Is it easy or hard to become a Full Professor at the age of 32?

And how easy/hard it is?

And especially how about becoming a Full Professor at Harvard University or Columbia University at the age of 32?

0|0
4|2

Most Helpful Girl

• That's still a really young age.
    If age discrimination is what you're worried about, that doesn't usually happen until you're well into your 40s or 50s.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say that it was impossible.
    It takes at least 10 years to get a doctorate, which is a prerequisite for such a position.
    Then one has to put in time as a tutor and lecturer, have a body of work published in peer-reviewed journals, while waiting for someone who is in the chair to die or retire.
    Unless someone is brilliant to the point that their IQ is off the scale, I would say that being offered such a position at a university would be extremely unlikely for anyone who was much younger than 50.

0|0
    0|0
    • Youngest tenured professor in Harvard history was 26. But, as you said, he was a freaking math savant who solved not one, but TWO previously unsolvable math conundrums.

What Girls Said 3

• Hard if not damned near impossible. Most universities are looking more for adjuncts because they're much cheaper than a full fledged professor. You better have some cutting edge research on your CV or be someone really special.

0|0
    0|0
  • we don kno we stupid

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, do you think it would be easy?

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Ummm... At that age, it would be pretty hard at Podunk U. Harvard? Not gonna happen.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know there are some people becoming Full Professors at Harvard and Columbia at the age of around 30-35. Just wondering how hard it is.

• First off, there must first be an opening. Those old professors refuse to retire. Second, Full professorship requires an earned PhD, which few can achieve before age 29 or 30. Third, Before full professorship, there are several years as associate. junior, adjuctant (whatever they call the newbies). Tough to jump all those hurdles by age 32.