Is $210 a week on food too much?

>Couldn't lock down an on-campus apartment for fall/spring
>Finally got a room in the senior dorm res hall and locked it in.
>It's basically an apartment with two bedrooms/1 bathroom/ NO kitchen
>I'm a bodybuilder and I can't just eat whatever and go out all the time
>Found food service that sends prepped meals through mail order. 5 Meals a day per week = $210.. 3 Meals a day per week $125. (Good fresh and unprocessed nutritional food designed for bodybuilding)
>If I get the 5 meal then I'll be good but with the 3 meals a day.. I'll have to add in some extra. I was thinking I could buy canned tuna w/ rice cakes and just eat it plain in the morning and evenings. Or I could supplement with a powder source of real food to mix in a shaker.

You guys that are saying it's a waste of money. This is what I do lol. Dedicate a good portion of my life to my physique. I need a lot of food to maintain my body. Not about to go eat out everyday and completley ruin my physique.

Most Helpful Girl

• If it works for you then that's great. I honestly think it's wayy too much, but that is me talking and I have a kitchen to use. If you don't have a kitchen, then it can be hard to make appropriate meals. Especially if you have to meal prep. I'm sure it's not impossible. But it's a lot of work.

If you can afford it then why not? A lot of on campus food is terrible for you and way more expensive. When you break it down, that is $6 per meal (5x7=35, 210/35=6). That's still just under what you would probably spend on take out food per meal.

If you don't think it's going to be enough though, and you will need to supplement. Definitely get some food that you can easily keep in your dorm room. Canned tuna is great, and is often on sale. Rice cakes, again affordable and on sale.

The thing is, if you are a bodybuilder then you do need a lot of food. I don't think people are necessarily thinking on those terms, they are thinking about the average person. When you are a bodybuilder you need more food.

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to spend $90 on food per week and think it was too much. Go to the supermarket, learn to cook, You can buy a fucking lobster for the price of one of those meals. Get yourself a ton of lean meat, freeze it and for $50 you can have vegetables, meat and whatever else you want to have with that for the week and some of that will probably run into next week

What Girls Said 23

• For what you're getting it's not too much. It's probably a little more expensive than what you would pay to just buy all that food at the grocery store and cook it yourself, but that's because you're paying for the convenience of having it prepped and shipped to you directly. Does it have to be heated up? I'm guessing you're allowed to have a microwave or a toaster oven or something, and a small fridge.

I can feed myself, my husband, and two big dogs on $150/week or less, and that's three meals a day for the two of us. So it's not that far off the mark.

• Well I'm not sure how much food typically costs where you live, but ya, that's outragous. I usually spend 50 euro a week. If you're a guy maybe 70, but you can fruits and vegetables cheaply with the weekly offer, just 50 cents per unit and if you don't mind going everyday you can get meat massivley discounted that's about to go bad, if you know you're eating it the same day.

But well I'm assuming you're short on money since you're a student, but I mean if you have the money, go ahead.
    Without a kitchen you don't have that many options. You can easily have breakfast without a kitchen. And even for dinner and lunch I think you'd be better off going to the deli and delikatessen counter in the supermarket. You know where they have hot and otherwise freshly prepared food. Here they normally have a whole, cooked chicken for 3-6 euro and that should last you a few days. If you can just get a microwave, a kitchen and one of those electric stoves you can make most meals yourself.

Anyway, it's up to you

• A rice/pressure cooker or crockpot are also super useful and they start at like 20 euro and you can basically use them like a saucepan and more

• Well, I guess it depends: can you afford it?

If so, then considering your lifestyle and limited resources then I'd say its your best bet, assuming you can't find a cheaper alternative. You'll likely have to get creative for your in betweens though.

If you think you'll struggle financially as a result then I'd say you need to start looking into potential alternatives. I can't say I'm super familiar with such services but I'm sure with some research you could find something.

• Jesus fucking Christ that is a ridiculous amount to spend on food, that's more than people's rent!

If you don't have a kitchen I suppose there isn't that much choice if you need to eat healthy a lot.

Is there not someone's kitchen you could use once a week to make up batches for the week? Then you can make sure it's healthy and has enough energy but not spend someone's wage every week on feeding yourself... because $210 is a CRAZY amount of money. I spend £50 a week and that feeds two, sometimes three people...

• I reckon that's understandable. So you're getting 5 meals per week for $210? So per meal is $42. A gourmet meal from a restaurant doesn't really cost that much. I guess taking into account Packaging/postage and handling. It's not to bad. That should be your main meal of the day (So dinner) In the mornings you can eat like cereal, fruit, and snack out throughout the day with a shake with powder mixed into it then have the meal.

• it u can afford it... its all up to you and your stomach bro
    s2.quickmeme.com/.../...689848299124d0ff030436.jpg

• I dont even spend $210 a month on food!

I feel like you are wasting money. You could go grocery shopping and buy food to cook from scratch.

Honestly if you lived in my area you could just pay me and I would cook for you and you'd have some money left over wtf

You want me to give you some recipes?

• Do you think you can afford given everything else you'll need to spend money on? If so, then I say go for it. It makes your life easier. You won't have to search around and figure out how to prepare your meals. If you can't, then I'd look into either the three meal plan and use those extras that you mentioned or look into alternate meal plans or ideas.

• For me it is, but I'm a girl and therefore, eat significantly less than you do. $210 is my budget for like...2 or 3 weeks. It really depends on if you can afford it or not. But you're also into body building and stuff so I have no clue. IF you can afford it, then do it.

• It's a lot. But people have that one thing they usually spend their money on. If food is it for you or you just like doing it and can afford it I'd do it. I know I'm around $150 a week. I prepare 90% of my own food though but my mom takes me out and spoils me on the weekends. I eat gluten free and no processed foods so that does jack up the price. Maybe go 3 meals with a nice snack you find?

• It's way too much to spend but worth it to keep a sexy body. If I were you, I would choose the 3 meal per day, to save more or be more 'economic'. If you can afford it and all the food costs won't leave you completely broke, then it's perfect.

• i spend about 100-140 a week on shipped. that's a delivery service that will pick up food from publix when you use their app. do you cook? it could save you a bit of trouble.

• I would probably do the 3 meals a day and do what you said. You're spending 85 dollars for those 2 extra meals... Lol not worth it in my opinion

• I don't think that's too much.

• No, looks right for me... i mean, if u can afford it.

• As long as it's healthy food I think it's worth it

• It is! I spend 500 in a month

• Thats not too much bcs you workout and stay healthy soo...

• Yes it's waayy to much.

• I spend $220 weekly for 3 people and 2 cats

• $210 would last me for about a month.

• That's how much my family of 6 lives on a month for food..

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 9

• If you can afford it, eat it.
    But it sounds insane to me.
    I had to live for 8 months on foodstamps. I fed myself on $180 a MONTH and didn't starve.

• No that's not too much

• It seems like a lot but you are body building which burns the groceries, so it is to be expected.

• The real question is can you afford it, if you can then go for it. Or cook from home and save money.

• As long as you make $1000/week or more then you're straight.

• Go with the 125 week. 210 for food is too much. Next thing you know you can't pay rent. Just looking out for my bro.

• That's too much yes

• Depends on how you budget

• No way