When you listen to a song is it because you relate to that song?

This is a weird question but I was thinking about it. When you listen to songs like a certain song, is it because you can relate or just because you like the song? There are sad music for example and then there are love songs. Would you listen to sad music if you were happy or love songs if you weren't in love?

Most Helpful Guy

• I listen to Avenged Sevenfold and Three Days Grace. Rock bands. Lyrics such as "This is now your life. Strike you from the light. This is now your life. Die buried Alive." And "Pain, without love. Pain, can't get enough. Pain, I like to rough cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all." And I no where near relate to any of these lyrics. I just like the singing, and the music itself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think both. I like listening to sad songs when I'm sad because it makes me feel better, but I'd rather not listen to sad songs when I'm feeling good because it would probably make me blue. One of my favorite genres is classical and a lot of doesn't even have words so I wouldn't say I relate to it but it does make me very emotional. When I'm hyped up I like listening to rock/metal/punk and similar genres. I do enjoy listening to love songs when I'm in love but when I'm not they make me a bit sad. But then there are other songs I don't relate to at all I just like listening to them.. I could even hate the song but just listen because it's catchy. As you can see, it varies quite a lot for me!

What Guys Said 5

• I generally don't pay that much attention to the lyrics, I mainly care about the beat or the vibe it gives off. I also really like instrumentals.

• I listen to songs because I like the song. I mean, how am I suposed to relate to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qcO2VYYdzY

• Okay yeah but I meant songs with lyrics though. But then, why do you like that song? Does it make you feel anything?

• It's just beautiful!

• Yes, either that or just because it sounds good. When I get in a depressed mood (usually) I listen to darker music

• Nope I just LOVE the tune

• I listen to it for the music and couldn't care less about the lyrics.

What Girls Said 6

• I LOVE music. Have a playlist for any kind mood im in. Music helps me feel better when Im sad, gives me the warm and fuzzies if Im crushing, and picks me up when i wanna dance around the room haha ;)

• I relate to it such as & year by LuKas Graham is how my life is pretty much. Among other sad songs.

• Nope.
    Because I like the way they put the words together. You know, turning a simple language into something deep.

Or because of the beat.

• it can be both!

• Most of the time, but sometimes just because it's catchy

• Only occasionally. Most of the time I can't sympathize.