Is he a murderer?

On my local area's police Facebook like page they had posted an article about a 42 year old man who had been sentenced for killing two young men in a car accident.

The story is that there were 5 men in a car, all between 19-21 years old. The oldest was driving but neither one of the two men who died was the driver. It is said that the car with the 5 lads was at a red stop light at a T-junction when the light went green they set off only to be hit by the 42 year old man who was speeding and did not stop at the red light. He hit the 5 lads on the side of the car and as a result, 2 died and 3 of them got serious injuries. The 42 year old did not know any of the lads, no motive.

Now on the article, the families of the late young men and the 42 year old were arguing. At first, the defendants family was apologising and asking for forgiveness of what their relative has done. This retaliated and started saying "your uncle murdered my brother! I can never forgive him!" and this ended up with several comments from the man's family saying "he is not a murderer! it was an accident! He regrets what he did!"

I'm a bit baffled, would he be considered a murderer even though he had no intent on killing anyone and no motive for killing two strangers?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• Legally speaking, this is called involuntary manslaughter. So no, legally speaking he's not a murderer. Murder (especially first degree murder) is something that a person does purposely and in full awareness that this will lead to another person's death. This guy was simply being careless. It is, however, also not the same thing as an accident. By going over the red stop light, the 42-year old man neglected an important traffic rule and willingly accepted the risk of killing another person. It's not murder because his intention wasn't to kill somebody. It is not an accident either because the death of the other two man was no sad coincidence but rather the result of very careless and dangerous behavior.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, the guy did kill someone out of carelessness. I can see why the victim's family is angry and consider him a murderer, even if he didn't mean to kill. Also, some people ARE just dicks when driving and don't regard others. So, maybe they think he is that type of person (and not just someone who missed the light once)

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• A guy goes into a bank to rob it carrying a gun to scare the people. He ends up killing someone "accidentally". It was while ding the crime, so it is a form of murder. The driver obviously committed a crime of running the red light, so it was while committing a crime, too.

Plus other factors may have played in. Was he speeding? Was he drunk or high? Etc. In any case, he broke the law and killed people in the process.

0|0
    0|0
  • his actions resulted in the death of other human beings, he is a murderer. even if it was an accident.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes he's a murderer, of the 3rd degree. hell probably do 5 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • They call it involuntary manslaughter know one really knows

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!