Should American Muslims be more vocal and denounce Islamic terrorists more often to show they don't share the values of those who kill in their name?

Explain why

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• They've been doing that. It hasn't gotten much attention and media coverage, but after the Florida attack especially they got together several of the major Muslim groups in the country, and the leaders went on TV live to condemn the act. They've done that after other attacks too, and always issue statements to express sorrow for the victims and disgust with ISIS.

There are also Muslim groups actively engaging with the public to show them they value the same things we do, aren't in any way supportive of ISIS, etc. They've protested against ISIS in the streets, and been on social media making anti-ISIS groups, and posting stuff against them.

There's only so much you can do, though. Also, from their point of view what ISIS is doing is so far away and deranged from what they believe in, that they don't identify with them at all, and that's why they say ISIS followers just aren't Muslims and aren't true believers in Islam. It's a bit like what Christians did when the Westboro Baptist Church was protesting soldier's funerals and holding up "God hates fags" signs - Christians mostly condemned them and said that's not what Christianity is about, and they aren't true Christians. That's what people in the Muslim community are doing too, but to a much greater extent.

Most Helpful Guy

• They should, the Islamic community is the best party to help us fight terrorism.
    Reason: they have the largest chance of being able to influence the behavior of potential terrorists.
    And they should also strongly advise people within their community not to provide any form of support to extremists.
    We see here in Belgium that many extremists were able to hide for a long time, thanks to support from the community they lived in.

What Girls Said 5

• It won't make a difference if they do or do not. The media won't pick it up because that doesn't sell as well as "All Muslims Want Americans To Die!"

• They do although I don't see why they have to they should have to

• Most of them already do

• I tell ISIS to stop killing people all the time but they never text back.

• If I were Muslim I would be afraid to

What Guys Said 13

• Here is the reality. About 30% of Muslims world wide condone the use of violence to further Islam and shariah. On the USA it's about 9%. Obviously the majority is are peaceful, but 30%, even 9% of their large population is still a large chunk. Remember, even though only some actually have the balls to carry out an attack, that doesn't mean behind closed doors there are some Muslims who secretly condone such violence. It's just like most racists don't wear a sign on their chest that says I'm racist, and even if asked they're going to lie to you about it.

Given this, I do think more Muslims need to be more vocal about denouncing this violence if at the very least to increase their own credibility if not to convert others.

For me, there is also still an element guilt by association. I was raised christian but early into my adulthood I left the religion, not because I, my peers, or my church were involved in anything wrong, but I did not want to be associated with an institution that had historically and in some sects still is harmful and bigoted. With this in mind, I feel that islam is another decadent religion and a truly moral person wouldn't follow it period, regardless if they are law abiding or not because their very support of the religion, is an indirect support of an institution that supports terrorism.

Also, I know that many of the domestic muslim associations are linked the muslim brotherhood or other terrorist affiliated groups. For example CAIR (center for American islamic relations) has been unconvered as being a terrorist support group recently by the FBI prompting states like Louisiana to cut ties with them. This is the same group that numerous times has famously sent spokespeople (nihad awad) to Washington to appear and speak next to Obama to condemn terrorist attack.

So basically, to sum this all up, to me and my rational, there is no such thing as a good muslim, but if the good muslims want to try and curb that fact, they need to be a lot more vocal in condemning radical islam, shariah, and other radical islamic ideals. They should also be a lot more active about assisting law enforcement flush out potential terrorist.

• not any more so than they have been. and in reality no they don't need to be the spokesmen against people simply because they share their religion

I don't think we should ever expect everyone to speak out against people simply because they share some simple quality. if they want to speak out that's fine. bu tthem simply being good people is really all they have to do.

• I think that it should occur naturally to people that the actions of a minority in a certain religion does not depict all other followers.
    Just like you don't hear christians publicly condemning KKK or the christian crusades, or germans publicly condemning hitler, why should muslims condemn ISIS, al-qaeda etc? If we want muslims to condemn terror organisations (who commit terror in the name of god/islam), we do that on the assumption that they automatically support them, which is unfair.
    I did not witness even ONCE that christians, either by the media or the public, were asked to condemn the actions of anders breivik when he had committed his crimes.

• Is that a fair comparison?

the KKK - does not due much in the world. Their actions do not sway the view of the world on Christians.

• I think it is. It's not the muslims (the good ones, there are good and bad people in all groups) or islamic countries fault the media are turning the public against them.

• I think anyone in their sane mind would denounce terrorists. No exceptions. But you gotta understand the plight of a regular Muslim, they're doubted and frowned on by the authorities and still hated by extremist groups for not being more 'cooperative'. I don't imagine its easy being a Muslim in the states.

• The doubt comes from people suspected they can be the next lone wolf attacker or part of a terrorist group. If they vocalize that they do not support the violence, over time the suspicion would die down.

• Do you think the extremists would care? These loonies most popular MO is suicide bombing. You've to get to the root of the problem. They've made it clear they won't listen to reason.

• No but if millions denounce the violence, those millions will allow others to see they are not a threat.

• Well there was a demonstration planned in DC against Islamic Terrorism. Only 12 muslims showed up.
    The rest of them will constantly tell you how peaceful they are and their religion too but in reality they are all terrorist sympathisers. They will smile at you telling you how they love you even though you're an infidel. Once you showed kinds and courtesy to them, they will perceive it as a sign of weakness and fuck you up any way possible.

• They fucking do but the media doesn't cover it much. Although it isn't their responsibility to do. They don't have to prove themselves. The majority don't have to share the responsibility with the minority that do crazy shit.

• I think they're already doing that.

• why? fucking goodsense, that's why

• No they should report suspicious behaviour to the Police.

• They do, but they don't get the same attention media give to isis

• A lot of people are writing that they do but I have never once seen it on the news, Fox, CNN or local.
    It would be nice to see some Cleric (?) denouncing these extremists. Maybe their afraid for their own safety?

• the problem is, they really can't do that..

if you're muslim and you believe in the quran, then by definition you have to believe in the bad parts too unless were going to start omitting parts of the quran to suit ourselves

• Yes they should be more vocal and denounce the actions of terrorists. I think it could actually have an impact if American Muslims come together and unite against terrorism in the name of religion. I really would like to see this come about. I saw the Muslim leader for this area comment on TV after the San Bernardino attacks. He seemed more concerned about how it bothered him that the press would ask him questions after an attack, than about the attack itself. Of course he explained in so many words that he didn't like the attacks, but with him being a leader I'd like to see more action and maybe the leaders unite against terrorism.