Would you let your child do pageants?

I never did pageants and I understand it can be somewhat traumatic for kids as they get older. My mom did them as a teen and liked it a lot. I wish I had done things like that as a kid. NOT EXTENSIVE AS TODDLERS AND TIARAS. Just for fun.

• Yes, if they asked and wanted to
  • No, it's unhealthy
  • Take in to context.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I was 15 when I did my first and last pageant. I was nominated and voted to be in the beauty pageant, but I didn't want to do it. My mom never pushed me but asked what I thought. I figured I'd just give it a try, since I had to be interviewed (thought it might help me get over my anxiety of public speaking) and I got to meet some interesting people. I wouldn't do it again though.

If I had a kid and they really wanted to at an older age, I might let them try it out for themselves. It's not really my thing though, and I would tell them my experience.

What Guys Said 8

• I want my kids to understand, from mom and dad examples, that they are perfectly fine being as they are. :-)

Love, peace, hapiness, hugs and cuddles :-)

• So if they wanted to, would you let them?

• They're like beauty competitions

• Well, until a certain age, we can have some control on what they see and experience in terms of tv, magazine, social activities. I would try to make them enjoy much more a walk in the wood, a canoe ride or some camping stuff, more down to earth activites, music, arts... but arrived at a certain point, we cannot keep them into cages, they will have to live thier own life. We are there to give them good guidelies, healthy values and love examples... but they are free spirits as we are all. It would be against my will to go against thier wills as they grow up, even if i do not agree with what they want to do. My dad stills tell me to "get a real job" cause the way he sees employment is not the same as i do see it. I think it's important to do someting you love as a job as he prefer the old conventional rock solid job as our parents and grand parents kenw. I have no power on me, i'll do my own life and there is nothing he can do about it :-)

Same will happend for my kids :-)

• No, no, no. Is Honey Booboo your idol?

• lol no I wouldn't, if she wants to do them when she's an actual teenager that's a different story but not as a child no.

• Seeing all the mothers that are part of it, no it's a bunch of fat crazy housewives with too much time freaking out and crying because their 5 year old daughter didn't win a beauty contest lol. It's kind of creepy.

• Let them? yes. Force them? no. If they want to do it and are mentally mature enough to not want to kill themselves or take it personally if they lose I'd let them go for it. Then again part of the reason I don't want kids and never had any is to avoid actual real life decisions like this.

• Absofuckinglutely not.

• probably not, i bet it costs a lot of money.

• That's true, some people win money for them though and invest it into more pageants/college funds and such.

• Only girls who think they can do it, usually do it, right? Notice I said "usually", not, always

What Girls Said 13

• If she asked when she was older, maybe :) They are expensive, but I'd hope to be established enough to make it happen if she truly wanted it, and only smaller things at first. However, I wouldn't put her in as a toddler or small child, and basically never unless she asked.

• I think I would. There are a lot of opportunities for kids to learn useful skills and a lot of pageants like Teen Miss USA are turning more toward a focus on full and complete women instead of wow she's pretty in a swimsuit.

• I don't think so, no, at least not as a small child. If my kid is a teenager and really wants to do it, I'll probably allow it but I don't want to enter a little kid in something like that.

• i wanted to be in a pageant kid so bad but the whole JonBonet thing happened when i was like 6 an all i got from my parents was a huge " No". But yes id allow my kids to be pageant children

• I think I would too. Maybe once their older and I feel like I am able to give them the understanding that not winning doesn't mean anything is wrong with them and they're beautiful regardless.

• its more to help their confidence and realize their is nothing wrong with hard work and loosing. But im not raising divas so id have to make sure i keep them grounded

• If it's something they want to do and enjoy then I'd be fine with it.

• Yeah probably. Good way to build self confidence

• Totally I wish I was able to do it when I was a baby kid

• I think it's unhealthy and will make my child insecure because she has this expectation for herself and everyone else had this expectation that she needs to be "perfect" and that's not healthy or a good feeling at all.

• nope, don't care for those

• what if your kid really wanted to?

• They won't.
      I have noticed their interests are based on what they are exposed to. My kids will be exposed to different things.

• Hell no.

• ONLY and only if they wanted to and ask me.
    I would wait until they were a teen though.

• No. Not at all.

• Nope. Completely unhealthy.

• what if they wanted to do it, boost their own confidence, or were at an older age. They also have natural pageants.

• Well, different opinions :)

• I think the way someone expresses their confidence is up to them and probably different for everyone. I just happen to be outgoing. I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not you express it to others. It's internal.