Is nigga offensive to you black dudes?

well i know "nigga" means a person that is originally from Nigeria, I'm a mixed of both black and white (you can see my profile picture) and we call each other nigga as friends (just for fun), i was just wondering if it offends black guy or not? i mean is it okay to say it in front of my black friend?
is nigga offensive to you black dudes?

Most Helpful Girl

• We'll do people say "what's up whitey" .. Or what's up "brownie"... No they don't... So I don't see why peoples would think it's okay to say nigga to someone... However ThEy do call themselves that so in a way they sort of impose it on others.. Yet they become defensive about it...

For example if I said "hey whitey" or "hey brownie" to others, I shouldn't be bothered by other people referring to me as such.. Or lse I wouldn't do it either...

So if it bothers them THAT much, I strongly believe. That THEY need to stop using it themselves as a general term if they don't want others to use it as well.. It's just common sense to me.. Don't use it if you don't like it, and nobody else will either.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm black, and I don't care if I hear the word around. But I don't say it. Personally, I think it's incredibly disrespectful. I understand the reappropriation of the word by African-Americans to subvert the hatred and contempt it represented, so I don't care if someone born in an environment where that word was used colloquially from birth uses it. But the appropriation of the word by suburban households and kids who use it just to be "cool" or "hip" is very distasteful.

I think often times when people use it flippantly they aren't conscious of what it means, or what it represents. I'm aware there's a double standard as some people are freely open to use it whereas others are scrutinized for it, but that's because there's a fundamental difference between the sociological history of the term. Although you may use it in the same context as someone raised in Harlem (just an example), it carries a different weight coming from someone bred in that environment, versus you imitating it.

Free speech is a thing, and so you are open to say whatever you want so long as you aren't harming anyone. And using "nigga" isn't going to hurt many (if any) people. I personally feel like it's a word I shouldn't touch since everything connected to it is beyond the scope of my personal worldview.

What Girls Said 3

• kind of

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau

bruh come check this stuff out

• I don't understand how a derogatory word or similar is ok to use if you are of certain ethnicities but if someone who isn't the same ethnicity says it they're called a racist. I have never understood that how does it make it not racist for some ethnicities to say it but others it is. Its the exact same word. Someone please explain this to me. I personally never have or will use that word.

• you're a product of your environment. if you grew up around a bunch of people whose slang included nigga, then regardless of your race, you'd probably use it as well. some people opt not to simply out of respect (eminem), others don't feel they should be stifled now that they've gained a following (Honey cocane).

what I don't understand is how people can't discern the contextual difference between n gga and n gger especially when theyre spelled differently.

people have no problem figuring out the different meanings of ambiguous words... can you cast a spell to help me spell?

• @YourFutureEx thank you

What Guys Said 18

• If your black bro or mixed you shouldn't care what others think becouse what are you bro? A n***** and if there are other black people around they won't care either but opposite race or none blck total different story and just to answer your question blks only get offended by none minority using that word!

• Its only offensive if you make it offensive. And by asking if its offensive, you've already made it offensive.

• I would strongly advise against using that word. Take it or leave it.

• Not really. I don't get offended easily and context is more important than the word. I use it on here more than I do in real life... I also cuss more on here than in real life. The only time where it gets annoying is when, mostly white people (no offense) ask why they can't say it and others can and make a huge deal about it. Like, why would you want to say it? So y'all feel so hurt about not using a derogatory term? Do y'all feel that left out? If so, you probably need psychological help. Not saying you're a racist, but you might wanna consider it if it pains you that much

• offensive... sort of
    but it bothers me that people feel like we should use a word that was used to degrade for generations. so some drop the -er and add an -a. the word is still the same.
    the word needs to die

• I say it all the time. Hell I say it in front of everyone. Only time people had a problem with it is when they wanted to make a problem out of it. If you're trying to avoid trouble it's best not to use it.

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIsc8ooXug

No lol not if don't mean it in a racist way.

• I've never met any that it offended.

• One of my most favourite of all time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQpWQgLcTi8

• As a black dude, I don't want some non-black dude I don't know really well calling me nigga.

• No nigga i don't think its offensive.

• It might be offensive for them, since being called "kebab" by some dudes from online makes me angry as f*ck.

• I would think so, anything close to a word associated with slavery should not be uttered by anyone, not even black folks. If they find it offensive then don't use it in place of the other "N" word. I would think about it from their perspective and think would it be offensive to you? That will be your answer!

• I don't know about your situation, but I would probably hold back from using it at first.

A white person probably shouldn't say ot, unless they don't mind seeing stars lol

• cmon nigga you can't be serious

• My understanding is that it does not.

• yes im white