I need therapy but I'm scared about going?

If you or someone you know has been, do you have any tips that could help?

3mo I booked in my first session today 😊

Thanks for answering everyone 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't be scared. There's no reason to be scared. They won't stab you; I promise. The important thing with therapy is to develop a repertoire with the therapist. You have to form a relationship with them to where you trust them. This requires some shopping around. Not all therapists--like any person or product--are equal. Especially for something like a human relationship, knowledge or skill isn't all there is to it. You have to actively find a therapist that works for you: one that you like.

The first session, you don't have to open up all your deepest, darkest secrets or anything you feel uncomfortable with. Just get to know them, talk about yourself a bit, your general issues you need help with, maybe ask them a bit about themselves. Then gauge how you feel about them.

Focus on the situation, not how you feel. Like any social encounter, don't focus inwards. Focus on talking. If that makes sense.

Well. I have one tip. Don't say anything negative about them. I did that once when I was a teenager, and the guy was a complete douche to me the other sessions until I stopped going. I just made an offhand observation. But yeah, didn't work out. Like I said. They're human, too.

Since you're scared of going, just get it over with. Make a date. Like jumping into a cold pool. Just get it over with. If your brain starts barking at you about whatever it is you fear about it, then just ignore it or distract yourself. If you get a bad therapist, or one you don't think will help any, then just find a different one. You'll eventually find one that you like.

And, don't feel like you're uniquely fucked up. Everyone needs help figuring out their life; and, everyone can benefit from seeing a therapist.

G'luck.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was afraid to go and finally did and then wondered what all my fears were for. I learned this stuff called cognitive behavioral therapy that helps you change the negative messages you automatically feed your mind. It was really helpful.

What Guys Said 24

• I've been to a counselor (what I think you mean when you say therapy). I went to 5 counselors before I found one that really got my issue and was very helpful. It is all just talking (some praying) no drugs, no hypnotizing.

The hard part is you do have to air out some of your life stuff which may be bad, hurt, tearful, embarrasing. But better to do that and get it out and dealt with than have it screw you for all you rlife.

nothing to be scared of (if it is just talking). If it is drugs, I don't know, I don't mess with that stuff and generally don't like that unless very last resort.

my counselor probably talk to you by phone (USA).

• A counselor is what I meant.

I'm not in the USA, but thanks.

• be open, be honest, know that the more frank and open you can be the better it will end up. try to go in with an open mind

• It's like going to the gym. You'll make all the excuses in the world to avoid but once you actually go, it's not so bad

• They are there to help, not judge or condemn. Get to know your therapist and let the trust develop. It will be fine. I promise.

I'm currently having counselling for a phobia that has plagued my life for the last 5 years. It's working slowly, but it's worth it for sure!

• Just like with a doctor, answer any questions thruthfully and completely. They are trying to help you and the more they know the more they xan help.

• I can understand being scared that would be normal, but understand that a therapist is there to help you and being honest with them will help you in the long run.

• If a doctor told you to get a therapy, get it, you won't regret it.

• Depends on what you need therapy for

• he is not someone you of your league so you should say what ever rounds in your mind properly... and keep in mind that he is someone whose job is to listin to people... so whatever you say to him... in a few weeks he won't remember any thing ... so you have nothing to be afraid of

• I was honestly like that my first time, but my therapist put me at easy very rapidly.

Think about it, they have seen this with pretty much every patient, they'll be able to help you through it.

Above all, don't be afraid to tell them anything, don't hold back, and don't lie. It really is helpful.

Also, therapy doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. It just means you have a few things you want to talk about!

• Like to a counsellor? I've been once it was helpful I may go back again. Just try and relax and realize they are there to help

• Just go. You'll have no regrets

• think that therapy is what makes the difference in changing your current state. no more pain but a way to get outta it

• here just listen to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxIC6xXpQnw

• It is kind of like Silent hill, in the sense you will being going some rough spots but you will come out on top in the end

• i wish i could afford therapy but im broke af

• The first move is the hardest.
    If you could just do it... what makes you feel scared?

Being judged and that I find it hard opening up to friends and family

• Honestly, go for it. It's the best option. There's nothing to be ashamed by it.

• The most important part is finding a therapist your comfterble talking to. trust me, I've been in your situation.

• therapy is bullshit.

• How do you know? A lot of people seem to benifit from it.

• Well, what is it exactly that is scaring you about it?

Because I hardly ever am. I think it's because growing up, whenever I tried to talk about things with my parents my mum would tell me she didn't believe me when I was telling the truth or I just didn't feel like I was being taken seriously.

