Adopted cat owners! What do I need to do/ consider when adopting a cat?

I'm brand new to this I really want a cat for companionship. I've been watching video and getting a little discouraged. Because I'm a Novice at this. what's the process? What to I need to look for when choosing a cat? don't know what cat to choose young or old. I heard you can over rubb a cat and they attack you, that's scary to me. I just want a friendly cat that will snuggle and curl up close to me. Who doesn't mind my touching them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Shelters and pet shops typically have rooms or pens where you can visit with a cat to see if he or she responds positively to you.

Don't be afraid to ask to visit with a cat who looks unfriendly while in a cage or while surrounded by a bunch of other cats. Sometimes they're just grumpy because they hate being kept in a cage or being surrounded by cats who incessantly meow or constantly want to play.

Don't overlook older cats. Everyone tends to want a kitten, and there are good reasons for it, including the extra years you get to spend together, but an older cat can still make for a great pal.

Don't rush to a decision. Spend as much time as it takes "trying out" cats to make a decision you're happy with. Remember, you can't save them all from living a crappy life in a shelter or winding up in a bad home. Feeling bad is not a good basis for making a decision, because you'd feel bad for most of those cats if you got to spend time with them.

Yes, cats can be picky about how much attention and what kind they get. I had a cat who loved to sit on my lap and be pet, but only for about five minutes before he didn't like it anymore, at which point he would nip my hand. My current cat won't sit on my lap, but he'll sit on my desk while I'm trying to work or next to me on the couch and will let me pet him for half an hour or more. Eventually even he though will get up and move out of reach when he doesn't want to be pet anymore. Learning your cat's idiosyncrasies is part of the fun.

Most Helpful Girl

• Most cats will want to snuggle with you be petted. It's good for the cats and humans.

I'm honestly curious as to what videos you're watching because most cats don't attack people.

I feel like you should look for an older cat because you won't need to train it as much as you will a kitten. If you go to a shelter and tell them that you're a first time cat owner and want a cuddly cat they'll help you find cats with those personalities

What Guys Said 6

• Probably the most important is to learn about your cat breeds. Some of more friendly and like being held and cuddled, others will kind of do whatever they want based on what they feel like.

On searching there's a lot of positive feedback on the Exotic Shorthair being super friendly and affectionate. Plus they're really funny-looking:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...7055bb2d5f.jpg

Anyway, try to research your breeds and look around for breeders. Then maybe get a little kind of "dummy's guide" on how to raise cats (they're usually pretty low-maintenance compared to dogs).

• Most cats never attack unless they feel frighhtneed. You have to avoid making sudden or loud movements when near them.

With time, they are as affectionate as a dog, but thy won't follow you around like a dog.

Animal shelter staff can answer any specific questions, and help you choose a compatible cat personality.

• Litterbox, some toys, cat food, maybe a catbed (they usually don't use it). Get one of those water fountain bowls, they don't drink a lot of water and that helps them drink more, otherwise they get constipated and you have to do an expensive vet visit. You only really need to go to the vet once a year.

• Try flushy, flushy. It's this new cat thing, look it up.

• Think less- cats rule and you will be brilliant

• Get a kitten then you can teach him most cats won't attack you if they have been around people and held a lot

What Girls Said 0