I'm 20. Still have to finish high school. And everytime I see someone younger than me who already graduated, it makes me feel bad?

I graduated middle school when I was freaking 16. Went to high school when I was 17 (turned 17 during summer break) did that for a year then realized that education wasn't for me. I didn't know what I wanted with my life, so I wanted to take a year off just doing nothing and get everything sorted out. We'll that turned into 2 years. Still don't know what I want to do, but I applied anyways just to get my basic qualification so I can at least get a job. Still have to get accepted, nervous as hell for that, but now everytime I see someone on gag for example who's younger than me and already finished high school, it makes me feel bad. This is even keeping me up at night. Should I really feel so bad? Are there more people like me? I could use some ease of mind but I don't know if I deserve that. I was just a rebellious teen during my last few teen years, and now I'm in shit lol.. that's about the entire story... yeah I'm pathetic I know..

Most Helpful Girl

• My sister is dating a man who did not get to finish school due to family problems, some emotional disorders, and other circumstances that prevented him from living his life. Once he dated my sister and she even helped him move to our area, that's when he started making decisions to fix his life. She loves him to death and would do anything for them.

However, He's been here since 2012 and has yet to get his life started. It was us that had to motivate him to work for his GED, and he wanted to go to a technical college to work on a Mechanics license. However, all he likes to do is play video games, day and night, every day, no matter what. And now, he's 27 something years old.

There's a difference in not trying, and there's a difference in genuinely struggling. If you're not fully putting your back into it, then yes, you should feel bad, becuase this is your future and you're not doing much about it to secure it.

Now, this is not to say that finishing high school guarantees you'll live success. Many drop outs or people with bad with education have become successful. But it's best to always have your high school diploma or GED.

I also have admit that schools are kind of strange nowadays. Maybe teachers are not teaching right, or maybe schools don't have their priorities straight, which in some cases, I can't blame drop outs or people who just refuse to go to class.

I'm an almost 30 year-old-woman, and when I see younger people with cars, I feel bad. I road the bus nearly all my life and can't seem to buy a car of my own. So, in that sense, yeah, I know what you mean.

• I'm surprised that guys like him, or should I say like us, can even get a girlfriend. God I don't want to be a guy who plays video games everyday when I'm 27.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not everyone is the same.

I'm 29, and still trying to sort out my personal and professional life. Most of my friends, who I studied with during high school, graduated earlier than me, are well settled now (professionally and personally), earn fat paychecks and some are even married with kids.

But I know I'll get there some day. You will too. Just don't worry too much about it! :)

What Girls Said 9

• There are a few people who are in your position. But you know what you did wrong, and you at least learned your lesson. The past is the past, and don't let in define you. Try to finish high school so that you can either go to college, a vocational school or whatever you want to accomplish in life. It happens. The last transfer high school I graduated from had people who is your age that I went to school with. Kind of strange for me, but it never bothered me. They have their reasons for being there, and I have my chance to do better than what they could have done landed them to fall behind. But it still didn't stop them from succeeding in life.

• Okay. Firstly, from a UK point of view, high school finishes at 15/16. From there you choose college or uni.

I feel ya. I became a carer during my a levels/college/ further education. I had to drop a subject, I got semi appalling grades. And when I came back to complete my final qualification I broke my wrist badly and couldn't.

It's not pathetic. It means life treated you differently. I have been through apprenticeships and I'm now a business owner.

Keep going. You'll be fine. I felt the same.

• Bruh get your ass back to school and then college. Salvage what you can.

• It's funny, You were actually one of those people on here who made me feel bad about this lol
      I'm trying to go back. They just have to accept me. I applied last month and they rejected me. Said I had to pick a different education because the one I applied for then was too hard for me.

• You're welcome and I'm sorry if I made you feel bad. I'm just really honest and sometimes bitchy I apologize for that.

• Lol its alright. Your answer on that other question wasn't even bitchy or anything, and I go and feel bad xD so stupid lol and being honest is a good thing in my opinion :)

• Yes you should feel bad because it is kind of weird but its not your fault. I will say that nobody knows how old are you in high school. Iv seen plenty of older looking kids and i just kinda assumed they belonged there and were my age. If i were you i would LIE about my age all the time.

Also you can still get a teenage girlfriend so there's that.

• Lie about my age? That's not a good way to start a relationship in my opinion

• Never mind you're right, tell them you're 20, that isn't at all weird.

• Alright I will ^-^ I don't like people who lie so I'm not gonna lie myself. Certainly not just to avoid a weird situation.

• Comparing yourself with others won't do anything but make you feel worse. Don't let it bog you down, but take it as a grain of salt. Just tell yourself that you can no longer fall behind.

• I know the feel don't worry. You're not pathetic, we all move at our own pace. Try not to compare yourself to other people's progress and just focus on yourself.

• I compare myself to others quite frequently. That's why I deleted my facebook, I just got depressed by seeing all my friends actually making it in life. I think I'm gonna have to step up my pace before it's too late lol

• good luck man, I hope you can achieve all your goals very soon.

• I know someone who graduated middle school when she was 16.
    You are definitely not the only one. Just try to finish high school and get your life back on track.

• Everyone goes at their own pace

• I feel about the same with uni. . . I've taken way longer (although I did other things that led to the delay), but I still feel like a failure at times. Every now and then someone, who is graduating at 3 years younger than me is asking me what I did before that (and they sound really disappointed if I tell them the truth). However! Most people, including my lecturers at university, graduate or have graduated, when they were a few years older than I am now! So don't worry. Just find out what is best for you and put your mind to it. I think those, who take longer just don't talk about (I know I don't if I can prevent it oO) :D

What Guys Said 7

• Get it done and stop over thinking it. You did what you did.. no reason to beat yourself up. Own it and move forward.

• Everyone makes mistakes or has a few setbacks but if you have a goal, go for it. Life isn't a sprint; it's a marathon.

• I think you messed up with the definitions. 'middle school' and 'highschool' together are the American equivalent of the dutch 'middelbare school'. College/university ('vervolgopleiding/mbo/hbo/wo' in dutch) comes after that.
    So hopefully you won't feel bad anymore now you realise you got the defitions wrong XD. So they basically finished 'middelbare school' and not 'mbo/hbo/wo'.

But I think 20 is still an acceptable age to go to college though! You're never too late to start more education. Better too late than never starting

• Meen je dat nou serieus? Voel ik me zo k*t om niks? XD

• Lol ik denk het xD
      Kijk hier op wikipedia bij K-12:

nl. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Onderwijs_in_de_Verenigde_Staten

• Jesus that's pretty poor I've finished it for over a year now (different country but still) well might as well just finish it now when you get to college (I assume you will) there are older people there especially if you went to community college then you wouldn't feel disheartened.

• I want to go to college. First have to get accepted at high school. Worried they're gonna reject me.

• Did you choose not to go to sixth form or did your parents decide for you?
      If I was still living in the Caribbean I would have graduated this school year and went to sixth form. My parents said it isn't my choice to decide that if I was staying...

• @helloitsmethere the law has changed if you don't have a job or apprenticeship you have to go to sixth form.

• In the US we have the GED. It basically says "you're of adult age and passed a test showing high school equivalent knowledge". Look into something like that there.

• it's okay

• Well what can you do. Just finish HS in whatever age, no biggie