. I've been kind of struggling with my belief in magick/chi/whatever for a while..

Paganism as far as I'm aware is a blanket term for a lot of nature based religions including Wicca and Druidry. In general I tend to have less issues trying to reconcile my worldview with them than with more dogmatic religions; afaik they're fairly flexible and non evangelical, for the most part? Plus at least some see deities in a more kind of abstract way (which appeals because for a while I considered pantheism, because of my belief in Universal Consciousness and the Web of the Wyrd etc. )
    Honestly I'd see Buddhism as closer to me probably because Buddhism is an atheistic religion (Buddha was a guy, not a deity), and they have guidelines rather than a dogma
    I try to be peaceful with everyone of any religion though, I don't want to put anyone down.. unless they're hurting people (there's a whole philosophical dilemma there I know, but I have to have my ethics). None of us know who's right for sure after all

• I liked your response. I dated a 'Witch/Wiccan' for a while, and she was really comfortable with that.
      I kind of like some of the North American Native Ways. The 'Spirit Guides', the stories, teaching, rather than 'preaching'! No concept of sin, but a Warrior Code, and Honor, maybe.
      I hate how so many religions try to tell you what to do and have all these rules, and guilt, and punishment, and damnation!!
      If there is a 'loving god' why would 'he/she' want to punish, rather than teach, and guide?

• I'm cool with whatever people choose to believe in order to get them through the day.

What Guys Said 17

• You listing Buddhism there shows me, you have no idea xD you can be atheist and still Buddhist so that religion doesn't fit in there at all. Druidism is basically 100℅ scientifically disproven bs. Wiccan no idea what they even believe. Paganism is even more stupid than abrahamic religion.

• Buddha is a person who lived who later became a god. You cannot be a buddhist and atheist.

• Lol. Hmm. Yea you dont see how thats flawed.. but ok

• @somebodysaycheese I guess humans are flawed and so is everything they come up with xD

• Yep just another stupid religion

• Can't speak for all be to me it's all superstitious horse shit. Like most I'm a materialist/realist and rely on science. If it can't presently be proven then it's just tossed into a bin labeled "to be proven later" instead of just assuming spirits, ghosts, or some god is the cause.

• They sound more like fairytales then anything.
    Christianity, Judaism, and Islam sound more realistic.
    I'm not familiar with the last 2.

• All equal bullshit, but some are fancier mythologies...

• It's just like Christianity and Judaism and Islam and Hinduism and Buddhism. They're all the same to me

• Mostly stuff that is practiced by emo kids and emo adults. My thoughts are that it's just as much of a waste of time as other religions.

• They're all kinda cray, but at least they don't tell you you're going to burn in hell.

• Yeah, it's just more woo-woo bullshit.

• Whenever you start worrying about things for which you have no evidence, you're in trouble.

• I really don't care what yo believe in as long as you don't try to shove it down my throat

• I don't really care about any of that stuff, if that's what they want to believe

• Im very respectful cos I was Viking. Christian later. Respect. Its all about.

• Those religions are less extreme, compared to Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
    Hinduism and Buddhism are ok too.

• I dislike organized religions but I understand personal beliefs.
    I don't consider paganism, wiccan, druidism, and stuff like that more than fads or lures by extremist groups to attract naive people. (or excuse for orgies)

• Just another fucking religion... just like Flying Spaghetti Monster...

• Stupid bullshit.