Can the police do anything about this guy who continuously harasses me at my job?

He's the type of guy where if u don't flirt back or accept his attention, he gets really ugly with u. I'm not the only one he does like this. I've heard numerous female workers from different local stores have the same problem out of him.

He calls me names ( not cursed words) and insults me everytime he sees me. He does it because he knows I won't say anything because of my job. We're really big on customer service 😑. So I just ignore him by not speaking and he makes a scene. There have been times he would purposely cross paths with me or linger around my working area to bother me.

The last two occurrences, he made a scene and got managers involved. But this time, I was off the clock and he came back in the store , after checking out, to bother me. He makes up all these lies about. It doesn't work because thy know he is and they know how I am. I try to avoid him but it doesn't work. I'm afraid that he'll speak the right person to get me fired.

Can the police do anything about him harassing me? I highly doubt my job will.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, of course they can help. I am sure harassment is also a crime, I am sure every country has their laws to protect victims against this crime. Yes, what you are undergoing is harassment so you should take immediate action and approach the cops.

Get this to stop, the more you think and hesitate the more courageous he will get and will continue his behavior, so I would suggest act fast.

Most Helpful Girl

• The real question is why haven't your managers done anything to protect you and the other female workers? Problems like that are bad for business and make other customers uncomfortable. You shouldn't have to put up with that.

• They are either falling orders or just care about the money. He had a reputation for behaving this way around town.

• Document everything that's happening. The time and dates you're being harassed, when you told your managers, and what was done as a result. This is really an HR issue. If you feel your safety is at risk from a rowdy customer, management needs to do their job. It's Walmart, not a strip club.

What Guys Said 15

• Police? Don't be stupid. Go to HR. Go to your boss. Go to his boss.

If the company doesn't do anything, go to a lawyer and sue.

• you need to address the issue with your job first probably going to Human Resources... the police are going to tell you to do that first before they intervene. your job has a responsibility to foster a positive work place where people don't feel harassed or threatened

• From what you say he is a customer, not a co-worker. If he harasses you your manager should ban him from the store. That is what happened to a neighbor of mine; he was passing notes and flirting with a cashier at a local market ( they BOTH were married), against her wishes. Finally the manager told him not to come in any more.

• They aren't going to ban him. Even if they did, it's not going to last long. I've seen this happen with people who've been fired and banned for stealing.

• I don't know but it wouldn't hurt to try. I just don't want a customer to drive me away from my job, willingly or by force.

• Do something to document his behavior, and get witnesses.

• What your describing. is harrassment! And that is something you could file a report with the police. especially if he is repeatedly coming to your place of work, also you could get a restraining order to!

• That's what I think I'm going to do. The only thing I'm iffy about with the restraining order is will that really keep him out

• I'm still going to the police station though

• Once you file a report, he cannot CANNOT come anywhere near you at all and if he does the police will be there to arrest him! Plus thats jail time he would have to be dumb asf to still come mess with you!

• Can't you talk to your managers about it? It's their property.

• It's Walmart. I've an assistant manager and to customer service mangers. All said to get a manger involve when he comes through my line. But I don't have to be a register for him to harass me. I'm hesitant about going higher because depending on who you talk to, they'll side with him. Plus it might be useless anywYs because he's been doing this for years to other female associates. They already know how he is.

• They aren't. It really just depends on who u talk to, sometimes. It's really the store manager. I've seen and heard other cashiers talk about how customers have cursed, hit or thrown stuff at them and the manager didn't bat an eye. I'm only stay with this job because it's the police job that'll work with me and school. But I'm going to the poLice station tomorrow

• It may be pretty hard to get a restraining order and working in a public business may complicate it but a report and inquiring is probably the best way to start.

• If your managers have gotten involved and haven't done anything about it you could speak to your manager about "hostile work environment" I would email him/her so that you have a written record of the transaction, and if they don't step in then if you are in the US go to the labor board and file a complaint. If not in the US Google "hostile workplace" for your area, in most of the first world you would have legal recourse.

• yes, you can call law enforcement on him.

• Yup, u can go to the police department and u may be able to get a restraining order against this guy.

• If this is the US, then your employer has a responsibility to provide a safe workplace free of sexual harassment, whether from another employee or from a customer. If your employer won't deal with it then you could consult an employment attorney.

• lol get his number il say im your cousin from the UK il sort the prick out no problem!

• yeah def. report his bitchass to the police.

• Yes get his info and take it to them they will tell you something like "clearly ask him to stop and leave you alone one or two times and if he persist then you can open a restraining order" thats what happened when my froend got ine againts some dude

• Tell your supervisor or human resources dept. Harassment is illegal.

• Probably skirting the system, and since he's off the clock probably not

• Just your job can unless you get an order of protection against him

What Girls Said 5

• Not really as theyll just say it's a work matter and to speak to them

• That's what I wondering but I know my job isn't going to do anything

• It's worth a try though. And if a manager doesn't help there's always someone higher to speak to

• Your company has to protect you. Go to HR or your boss and if that doesn't work take it higher. If they fail to do anything, threaten legal action and contact a lawyer. Then contact the police and report the harasser.

• Of course, you could record him but call the cops.

• No the police can't do anything about it but your boss or his boss can do something about it. Human resources can do something about it. If they don't do anything about it then a lawyer can do something about it because harassment is illegal.

• You could file a restraining order

• I was going to go up there anyways to find out in the morning but the only thing I am kinda iffy about is that it's walmart. I know it's hard to file one when its a really public place.