My parents can be like that too sometimes. But, trained professionals know that you're telling the truth, that's all they want you to do, is open up

• it will be fine

• Dont be scared. its for your own good

• I have been going for over 6 years, so you can trust me when I say GO DO IT. Honestly. It's made me a completely different person (for the better!). I hated it first because it's like admitting there is something seriously wrong with you, and that feels horrible, but once you get over that you're all good. Besides, you'd be surprised about how many people actually have a therapist. I mentioned it to some of my friends once and like 6 of them were like "yeah I've been going too". Like woah never expected that!

anyway, go, its good for you!

• Thanks :) that's very encouraging

What Girls Said 19

• Anxiety and Depression runs in my own family here, dear. They have had and still some still do, have 'Therapy,' which goes hand in hand with the Meds that they are on. By doing this, they are Able to lead pretty Normal lives every day.
    Don't be Scared here, dear. Admitting that 'I need therapy' is a Brave way to Pave the Way in Realizing you Need someone More in Store to Guide you along a Rough Road, which only get Rougher without the Help of a Helping Hand.
    Good luck and First baby step is Making the Appointment. xx

• It's scary and hard to take the first step but once you go and get used to going you'll feel so much better. You'll finally be able to get help with the things that are bothering you and find ways to feel better. m.popkey.co/.../b0zvr.gif

• I went. It's scary to take the step but once you're there there's nothing to be afraid of.
    A tip I have is: don't stick around if your psychologist isn't good or compatible with you. For too long I have lingered with ones that were just wasting my time instead of even realising what was wrong with me (I had an eating disorder and partially lied about it).

What worked for me at last was group therapy, it even left me with some very close friends. Depends on the person and on the problem what's the best treatment though. Good luck and I wish you all the best!

• You do't need to be afraid. That person is literally paid to help you get better mentally, so they wouldn't screw it up. Whoever you get will be there to listen to your problems and try to help you get to the root of the problem. If you need it, they can even help you get time off of work/school, and possibly get meds to fix it if you're going for an issue like severe anxiety or depression. Just breathe, relax, and vent to your therapist. They're going to try to help you feel better.

• You'll be fine, they are there to help you out. You'll see, you'll be glad you went. Worst case scenario you don't like it and don't go back to that therapist. I know several people who go to therapy and they are all glad to go. Hopefully the same will be said for you, good luck and remember not to be worried about it or stress 😊!

• Just sit down and open your mouth!

• I've been. But the way I see it as your going for a reason. And they're trained for it. It's confidential so no one has to know. And you don't go in expecting to suddenly tell them everything and they have the answer so go at your own pace

• I've been. Find a therapist you feel comfortable with (if you don't click after a few sessions, find someone else). Be honest; the therapist won't judge you (nothing you say will be new to them), and they legally can't tell anyone anything you said (unless you're in danger of hurting yourself or others). It won't be a magic pill that will solve all your problems. But it helps to have someone to talk to, and they can help you see things from a different perspective. Good luck!

• I went for depression and anxiety when I was diagnosed with epilepsy. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is be honest with them and do any tasks which they set you. The tasks that they set me were emotionally difficult but I am pleased that I did my best.

• They work for you. They are there for you. Be as honest as you can. Relax because it's legitimately not a big deal and no matter what problems you have they've heard worse. If you don't like the therapist get a new one. People don't always mesh or click.

• Try talk therapy. They're therapists that you can write to through their app. That might be easier for you if you're scared to talk to a therapist in person

• The only tip I have, find a therapist you can connect with & feel like you can really talk to. You may have to have initial appointments with several to find that, but keep looking.

Being scared in understandable, esp with the stigma society puts on therapy. Don't let that stop you from getting the help you need though.

• I go to therapy and I know you'll do just fine! I was with my mom the first time so I wasn't scared. :D

• I have been & it's nothing to be afraid of. It's actually incredibly beneficial, or has been for me so far. I go every other Thursday.

• Just go, there's nothing scary about it, it will help you

• Well what is it that you're scared about? Being judged?

• I guess that and opening up to someone I don't really know. I've never been very good at talking about my issues/feelings to people I'm close to anyway.

• They legally can't talk about what you told them to anyone. And they aren't going to judge you... they listen to poeples problems all day everyday. Chances are, they've heard worse

• What is there to be scared of?

Of being judged and opening up. I find it hard it even open up to friends and family so yeah.

It's their job, you're not going to be judged

• Be careful about what you say.

Do not over think.

Stay calm.

• What do you mean by "be careful about what you say?"

• @Alexzktrafied

In my situation, certain things will get you put away. If I said anything that gave a slight hint Kama I would get sent. And in my situation I did end up going to a facility. I was only there for a month.. It's not really good advice, but nobody wants to get put away. Especially if they were just expressing how they feel and what they were thinking

• @Alexzktrafied sorry for the typos, I'm using Google Voice.

• It really, really helps. Just go and get everything off of your chest.