Is a martial artist picks up a fight (knowing they'll win either way) would you consider that cowardly?

Even if the martial artist were to be inches shorter and lighter than the individual who is your typical average person, would that still be cowardly?

Would that be the same as if that bigger opponent bullies someone weaker and unskillful and obviously wins?

• Yes, the martial artist should be stripped off his/her title
  • No, not really
The only single time I've abused my skills was really against someone bullying a disabled kid. I must say it was fun seeing that bully getting a taste of his own medicine from me. LOL
However, if my mentors knew this they would still be disappointed.

Most Helpful Guy

• A real martial artist is taught restraint, and compassion for all life, and more importantly to never have to use their teachings if they can get away with it. If someone is in martial arts and using their teachings for bullying, they are not being taught properly/and or are a horrible person. Martial arts isn't just fighting, it incorporates philosophy, and life lessons... at least, mine did. then again I didn't learn common styles of martial arts taught in America like Karate (more of a discipline than martial art)... My master once said, a true martial artist can win a fight without ever lifting a finger.

NOW that is completely different than defending those who cannot defend themselves, which is a noble and honorable thing to do. It's also the right thing to do. there is nothing wrong with defending others. callously attacking others is wrong and an abuse of power and or privilege.

What Guys Said 3

• Anyone who bullies others tends to be as insecure and acting on fears as the one being bullied. I don't care if they're smaller and weaker and lack martial arts training. The martial arts is somewhat irrelevant in this case to me.

Those who provoke fights with others unnecessarily without even making an attempt to avoid conflict need to grow up a bit and develop some mental toughness. It takes greater inner strength to be a bigger person and avoid and deescalate conflict. Anyone can create conflict.

• You should never look for a fight, but if you were defending someone from violence, I am all for defending them.

• Only if the're into MMA or Muaythai or something of that nature, I've seen 5th dan karate practitioners get seven shades of shit beaten out of them in street fights.

What Girls Said 4

• Are you saying like, picks a fight randomly on the street? Or gets slotted against a losing opponent in the ring? Because if the former, you can't really strip someone of their title because of a street brawl, and if the latter, usually the organization determines the matchup so it's not really something they can control. They either accept or reject, they can ask for certain matches, but they don't ultimately determine who they fight. And if they choose to take the fight, it's usually for the money, so I wouldn't say it was cowardly..

• I had a family member get his black belt taken away from him after he got in to a fight. It's not worth it to fight, unless in self defense for me.

• Yes, it is 100% cowardly.

• The great thing I've noticed about most guys who can fight and know martial arts suck as boxing, wrestling, judo, karate etc is that they dont missuse it and never look for a fight. You will never see two great fighters fighting in a drunken brawl but with some sort of honour code usually I a ring or dojo.