Do unborn baby's belong to both parents or just the mother?

i was just thinking about this so i decided to ask do unborn baby's belong to only the mother before the baby is born or both parents as in legally, morally and biologically

Most Helpful Guy

• Biologically, it clearly belongs to the mother, as it is inside the mother's womb.
    Morally, it doesn't belong to anyone. Unless of course, you consider the possession of other human beings a morally justifiable (I accept the argument that unborn fetuses aren't full-fledged human beings but for the sake of argument, I think it's fair to say that a fetus in the 8th or 9th month is at least close to being a human being). Legally, it depends on your area of jurisdiction of course. However, to my knowledge, most countries do not have clear legal rules as to the possession of the fetus. There are legal rules set as to certain practices that related to an unborn child (such as abortions) but I don't think there are any specific rules regarding the possession of an unborn child. Hence, legally speaking, we're walking in a grey area. So the closest answer would probably also be "nobody".

• thank u for that very informative explanation but i would have though that Biologically and morally it belongs to both as half your dna comes from each parent

• Like we already discussed: you can either argue that the unborn child is a product of both parents' DNA, hence it "belongs" to both parents. Or you can argue that though the sperm is required to create the fetus, it doesn't belong to the father because it's still inside the mother's womb and if things would go like many thousand years ago, the father wouldn't care too much and the mother would have to be pregnant and give birth to the child on her own. It's basically a part of her body for the time of pregnancy.

• oh ok but i like the former batter as that way the baby has both parents

What Guys Said 14

• It is such a grey area - It depends on the dynamic of the relationship of the parents hopefully there will be a mutual understanding of the situation - The grey area is when there is not mutual understanding so I honestly can't give you a full answer but I would say that I would have to review each situation case by case.

• It's feasible but not simple to determine the embrio's or fetus' DNA before birth, thus it might 'belong' to some unknown guy.

• i know that but i was thinking why do people say that a fetus has a mother but no father until birth even if the father is known like say if a couple have a baby

• I think it belongs to the females. That's how it works with animals too. Males go and fuck a female. She gets pregnant and takes care of the little one, while the male has already fucked ten others in the meanwhile. And some females even kill the male after mating. It's true that the mother is more important for the kid than the father is, so the kid should belong to her.

• i am asking as in dna wise

• Both created it, so it belongs to both.

• Didn't you get the memo?

Women have rights, men have responsibilities..

• If u want to try saying that it doesn't belong to the dad because the baby is inside the mom then the argument can be made that the bebeh does not belong to anybody

The baby belongs to both parents

• ok how about legally

• Because courtrooms aren't perfect

• i agree and just think if people say the baby is just the mothers then you can say if it just only your baby i do not need to pay for some Else's baby lol

• morally and biologically of both parents, but im not too sure legally.

• i agree with the morally and biologically but i am unsure about legally myself

• The law says that fathers have zero rights.

• If it takes to people to make it then it belongs to BOTH of them.

• but the law disagrees and so do most women

• That idea is bullshit. I dont care what the law says it doesn't make it right.

• i agree

• Legally n the US it is the woman's property and a part of her body.

• but why if it takes two to make a baby so with your logic you have no basis for child support as the basis for child support is the man is half the reason the baby is here right so if it is not his but the women's property as you say then all basis for child support is gone

• what does that have to do with if a unborn baby has to parents before it is born

• Kids aren't fashion accessories...

• Who said they were?

• @Thisperson98 She's treating kids like an item that belongs to one or both parents. Biologically they are a part of each parent. They're not an item to be fought over. From an ethical stand point they are something both parents should help to foster regardless of what they think of each other. Treating a kid like an item is fucked and I guess you are too...

• i agree with you but i was asking why do people think the baby is just the mothers before birth as in they say the unborn baby has no father until birth

• It belongs to both parents.

• Legality might depend on where you live but realistically... LMAO

• Both parents unless you consider women nothing more than baby factories or men just ATMs.

What Girls Said 5

• Obviously both parents, though the majority will tell you different.

• i mean as in a legal sense and moral sense

• Cause they're idiots.

• but the law says it too

• This child was made by both, so it's safe to say the baby belongs to both parents.

• You can't make babies without a man.

• but who does a unborn baby belong to legally

• Because our society allows them to.

• i know i take it you are for equal rights for both mothers and fathers

• Both, if they have any decency and aren't selfish.

• If I'm pregnant with a guys baby after a one night stand I'm not telling him, I'm just aborting it. I don't give a fuck what he wants, I'm not obligated to carry and care for a child

• you would not even tell him why if it is his baby too

• but doing that would probably cause more pain in the long run as lets say it lasts then if they find out you could ruin your relationship or if they do not find out then you would feel bad having to look at them everyday knowing you killed their child without telling them

• Depends if it turns into a dysfunctional family the guy may not be grateful even if they don't say it and that would be horrible for the kid.
      Sure plenty of people want kids but a bare minimum of 18 years of time money extra worry's and limitations isn't for everyone.
      It's better not to have a kid than to do a bad job raising one you don't want.