What should I expect?

So my mom wants me to go to therapy and I'm going to soon. (After talking to a counselor at the courthouse yesterday when my dad got off with probation and anger management)
I have to go to therapy at least 3 times.
What should I expect when I go?

Im not worried, i know i won't be judged and i know they wanna help but im just curious as to what to expect is all

Most Helpful Guy

• Psychologists just hear ur problems.. it's talk thearpy. And can figure out the root cause of the issues. But they don't prescribe meds.. that's a psycharist.. in the begenning it is gonna be awkward. Cuz he's a stranger. But that will go away after a few sessions..

I've seen multiple psychologists..

Most Helpful Girl

• It's actually really nice going there. I've been going for a year and they're really chill, they may ask you to tell your story at first but they're honestly there to help you 100%. If you open up and be honest, girl i promise it's gonna help. They aren't gonna judge you or tell anyone anything you say unless you are in danger. But they will go over all that. You can talk about all the shit in your life and once you leave you don't have to bring all that stuff with you. Don't worry at all, you benifit from it if you want to

What Guys Said 3

• Oh fuck, I'm sorry to hear that.
    How are you holding up and are you still going to live with your mom

• "I have to go to therapy at least 3 times.
      What should I expect when I go?"
      Really, they will ask you questions. Its best if you answer the personal ones but I was never forced too.
      The best thing to do is to get at whats really bothering you even if it REALLY is uncomfortable to talk about. You feel bad for a few days but in the long run you feel WAY better.
      I've had to do years of therapy

• im fine and yes ofc

• Thats good at least.
      I'm glad to hear you are okay

• Chill girl it will be ok.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• They will sit you down and go through the rules. Usually it's "this is a safe place and everything is confidential unless you express genuine wishes to harm yourself and others"

Then they will say something like "how are you feeling" and if there is a reason why you are there they might ask how you feel in terms of that.

You might be given exercises or information to read outside of your sessions.

It's not scary and it is good if you go in with an open mind.

• My mom is a therapist. It's basically a safe place. Everything you say is confidential and you can say whatever about whoever. The therapist can't tell anyone. They will ask you questions and they will want answers but they won't get mad or frustrated if you don't answer them for whatever reason.

• Hey jade!! Therapy is good. Gives you coping skills! So don't worry one bit.

Just a lot of going through your past. Then them asking how you feel about it. A lot of healing. Well that's what they say. Just remember one thing.. Not every emotion in life, especially the one you feel can be labeled!! ❤️ Other than that. Have fun.

• I've been to a therapist a few times, and for me, I really enjoy talking therapy. A lot of the time it is just me going on about my life etc, but I forget that they're also a source of knowledge. My recommendation to you is to ask questions whenever you feel the need, as it's a direct way of getting advice.
    Good luck :)

• There's not much to expect but what you are looking to get out of it. If this is something you feel you may need it will be totally different then if you are just saying ok to appease your mom. They may asked personal questions depending on the background of why you would need therapy. You can learn a lot just by listening if and only if your open-minded to what they have to say. Good luck

• it be fine you just going to be talking to the therapist they will just listen to what you be saying to them that's all

• Tell the therapist about what is bothering you and give as much info as you can.

• Good luck with everything and really gad you have help now <3

• You're gonna sit down and talk to someone for an hour and what you talk about is up to you